|Member of the Senedd |
for Cardiff Central
|Assumed office |
6 May 2011
|Preceded by||Jenny Randerson|
|Majority||817 (5 May 2016)|
|Islington Borough Councillor|
for Highbury Ward
7 May 1998 – 2 May 2002
|Succeeded by||Constituency Dissolved|
|Born||12 February 1950|
|Political party||Labour and Co-operative|
|Website||Jenny Rathbone AM|
She was Labour candidate for Cardiff Central at the 2010 General Election coming second to Liberal Democrat Jenny Willott. She was previously a Labour councillor in the London Borough of Islington from 1998 to 2002.
She voted for Jeremy Corbyn in Labour's 2015 leadership election. In October 2015 Jenny Rathbone criticised the Welsh Labour government for spending millions on the M4 Relief Road. First Minister Carwyn Jones then removed Rathbone from her chairmanship of the All Wales European Programme Monitoring Committee. In doing so Mr Jones said: "The chair of the programme monitoring committee is an appointment made by the First Minister, because that person, as is made clear in a letter of appointment, is a representative of the (Labour) Welsh Government." He said it is made clear that the "person is required to have particular regards to act in the spirit of collective responsibility, the main principles of the ministerial code." 
On 5 May 2016 Rathbone was elected for a second term as AM for Cardiff Central, winning by 817 votes.
In November 2018 it was reported that Rathbone was facing disciplinary action from the Labour Party for her comments a year earlier in which she suggested that the Jewish community's need for security at synagogues stemmed from a "siege mentality".
- Election results for Cardiff Central, 5 May 2016 : City of Cardiff Council
- @LSCaerdydd (12 February 2018). "Happy Birthday to our amazing Cardiff Central Assembly Member @JennyRathbone from everyone at CLS 🎉 have a great day 😊" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- "Jenny RATHBONE - Personal Appointments". Companies House. Retrieved 27 January 2020.
- Assembly Member - Jenny Rathbone, National Assembly for Wales website. Retrieved 2013-10-22.
- "'Politics is part of my DNA' - Jenny Rathbone, AM for Cardiff Central", GuardianCardiff, 12 May 2011. Retrieved 2013-10-22.
- Adam Lusher (5 May 2016) "Local elections 2016: Welsh Labour ‘in great shape’ despite ‘very unhelpful behaviour’ of ‘appalling’ Ken Livingstone", The Independent. Retrieved 2016-05-07.
- Cathy Owen (6 May 2016) "National Assembly election 2016: It's the women who won it ", Wales Online. Retrieved 2016-05-07.
- Harpin, Lee (14 November 2018). "Labour politician accused of 'ignorance and lack of empathy' over shul security comments". The Jewish Chronicle. Retrieved 14 November 2018.
- Harpin, Lee (14 November 2018). "Labour politician faces possible disciplinary action for shul security comments exposed by the JC". The Jewish Chronicle. Retrieved 14 November 2018.
- "Labour AM Jenny Rathbone sorry for Jewish comments". BBC News. 14 November 2018. Retrieved 14 November 2018.
| Member of the Senedd for Cardiff Central