|This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Parent company||InterVarsity Christian Fellowship|
|Country of origin||United States|
|Headquarters location||Downers Grove, Illinois|
InterVarsity Press began as a small service branch of InterVarsity Christian Fellowship (IVCF) campus ministry, which had its U.S. beginnings in the 1939–1940 academic year. At first IVP imported books from Inter-Varsity Press in Great Britain, which despite the similar name is a different publisher, for use by college students and IVCF chapters in the United States. IVP’s first home-grown publication was a Bible study guide, Discovering the Gospel of Mark, written by an IVCF staff member and published under the InterVarsity Christian Fellowship name in the 1943–1944 academic year. In 1947 IVP’s formal publishing program was established; since that date books have been published under the InterVarsity Press name.
In 1960 IVP’s editorial offices moved from Havertown, Pennsylvania, to Chicago, where the IVCF offices were then located. In 1965 IVP published its first bestseller, How to Give Away Your Faith by Paul Little. In 1966 IVP also moved its offices from Chicago to Downers Grove, approximately 30 miles west.
In 1968 Jim Nyquist became IVP’s full-time director and Jim Sire became IVP’s first full-time editor. Shortly afterward, IVP began publishing Francis Schaeffer’s works, beginning with The God Who Is There. Over the course of the 1970s and 80s, many of IVP’s key books were published, including Knowing God by J. I. Packer (1973), The Singer by Calvin Miller (1975), The Fight by John White (1976), The Universe Next Door by James W. Sire (1976), Out of the Saltshaker by Rebecca Manley Pippert (1979) and A Long Obedience in the Same Direction by Eugene H. Peterson (1980).
In 1984 Linda Doll became director of IVP. The next year LifeGuide Bible Studies were launched; they have now sold over 10 million copies. In 1990, Ken DeRuiter became executive director of IVP. Then in 1997, after Ken DeRuiter’s retirement, Bob Fryling joined IVP as director.
IVP had built a warehouse/distribution center in nearby Westmont during 1979. In January 1995, after 29 years in Downers Grove, IVP moved to new offices constructed adjacent to the distribution center. Today InterVarsity Press has a staff of nearly one hundred, publishing ninety to one hundred titles every year. IVP has more than one thousand books, Bible studies and booklets in print, shipping more than 2.3 million books each year.
In 2009 IVP won several Theologos awards.
- John Bibee. The Spirit Flyer Series
- Bill Hybels. Too Busy Not to Pray
- Phillip E. Johnson. Darwin on Trial. (Nov. 1993) ISBN 0-8308-1324-1
- J. I. Packer. Knowing God
- Peter Kreeft and Robert K. Tacelli S.J.. Handbook of Christian Apologetics, 1994
- James Sire. The Universe Next Door
- John White The Fight: A Practical Handbook for Christian Living
- Search the Scriptures (sold over one million copies)
- Andrew Marin Love Is an Orientation: Elevating the Conversation with the Gay Community (2009) - Won five national book awards
- Heart. Soul. Mind. Strength. An Anecdotal History of InterVarsity Press, 1947-2007 by Andrew T. Le Peau and Linda Doll, InterVarsity Press, 2006, ISBN 0-8308-3369-2.
- For Christ and the University: The Story of InterVarsity Christian Fellowship of the U.S.A./ 1940-1990 by Keith & Gladys Hunt, InterVarsity Press, 1991, ISBN 0-8308-4996-3.
- Alisse Wissman (17 November 2011). "InterVarsity Press Acquires Biblica Books" (PDF). Westmont, Illinois, United States: InterVarsity Press (IVP). Retrieved 6 April 2012.
Westmont, IL—InterVarsity Press (IVP), a leading publisher of thoughtful Christian books, is pleased to announce that it has entered into a definitive agreement to acquire Biblica Books, the book-publishing arm of Biblica Worldwide.
Founded in 1947 as an extension of InterVarsity Christian Fellowship/USA, InterVarsity Press serves those in the university, the church and the world by publishing thoughtful Christian books that equip and encourage people to follow Jesus as Savior and Lord in all of life.
- InterVarsity Press wins Theologos Awards. Christianretailing.com (2010-03-11). Retrieved on 2013-07-26.
- Search the Scriptures (paperback) | Features & Benefits - InterVarsity Press. Ivpress.com. Retrieved on 2013-07-26.
- "Love Is an Orientation book". Retrieved 2016-02-29.