James Roberts (swimmer)
|Full name||James Roberts|
|Born||11 April 1991|
Tweed Heads, New South Wales
|Height||1.94 m (6 ft 4 in)|
|Weight||90 kg (198 lb)|
At the 2011 Australian Swimming Championships, Roberts qualified for the national team by placing second behind James Magnussen in the 100-metre freestyle in a time of 48.72 seconds. At the 2011 World Aquatics Championships, Roberts won a total of two medals, one gold and one silver. Roberts earned both of his medals by swimming in the heats of the 4×100-metre freestyle and medley relay. In the 100-meter freestyle, Roberts did not advance past the semifinals, and finished 10th overall with a time of 48.49.
At the 2012 Australian Swimming Championships, which also served as Australia's Olympic trials, Roberts qualified for the 2012 Summer Olympics by placing second in the 100-metre freestyle. In the 100-metre freestyle final, Roberts recorded a personal best of 47.63 seconds, finishing behind James Magnussen who won in 47.10. In the 50-meter freestyle final, Roberts placed 4th in 22.31.
In his first event at the 2012 Summer Olympics in London, the 4×100-metre freestyle relay, Roberts swam the anchor leg in a time of 48.09. The Australian team, although the favorites, failed to medal and placed fourth in the final with a time of 3:11.63. Roberts also swam in the heats of the 4×100-metre freestyle relay and recorded a time of 48.22 as the second leg. After recording a time of 48.93 in the heats of the 100-metre freestyle, Roberts failed to advance to the final, posting a time of 48.57 in the semifinals. As a result of illness, Roberts was left off the 4×100-metre medley relay in the heats.
- As of 19 March 2012.
|100 m freestyle (long course)||47.63||Adelaide||19 March 2012|
- "2011 World Aquatics Championships – Men's 4x100 metre freestyle relay (heats)" (PDF). Omega Timing. Archived from the original (PDF) on 31 March 2012. Retrieved 8 April 2012.
- "2011 World Aquatics Championships – Men's 4x100 metre medley relay (heats)" (PDF). Omega Timing. Retrieved 8 April 2012.[permanent dead link]
- "2011 World Aquatics Championships – Men's 100 metre freestyle (semifinals)" (PDF). Omega Timing. Retrieved 8 April 2012.[permanent dead link]
- "Australian Olympic Trials: James Magnussen Drops Textile Best; Many Paralympic World Records". Swimming World Magazine. 19 March 2012. Archived from the original on 29 March 2014. Retrieved 19 March 2012.
- James Roberts at FINA
- James Roberts at the Australian Olympic Committee
- James Roberts at the International Olympic Committee
- James Roberts at Swimming Australia at the Wayback Machine (archived 2016-10-03)
- James Roberts at Swimming Australia at the Wayback Machine (archived 2015-04-24)
- James Roberts on Twitter