JNR Class DE10
The Class DE10 (DE10形) is a class of Japanese C-B wheel arrangement diesel-hydraulic locomotives. 708 locomotives were built between 1966 and 1978. As of 1 April 2016[update], 138 locomotives remained in operation.
158 DE10-0 locomotives were built with steam heating boilers for passenger use.
74 DE10-500 locomotives were built from 1968 with concrete ballast in place of the steam heating boilers for freight use. None of this subclass remains in use on JR, but several examples operate on private railways.
One prototype locomotive, DE10 901, was built in 1967 as a heavy shunting locomotive with ballasting increasing the weight to 70 tonnes. This formed the basis for the Class DE11 design.
210 DE10-1000 locomotives were built from 1969 with steam heating boilers and uprated DML61ZB engines offering 1,350 hp (1,005 kW).
265 DE10-1500 locomotives were built from 1969 with uprated DML61ZB engines and concrete ballast in place of the steam heating boilers for freight use.
|Loco No.||Former No.||Date built||Manufacturer||Date converted||Date withdrawn|
|DE10 3001||DE15 1001||6 December 1971||Nippon Sharyo||5 June 2009|
|DE10 3501||DE15 1510||October 1973||Nippon Sharyo||8 May 2009|
|DE10 3502||DE15 1516||16 December 1975||Nippon Sharyo||7 April 2009||25 November 2009|
|DE10 3503||DE15 2567[Note 1]||14 January 1976||Nippon Sharyo||29 May 2009||FY2011|
|DE10 3504||DE15 1522||2 March 1976||Nippon Sharyo||24 April 2009||FY2011|
|DE10 3505||DE15 1523||9 March 1976||Nippon Sharyo||6 April 2009|
|DE10 3506||DE15 1529||4 October 1976||Kawasaki Heavy Industries||15 May 2009|
|DE10 3507||DE15 1530||7 October 1976||Kawasaki Heavy Industries||24 June 2009|
|DE10 3508||DE15 1536||9 September 1977||Kawasaki Heavy Industries||7 April 2009|
|DE10 3509||DE15 2505||21 October 1977||Nippon Sharyo||18 May 2009|
|DE10 3510||DE15 2506||28 October 1977||Nippon Sharyo||19 May 2009|
|DE10 3511||DE15 1539||10 November 1978||Kawasaki Heavy Industries||23 April 2009|
|DE10 3512||DE15 2513||15 November 1978||Kawasaki Heavy Industries||12 May 2009|
|DE10 3513||DE15 2524||20 November 1980||Kawasaki Heavy Industries||27 April 2009|
- Originally built as DE15 1517.
The DE10 classification for this locomotive type is explained below.
- D: Diesel locomotive
- E: Five driving axles
- 10: Locomotive with maximum speed of 85 km/h or less
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to JNR DE10.|
- Inoue, Kōichi (1999). 国鉄機関車事典: 蒸気・電気・ディーゼル機関車66形式 国鉄機関車辞典 [JNR Locomotive Encyclopedia]. Japan: Sankaido. ISBN 978-4-381-10338-3.
- Miyahara, Masakazu, ed. (December 2016). 国鉄最終章LAST (鉄道ジャーナル2017年2月号別冊) [JNR - The Final Chapter (Railway Journal February 2017 Extra issue)]. Railway Journal (in Japanese): 36–38. ASIN B01N59AJPB. ISSN 0288-2337.
- Shibata (July 2015). JR会社間の譲渡車両 [Rolling stock transferred between JR companies]. Japan Railfan Magazine (in Japanese). Vol. 55 no. 651. Japan: Koyusha Co. p. 128.
- "DE10 1も伊予西条へ" [DE10 1 also moved to Iyo Saijo]. Japan Railfan Magazine Online (in Japanese). Japan: Koyusha Co., Ltd. 23 March 2014. Retrieved 23 March 2014.