Jay W. Richards
Jay Wesley Richards is an American analytic theologian and intelligent design and free market advocate, and a senior fellow at the Discovery Institute. He serves as the assistant research professor in the School of Business and Economics at the Catholic University of America and the executive editor of The Stream. A former Presbyterian, Richards is now a Catholic.
Jay W. Richards
Jay Wesley Richards
|Alma mater||Southwestern University|
Calvin Theological Seminary
Union Presbyterian Seminary
Princeton Theological Seminary
Jay Richards graduated from Southwestern University, where he received a B.A. with majors in political science and religion. He received a Master of Theology (Th.M.) degree from Calvin Theological Seminary and a Master of Divinity (M.Div.) degree from Union Presbyterian Seminary. His Ph.D. is in theology from Princeton Theological Seminary.[better source needed]
Richards is a former faculty member at Biola University, where he taught apologetics. He worked for the Acton Institute before becoming assistant research professor in the School of Business and Economics at the Catholic University of America and executive editor of The Stream.
Richards is the author of numerous scholarly and popular articles as well as four books, including The Untamed God and The Privileged Planet. Richards has been known for his intelligent design advocacy since 1996. The Privileged Planet was co-authored with astronomer and fellow CSC Senior Fellow Guillermo Gonzalez.
Richards was a fellow at the Institute for Faith, Work & Economics and the program director of the Discovery Institute's Center for Science and Culture (CSC). He was the first fellow at the Discovery Institute to confirm the genuineness of the Wedge document. Science organizations then paid attention to the institute after the document was published online, but Richards wrote "that the mission statement and goals had been posted on the CRSC's website since 1996." Richards has expressed climate change denial.
In January 2008, at Stanford University, Jay Richards had a debate with a leading atheist, Christopher Hitchens, on the topic: Atheism vs. Theism and The Scientific Evidence of Intelligent Design. It was moderated by Ben Stein. The debate led up to the release of Ben Stein's movie Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed.
- Unapologetic Apologetics: Meeting the Challenges of Theological Studies. William A. Dembski, Jay Wesley Richards. Downer's Grove, Illinois: InterVarsity Press, January 2001. ISBN 0-8308-1563-5
- Are We Spiritual Machines?: Ray Kurzweil vs. the Critics of Strong A.I. by Jay W. Richards, George Gilder, Ray Kurzweil, Thomas Ray, John Searle, William Dembski, Michael Denton. Discovery Institute, June 2001. ISBN 0-9638654-3-9
- The Untamed God: A Philosophical Exploration of Divine Perfection, Immutability and Simplicity by Jay Wesley Richards, InterVarsity Press, October 2003. ISBN 0-8308-2734-X
- The Privileged Planet: How Our Place in the Cosmos Is Designed for Discovery by Guillermo Gonzalez, Jay W. Richards, Regnery Publishing, Inc., Washington D.C., March 2004, ISBN 0-89526-065-4
- Money, Greed, and God: Why Capitalism Is the Solution and Not the Problem. New York: HarperOne, 2009. ISBN 978-0-06-137561-3
- Eat, Fast, Feast: Heal Your Body While Feeding Your Soul- A Christian Guide to Fasting. HarperOne, January 2020. ISBN 9780062905215
- The Price of Panic: How the Tyranny of Experts Turned a Pandemic into a Catastrophe by Jay W. Richards, Douglas Axe and William M. Briggs, Regnery Publishing, October 2020. ISBN 9781684511419
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2014-04-29. Retrieved 2012-05-17.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2013-02-05. Retrieved 2012-05-17.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Jay W. Richards – Assistant Research Professor". The Catholic University of America. Retrieved November 9, 2015.
- Biola University Apologetics Faculty
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2014-04-29. Retrieved 2013-10-15.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- The New Creationists Archived 2006-12-30 at the Wayback Machine Nina Shapiro. Seattle Weekly, April 18, 2001
- Barbara Forrest and Paul R. Gross. Creationism's Trojan Horse: The Wedge of Intelligent Design. 2004, page 27
- Barbara Forrest and Paul R. Gross. Creationism's Trojan Horse: The Wedge of Intelligent Design. 2004, page 28
- Carbon Dioxide's Day in Court, Jay Richards, Acton Institute, November 29, 2006
- "Global Warming: Hysteria or Reality?" (PDF). Archived from the original on October 8, 2007. Retrieved 2007-07-22.CS1 maint: bot: original URL status unknown (link)