Iowa Falls, Iowa
Iowa Falls is a city in Hardin County, Iowa, United States. Iowa Falls is the home of Ellsworth Community College. It is also a regional transportation center, located along U.S. Routes 20 and 65 and the Canadian National and Union Pacific Railroads. The population was 5,238 at the 2010 census. A landmark in the city is its movie theater. Built as the Metropolitan Opera House in 1899, it presented plays, operas, and vaudeville in the town during the first half of the twentieth century, and today is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Iowa Falls, Iowa
The Scenic City
Location of Iowa Falls, Iowa
|• Total||5.46 sq mi (14.14 km2)|
|• Land||5.38 sq mi (13.94 km2)|
|• Water||0.08 sq mi (0.20 km2)|
|Elevation||1,106 ft (337 m)|
| • Estimate |
|• Density||939.81/sq mi (362.89/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-6 (Central (CST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-5 (CDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||0457829|
The Illinois Central Railroad was built through Iowa Falls in 1866.
Iowa Falls is located at (42.5221, -93.2673).
|Source:"U.S. Census website". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2020-03-29. and Iowa Data Center|
At the 2010 census there were 5,238 people, 2,207 households, and 1,295 families living in the city. The population density was 977.2 inhabitants per square mile (377.3/km2). There were 2,462 housing units at an average density of 459.3 per square mile (177.3/km2). The racial makup of the city was 94.0% White, 2.7% African American, 0.4% Native American, 0.7% Asian, 1.0% from other races, and 1.1% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 3.9%.
Of the 2,207 households 26.8% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 44.0% were married couples living together, 10.6% had a female householder with no husband present, 4.1% had a male householder with no wife present, and 41.3% were non-families. 37.1% of households were one person and 18.9% were one person aged 65 or older. The average household size was 2.17 and the average family size was 2.81.
The median age was 40.9 years. 21.2% of residents were under the age of 18; 12.6% were between the ages of 18 and 24; 20.2% were from 25 to 44; 23.6% were from 45 to 64; and 22.4% were 65 or older. The gender makeup of the city was 48.2% male and 51.8% female.
At the 2000 census there were 5,193 people, 2,215 households, and 1,331 families living in the city. The population density was 1,043.1 people per square mile (402.6/km2). There were 2,412 housing units at an average density of 484.5 per square mile (187.0/km2). The racial makup of the city was 97.34% White, 1.21% African American, 0.15% Native American, 0.33% Asian, 0.42% from other races, and 0.54% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.04%.
Of the 2,215 households 25.4% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 48.9% were married couples living together, 8.3% had a female householder with no husband present, and 39.9% were non-families. 34.6% of households were one person and 18.5% were one person aged 65 or older. The average household size was 2.19 and the average family size was 2.81.
The age distribution was20.3% under the age of 18, 13.0% from 18 to 24, 22.2% from 25 to 44, 21.5% from 45 to 64, and 23.1% that were 65 or older. The median age was 41 years. For every 100 females, there were 89.5 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 85.0 males.
The median household income was $32,141 and the median family income was $42,279. Males had a median income of $31,216 versus $21,004 for females. The per capita income for the city was $18,330. About 7.1% of families and 10.0% of the population were below the poverty line, including 12.5% of those under age 18 and 8.3% of those age 65 or over.
KIFG (Iowa River Radio) 95.3 FM, 1510 AM
Iowa Falls Community School District operates public schools.
This section does not cite any sources. (August 2007) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
- Nick Collison, Basketball player
- Joseph Gomer, Tuskegee Airman
- Kurt Ploeger, former NFL player
- Bill Riley, Sr., Television personality
- Randy Schultz former NFL player
- Jim Trickey, Football player
- Christopher Whitesell, Writer
- Jim Whitesell, Basketball Coach
- John Whitesell, Hollywood Director
- Patrick Whitesell, Hollywood agent and co-CEO of WME Entertainment
- Sean Whitesell, Actor, Writer, Producer
- "2019 U.S. Gazetteer Files". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved July 17, 2020.
- "U.S. Census website". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2012-05-11.
- "Population and Housing Unit Estimates". United States Census Bureau. May 24, 2020. Retrieved May 27, 2020.
- History of Hardin County, Iowa. Union Publishing Company. 1883. pp. 732.
- Gannett, Henry (1905). The Origin of Certain Place Names in the United States. Govt. Print. Off. pp. 165.
- Moir, William J. (1911). Past and Present of Hardin County, Iowa. Unigraphic. pp. 250.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "US Gazetteer files 2010". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2012-07-02. Retrieved 2012-05-11.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- "U.S. Census website". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Iowa Falls, Iowa.|