Jazz Impressions of Black Orpheus
Jazz Impressions of Black Orpheus is the third album by American jazz pianist Vince Guaraldi (credited to the Vince Guaraldi Trio), released in 1962 on Fantasy Records. It is considered Guaraldi's breakthrough album and made him a household name.
|Jazz Impressions of Black Orpheus|
|Studio album by|
|Released||April 18, 1962|
|Studio||KQED television studio, San Francisco, California|
|Length||39:11 (original vinyl) |
61:44 (2010 remaster)
|Label||Fantasy (US); Vocalion (UK)|
|Producer||Nick Phillips (2010 remaster)|
|Vince Guaraldi chronology|
|Singles from Jazz Impressions of Black Orpheus|
|The Rolling Stone Jazz Record Guide|||
|Five Cents Please|||
|The Penguin Guide to Jazz Recordings|||
The album contains both original compositions and covers of songs from the 1959 French/Portuguese film Black Orpheus which won an Academy Award for Best Foreign Film. It spawned the hit single "Cast Your Fate to the Wind", which won the 1963 Grammy Award for Best Original Jazz Composition. Some later pressings of the LP have the single's title displayed prominently at the top of the cover, and the album title in the box underneath. Consequently, this album is often referred to as Cast Your Fate to the Wind.
Jazz Impressions of Black Orpheus was released in 1983 in a half-speed mastered edition by Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs.
Another remastered version was released with five bonus tracks on Fantasy Records imprint, Original Jazz Classics label, on September 28, 2010. In addition, DCC Compact Classics issued the album on a Gold CD in 1993.
Original 1962 releaseEdit
|1.||"Samba de Orpheus" ("Orpheus Samba")||Luiz Bonfá||5:42|
|2.||"Manhã de Carnaval" ("Carnival Morning")||Luiz Bonfá||5:50|
|3.||"O Nosso Amor" ("Our Love")||Antônio Carlos Jobim||4:56|
|4.||"A Felicidade (Happiness)" (mistitled "Generique")||Antônio Carlos Jobim||4:49|
|5.||"Cast Your Fate to the Wind"||Vince Guaraldi||3:10|
|6.||"Moon River"||Henry Mancini||5:21|
|8.||"Since I Fell for You"||Buddy Johnson||4:23|
Original Jazz Classics 2010 CD remasterEdit
|9.||"Samba de Orpheus" (single edit)||Luiz Bonfá||3:18|
|10.||"Manhã de Carnaval" (Take 2)||Luiz Bonfá||6:17|
|11.||"O Nosso Amor" (Take 2)||Antônio Carlos Jobim||5:00|
|12.||"Felicidade" (Take 3)||Traditional||4:54|
|13.||"Cast Your Fate to the Wind" (Take 3)||Vince Guaraldi||3:04|
- Vince Guaraldi Trio
- Ray Fowler – engineer
- Ralph J. Gleason – liner notes
- Derrick Bang – liner notes (2010 remaster)
|United States||April 18, 1962||Fantasy Records||mono LP||3337|
|United States||1990||Fantasy, Original Jazz Classics||CD||OJCCD-437-25|
|United States||2010||Fantasy, Original Jazz Classics||mp3||OJC-32328-25|
- Bang, Derrick. "Vince Guaraldi on LP and CD: Jazz Impressions of Black Orpheus". fivecentsplease.org. Derrick Bang, Scott McGuire. Retrieved 1 June 2020.
- Bang, Derrick (2012). Vince Guaraldi at the Piano. McFarland & Company, Inc. p. 103. ISBN 0786490748.
- Ginell, Richard S. "Cast Your Fate to the Wind/Jazz Impressions of Black Orpheus". AllMusic. Retrieved February 5, 2020.
- Swenson, J., ed. (1985). The Rolling Stone Jazz Record Guide. USA: Random House/Rolling Stone. p. 90. ISBN 0-394-72643-X.
- Cook, Richard; Morton, Brian (2008). The Penguin Guide to Jazz Recordings (9th ed.). Penguin. p. 614. ISBN 978-0-141-03401-0.