JAXPORT Cruise Terminal
The JAXPORT Cruise Terminal (Coordinates: ) is a 63,000 sq ft (5,900 m2) "temporary" cruise ship terminal in Jacksonville, Florida. The facility located at the northwest corner of the Dames Point Marine Terminal, beside the Dames Point Bridge. It was completed in six months during 2003 and is a facility at the Port of Jacksonville, administered by the Jacksonville Port Authority. The baggage handling area is 28,000 sq ft (2,600 m2); and a passenger embarkation section has 15,000 sq ft (1,400 m2). Vehicle access to the site is via Hecksher Drive and there is paved parking for about 600 cars.
The ship Carnival Miracle was christened at the Port of Jacksonville on February 27, 2004, beginning Jacksonville service by Carnival Cruise Lines. The Miracle was replaced by Carnival Cruise Lines' Jubilee, which sailed between JAXPORT and The Bahamas from May 2004 through August 2004. Carnival established year-round cruise service from Jacksonville aboard the Celebration on October 12, 2004. The Celebration continued to sail between JAXPORT and The Bahamas through April 2008. After a four-month hiatus in service, Carnival restarted Jacksonville-Bahamas cruise service aboard the Carnival Fascination, which provided service from Jacksonville until April 2013. As of 2019, cruises from Jacksonville visit the Bahamas and Eastern Caribbean onboard the Carnival Ecstasy.
Five cruise ships were chartered to serve as floating hotels during the week preceding Super Bowl XXXIX in February 2005. Four of the vessels docked at JAXPORT terminals, providing over 3,500 rooms plus restaurants and night clubs for fans.
The Jacksonville Port Authority had plans to relocate the cruise terminal. In 2008, an 8-acre (32,000 m2) parcel was purchased in the small fishing village of Mayport as the site of a permanent $60 million facility. The economic crisis delayed the project, and opposition from local residents was vehement; a lawsuit seeking an injunction was filed. In March 2010, the authority announced that they were starting over and reviewing all possible locations for the cruise terminal.
- "Cruise Terminal" Archived 2007-02-21 at the Wayback Machine Jacksonville Port Authority, Cruise Terminal
- "Jacksonville: America's First Port" Archived 2009-05-05 at the Wayback Machine Jaxport
- "'Miracle,' Passengers Leave On Maiden Voyage" News4Jax, February 27, 2004.
- "Carnival Cruise Lines to send refurbished ship to port" Florida Times-Union, December 18, 2003.
- "Carnival back with bigger, better ship, the Fascination" Florida Times-Union, September 19, 2008
- "Carnival Fascination itinerary" Jacksonville Port Authority
- Cruises from Jacksonville FL Carnival Cruiseline. Retrieved 15 August 2019.
- "Super Bowl XXXIX cruise ships" Florida Times-Union, January 2005
- "JAXPORT Board of Directors meeting report -- April 29, 2008" Jacksonville Port Authority press release, April 29, 2008.
- "Port Authority suspends plans for Mayport cruise terminal" Jacksonville Business Journal, March 2, 2009.
- "JaxPort to reconsider cruise ship terminal in Mayport" Florida Times-Union, March 26, 2010
- Dixon, Drew: "Jacksonville Port Authority looking at 20 sites for possible cruise ship terminal" Florida Times-Union, May 20, 2010.