|• Village head||Mohammad Rais bin Ishak|
|• Total||32.97 km2 (12.73 sq mi)|
| • Estimate |
|Time zone||UTC+8 (Brunei Darussalam Time)|
Jerudong is home to a few notable places of the country. It is the location of Jerudong Park, the country's sole amusement park, as well as The Empire Hotel and Country Club, a luxury hotel which is often regarded as one of the notable landmarks of Brunei. Jerudong is also home to Jerudong Park Medical Centre and Pantai Jerudong Specialist Centre, the country's main specialist healthcare centres.
There had been oil exploration attempts being conducted in Jerudong in the past. In 1914, five shallow wells were drilled but abandoned in the following year due to geological issues. Nevertheless, drilling was renewed in 1940, and subsequently in 1955, by the then British Malayan Petroleum Company, resulting in the six wells being spudded. However, the wells yielded negligible results.
Jerudong is officially a village subdivision, the third- and lowest-level administrative division of Brunei. It is a subdivision of Sengkurong, a subdistrict of Brunei-Muara. The community of Jerudong is headed by a village head; as of 2017, it is held by Mohammad Rais bin Ishak. He also oversees the settlement area of Peninjau.
Jerudong is served by three highways: Muara–Tutong Highway, Jalan Jerudong and Jerudong–Tungku Highway. The Muara–Tutong Highway traverses Jerudong between its northeastern and western points, where as Jalan Jerudong passes through Jerudong in north-south direction; the latter also terminates in the area in the north at Jerudong Beach. The two roads are directly connected via an interchange. They are also indirectly connected via a road which passes through the Jerudong Park area, whereby it is connected to the Highway via an interchange and terminates at the other end at a traffic light junction of Jalan Jerudong. Meanwhile, the western end of Jerudong–Tungku Highway terminates in the east of Jerudong at another traffic light junction of Jalan Jerudong.
The economy of Jerudong is based on a mixture of retail, service and hospitality. Jerudong has a number of grocery stores, restaurants and other types of shops which mainly cater the livelihood of the residents. It also has a fish market: Jerudong Market (Malay: Pasar Jerudong) is located close to Jerudong Beach, whereby the fish and other marine produce sold in the market are mainly catches by the fishermen going to the sea from this beach. The Jerudong Market is one if the two largest markets in the country, supported by the Minister of Home Affairs.
Meanwhile, people who are in the service sector are mainly employed in the specialist healthcare centres, namely Jerudong Park Medical Centre and Pantai Jerudong Specialist Centre, where as those in the hospitality industry are mainly employed in the few hotels located in Jerudong, as well as the leisure facilities of Jerudong Park Country Club.
Education in Jerudong is available in primary level, both general and religious. Jerudong Primary School (Malay: Sekolah Rendah Jerudong) is a government school which provides seven years of general primary education. Similarly, Jerudong Religious School (Malay: Sekolah Ugama Jerudong) provides primary religious education, which is compulsory to Muslim children in the country.
There is no secondary school in Jerudong; resident students go to Sayyidina Husain Secondary School in the neighbouring settlement area of Sengkurong.
Jerudong is home to a few specialist healthcare facilities of the country. Jerudong Park Medical Centre is a private specialist hospital providing both outpatient and inpatient clinical services. It also houses Gleneagles JPMC, a healthcare centre for cardiovascular patients.
Located beside JPMC is another specialist hospital, Pantai Jerudong Specialist Centre, which houses The Brunei Cancer Centre, the medical facility for treating cancer-related cases, and the Brunei Neuroscience Stroke and Rehabilitation Centre, which caters for patients with neurological cases.
Culture and leisureEdit
Jerudong has a mosque: Al-Ameerah Al-Hajjah Maryam Mosque serves the need of the Muslim residents for Islamic congregational prayers and activities, in particular the Jumu'ah or Friday prayers.
Jerudong Park, the country's only amusement park, was opened in 1994. It used to offer free admission, which claimed to be the first amusement park in the world to do so. The park fell into disuse for several years but it was eventually revamped and relaunched in 2014. At present, Jerudong Park features several rides as well as a water park, musical fountain, food court and an indoor amphitheatre for events; the Jerudong Park Amphitheatre once hosted concerts by Michael Jackson and Whitney Houston in 1996.
Jerudong Park is located within the grounds of Jerudong Park Country Club, which also includes Royal Brunei Golf and Country Club, one of two golf courses located in Jerudong and one of the few in the country, and Royal Brunei Polo and Riding Club, the country's sole polo club.
The other golf course in Jerudong is located within the compound of the Empire Hotel and Country Club.
There are a few hotels in Jerudong but the most notable is The Empire Hotel and Country Club. Opened in 2000, it is a luxury 5-star beach resort overlooking the South China Sea, which features 518 rooms, restaurants, event halls, gardens, cinemas and country club that includes a golf course. The Empire Hotel is arguably the flagship hotel of Brunei. It is a member of Worldhotels, a leading organisation of independent hotel around the world.
The BRIDEX International Conference Centre is located in Jerudong. It is a convention centre which formerly hosted the Brunei International Defence Exhibition and Conference, an international event held biennially which showcases exhibition related to arms and defence technology.
- "Berita - Bincang hala tuju Pengawasan Kejiranan". www.pelitabrunei.gov.bn. Retrieved 2017-12-24.
- "Rencana - Apa rahsia di sebalik nama 'Jaudong'". www.pelitabrunei.gov.bn. Retrieved 2017-12-24.
- "postcodes". www.post.gov.bn. Retrieved 2017-12-24.
- B. A. Hamzah (1991). The Oil Sultanate: Political History of Oil in Brunei Darussalam. Mawaddah Enterprise. p. 96. ISBN 978-983-9737-01-1.
- United States. Federal Oil Conservation Board (1928). Report. U.S. Government Printing Office. p. 141.
- Albert Lidgett (1955). Petroleum Times. Petroleum Times. p. 854.
- Bulletin of the American Association of Petroleum Geologists. American Association of Petroleum Geologists. 1956. p. 1664.
- Annual Report. H.M. Stationery Office. 1955. p. 17.
- Annual Report of the Geological Survey Department, British Territories in Borneo. Government Printer. 1956.
- Great Britain. Colonial Office (1957). Brunei. H.M. Stationery Office. p. 59.
- Brunei Darussalam street directory : quick & easy reference maps., Brunei. Juruukur Agung., Brunei Press Sdn. Bhd., Published & printed by Brunei Press Sdn. Bhd., Commercial Printing Services, 2014, pp. 46–47, ISBN 9789991732411, OCLC 932264901CS1 maint: others (link)
- Brunei Darussalam street directory : quick & easy reference maps., Brunei. Juruukur Agung., Brunei Press Sdn. Bhd., Published & printed by Brunei Press Sdn. Bhd., Commercial Printing Services, 2014, pp. 58–59, ISBN 9789991732411, OCLC 932264901CS1 maint: others (link)
- [https://borneobulletin.com.bn/kampong-ayer-to-get-b45-million-facelift/ Kampong Ayer to get B$45-million facelift | March 13, 2018 | Hakim Hayat |
- "Ministry of Education, Brunei Darussalam". www.moe.gov.bn. Retrieved 2017-12-24.
- "Laman Utama - Senarai Sekolah Ugama". www.kheu.gov.bn. Retrieved 2017-12-24.
- "Jerudong International School". jerudonginternationalschool.com. Retrieved 2017-12-24.
- "About Us - JPMC | Jerudong Park Medical Centre". www.jpmc.com.bn. Retrieved 2017-12-24.
- "About Us In Brief". www.gleneaglesjpmc.com.bn. Retrieved 2017-12-24.
- "Home page -". www.pjscbrunei.com. Retrieved 2017-12-24.
- "Jerudong Park Playground Timeline – Jerudong Park". www.jerudongpark.com. Retrieved 2017-12-24.
- "Jerudong Park - Theme Park in Brunei - Thousand Wonders". www.thousandwonders.net. Retrieved 2017-12-24.
- "About Jerudong Park – Jerudong Park". www.jerudongpark.com. Retrieved 2017-12-24.
- "More about The Empire Hotel & Country Club in Brunei". www.theempirehotel.com. Retrieved 2017-12-24.
- Marimari.com. "The Empire Hotel & Country Club Brunei, Located in Bandar Seri Begawan, Brunei". www.marimari.com. Retrieved 2017-12-24.
- Travels, Oxford. "Empire Hotel and Country Club Brunei with Discounted Rate Reservation - Online Hotel Bookings". www.oxfordtravels.com. Retrieved 2017-12-24.
- "The Empire Hotel & Country Club - Hotels in Bandar Seri Begawan | Worldhotels". www.worldhotels.com. Retrieved 2017-12-24.
- "About Worldhotels – Company Profile". www.worldhotels.com. Retrieved 2017-12-24.
- "Bridex". www.armadaproperties.com.bn. Retrieved 2017-12-24.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Jerudong.|