Ivy Tech Community College of Indiana
Ivy Tech Community College (usually shortened to Ivy Tech) is Indiana's community college system, encompassing more than 40 locations. It is the state's largest public postsecondary institution and the nation's largest singly accredited statewide community college system serving nearly 200,000 students annually. It is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission.
Ivy Tech Community College logo
|Indiana Vocational Technical College|
|Motto||Our Communities. Your College.|
|President||Dr. Sue Ellspermann|
Multiple locations, Indiana,
Ivy Tech was founded in 1963 as Indiana's Vocational Technical College in order to provide technical and vocational education for various industries and was rechartered as a system of vocational technical schools in 2005. The name "Ivy Tech" derives from an initialism (I.V. Tech) of the school's original name. The name was officially changed to Ivy Tech State College in 1995.
In 1999, Ivy Tech entered into a partnership with Vincennes University to form the Community College of Indiana. The partnership ended in 2005 and Ivy Tech was rechartered as a system of community colleges, and renamed Ivy Tech Community College of Indiana. In 2008, the Indiana University system agreed to shift most of its associate (2-year) degrees to the Ivy Tech Community College System.
Ivy Tech is Indiana’s only full-fledged community college, offering more than 150 programs and offering more than 100 transfer programs with in-state and out-of-state schools. Offerings vary by campus and are divided into seven schools:
- School of Business, Logistics and Supply Chain
- School of Public Affairs and Social Services
- School of Information Technology
- School of Arts, Sciences and Education
- School of Health Sciences
- School of Nursing
- School of Advanced Manufacturing, Engineering and Applied Science
Ivy Tech offers hands-on experience with some of the state’s most advanced technologies and training facilities, plus the convenience of more than 1,000 online classes, and the attention that comes with a small average class size of 22. Ivy Tech has transfer partnerships with four-year universities/colleges across Indiana, with several out-of-state partnerships as well.
Ivy Tech Community College has more than 40 locations across Indiana. For the most current listing of campuses and sites, visit IvyTech.edu.
- "Campus Information". Ivy Tech. Retrieved 20 June 2014.
- "Strengthening Indiana's Community College System: A Report in Response to House Enrolled Act 1001-2015" (PDF). Indiana.gov. Indiana Commission for Higher Education. December 10, 2015. Retrieved June 10, 2019.
- "Hoosier State Gets Coordinated". Inside Higher Ed. 2008-05-16. Retrieved 2014-03-21.
- Ivy Tech and UVA Announce Transfer Partnership, accessed April 30, 2019