Dames Point Bridge
This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The Dames Point Bridge (officially the Napoleon Bonaparte Broward Bridge) is a cable-stayed bridge over the St. Johns River in Jacksonville, Florida on the Interstate 295 East Beltway. Construction began in 1985 and was completed in 1989. The main span is 1,300 feet (396.2 m), and is 175 feet (53.3 m) high. The bridge was designed by HNTB Corporation and RS&H, Inc. The Massman Construction Company built the bridge.
Dames Point Bridge
Dames Point Bridge in 2010.
(six general purpose lanes)
|Crosses||St. Johns River|
|Official name||Napoleon Bonaparte Broward Bridge|
|Maintained by||Florida Department of Transportation|
|Design||Continuous prestressed concrete cable-stayed bridge|
|Total length||10646 feet (3244.9 m)|
|Width||106 feet (32.2 m)|
|Longest span||1300 feet (396.2 m)|
|Clearance above||39.7 feet (12.11 m)|
|Clearance below||175 feet (53.34 m)|
|Opened||March 10, 1989|
|Daily traffic||66,000 (2012)|
The bridge's cables are arranged on multiple vertical planes in a slight modification to the harp (parallel) stay arrangement. Main span cables are paired to anchor into the tower in a vertical plane while side span cables pair up to anchor in a horizontal plane such that four cables anchor in each tower at approximately the same elevation.
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
On May 15, 1989, while inspectors were checking the bridge for cracks and fissures, the boom arm holding a bucket snapped, leaving the bucket tilted on its side and the workers at risk of plummeting hundreds of feet to the river below. Rescuers rappelled down the side of the bridge to the workers and successfully brought all of them to safety. The story of this rescue effort was aired on Rescue 911 on September 12 of the same year.
- Hannan, Larry (March 10, 2009). "Dames Point bridge reaches 20-year mark". The Florida Times-Union. Retrieved March 27, 2009.
- Weeks, John. "Dames Point Bridge". johnweeks.com. Retrieved May 15, 2012.
- Podolny, Jr., Walter. "Concrete Cable-Stayed Bridges" (PDF). p. 129. Retrieved 18 July 2018.
- Archaeological Consultants, Inc. (December 2012). "The Historic Highway Bridges of Florida" (PDF). Florida Department of Transportation. p. 122. Retrieved 18 July 2018.
- "Dames Point Park". Recreation and Community Services — City of Jacksonville, Florida. Archived from the original on June 29, 2012. Retrieved May 15, 2012.