James L. Papandrea
James L. Papandrea (born May 9, 1963) is a Catholic theologian, historian, author, speaker, and singer/songwriter. He is currently Professor of Church History and Historical Theology at Garrett-Evangelical Theological Seminary in Evanston, Illinois (on the campus of Northwestern University), and also teaches for the Archdiocese of Chicago's Institute for Diaconal Studies. Papandrea is also one of the world's foremost scholars of Novatian of Rome.
James L. Papandrea
James L. Papandrea
|Nationality||American (of Italian and Irish descent)|
|Occupation||Catholic theologian, historian, and musician|
Papandrea earned an M.Div. degree from Fuller Theological Seminary (1989), and a Ph.D. from Northwestern University (1998), in the history of the early Church and the Roman Empire, with a secondary concentration in New Testament interpretation. He also received a certificate in the history and topography of the city of Rome from the American Academy in Rome (1995). In 2008, he started teaching early Church History at Garrett Evangelical Theological Seminary.
In addition to his academic roles, Papandrea is also a Senior Fellow of the St. Paul Center for Biblical Theology, as well as a member of the Society of Biblical Literature (SBL), the North American Patristics Society (NAPS), the American Society of Church History (ASCH), the Classical Society of the American Academy in Rome (CSAAR), the Illinois Medieval Association (IMA), and the Catholic Theological Society of America (CTSA).
In 1984, after several years with the Milwaukee-based band, the Crabs, and the Minneapolis-based band, Safari, Papandrea formed a group called, the Neumes, which migrated from Minneapolis to Los Angeles. The Neumes released two recordings: Ars Nova and Contrast. In 1995, Papandrea formed the group, Remember Rome, which went on to release four CDs: Remember Rome, La Bocca della Veritá, Carpe Diem, and Holy Smoke – The Best of Remember Rome. He has been commissioned to write music for choirs, and has written two musicals, The Prodigal’s Dream (An Easter Opera), and Treasures of the Heart (A Christmas Musical). The song, "Miracle of Light", from Treasures of the Heart was featured in a Catholic Christmas compilation CD, and other songs of his have also been included in internationally released compilations.
Papandrea is a teacher of songwriting, having been trained in the methods of the Nashville Songwriters’ Association (NSAI), and a member of the Catholic Association of Music. Most recently, Papandrea released a solo CD entitled Still Quiet Voice, which is a collection of songs inspired by his Catholic faith. His music ministry often combines his original songs with inspirational speaking, and he also offers concerts that include prayer, Scripture readings and storytelling.
- Papandrea, James L. (September 14, 2008). The Trinitarian Theology of Novatian of Rome: A Study in Third Century Orthodoxy. Edwin Mellen Press. ISBN 978-0773450264.
- Papandrea, James L. (June 1, 2009). Pray (Not Just Say) the Lord's Prayer. Liguori Publications. ISBN 978-0764818486. (Pamphlet)
- Papandrea, James L. (December 1, 2009). Spiritual Blueprint: How We Live, Work, Love, Play and Pray. Liguori Publications. ISBN 978-0764818929.
- Papandrea, James L. (January 1, 2011). The Wedding of the Lamb: A Historical Approach to the Book of Revelation. Pickwick Publications. ISBN 978-1608998067.
- Papandrea, James L. (November 7, 2011). Novatian of Rome and the Culmination of Pre-Nicene Orthodoxy. Pickwick Publications. ISBN 978-1606087800.
- Papandrea, James L. (November 28, 2011). How to Be a Saint. Liguori Publications. ISBN 978-0764820670. (Pamphlet)
- Papandrea, James L. (October 8, 2012). Rome: A Pilgrim’s Guide to the Eternal City. Cascade Books. ISBN 978-1-61097-268-0.
- Papandrea, James L. (August 26, 2012). Trinity 101: Father Son Holy Spirit: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. Liguori Publications. ISBN 978-0764820823.
- Papandrea, James L. (January 23, 2012). Reading the Early Church Fathers: From the Didache to Nicaea. Paulist Press. ISBN 978-0809147519.
- Aquilina, Mike; Papandrea, James L. (2015). Seven Revolutions: How Christianity Changed the World and Can Change It Again. Random House/Image Books. ISBN 978-0804138963.
- Papandrea, James L. (December 31, 2015). Novatian of Rome: On the Trinity, Letters to Cyprian of Carthage, Ethical Treatises. Brepols Publishers. ISBN 978-2503544915. (English Translations with Introduction)
- Papandrea, James L. (June 15, 2015). The Space Boys Meet the Moon Bully. 220 Communications. ISBN 978-1513600680.
- Papandrea, James L. (October 1, 2015). Handed Down: The Catholic Faith of the Early Christians. Catholic Answers Press. ISBN 978-1941663530.
- Papandrea, James L. (2016). The Earliest Christologies: Five Images of Christ in the Postapostolic Age. IVP Academic. ISBN 978-0830851270.