Rani Jagadamba Kumari Devi(1918-1988) was the wife of Lt.-Gen.Madan Shumsher JBR, daughter-in-law of Maharaja Prime Minister Chandra Shumsher JBR. Jagadamba Kumari Devi was born in Balrampur district, Uttar Pradesh. After marriage with Lt.-Gen.Madan Shumsher JBR she moved to Kathmandu and lived in Shree Durbar.
|Jagadamba Kumari Devi |
जगदम्बा कुमारी देवी राणा
Balrampur district, Uttar Pradesh
Shree Durbar, Kathmandu
|Spouse||Lt.-Gen. Madan Shumsher JBR|
|House||Rana dynasty (by marriage)|
Jagadamba Kumari Devi
|Member of Raj Sabaha|
She is credited for building numerous temples, public water sprouts and Jagadamba Nepali Dharmashala (free lodging) at sacred sites outside Nepal. At prominent religious places like Rameswaram in Tamil Nadu, Varanasi and many more. Rani Jagadamba Kumari Devi established Nepali Schools and Scholarship programs in Varanasi for Nepali students through Vidya Dharma Pracharini Nepali Samiti of Varanasi. She also gave many endowments to educational Institutions both in India and Nepal. In 1956, on memory of her husband late General Madan Shumsher JBR She established Madan Puraskar Pustakalaya and started the award, through establishing the Madan Puraskar Guthi (Fund) for awarding famous writers . After her death in 1989, another award Jagadamba Shree Purasakar was established by Madan Puraskar Pustakalaya in the honor of Rani Jagadamba Kumari Devi to Nepalis contributing in Nepali Language, Literature, Art and Folk Culture Field. She also established Jagadamba Databya Aushadhalaya (charitable dispensary) and Madan Dhara Samiti for charitable work. She also donated 22 ropani land of Shree Durbar to Sajha Yatayat's services and for the overall public good.
- Member of the Order of Gorkha Dakshina Bahu
Marble Plaque at Jagadamba Nepali Dharamshala, Rameswaram translates as "A gift from queen Jagadamba Kumari Devi for Nepali Travelers,Established at Rameswaram in Maha Shivaratri 2016 BS (1959 CE)"
- JBR, PurushottamShamsher (1990). Shree Teen Haruko Tathya Britanta (in Nepali). Bhotahity, Kathmandu: Vidarthi Pustak Bhandar. ISBN 99933-39-91-1.
- JBR, PurushottamShamsher (2007). Ranakalin Pramukh Atihasik Darbarharu [Chief Historical Palaces of the Rana Era] (in Nepali). Vidarthi Pustak Bhandar. ISBN 978-9994611027.
- "About Madan Puraskar Pustakalaya". Madan Puraskar Pustakalaya. Retrieved 6 January 2009.
- "Attach more of Dixits' land, govt told". Thehimalayantimes. Retrieved 18 July 2016.
- "Chief Executive Officer of Sajha Yatayat". sajhayatayat. Retrieved 18 July 2016.