Inaamulhaq (born 14 November 1979) is an Indian actor and screenwriter who has been part of several commercial and critically acclaimed Bollywood films, including Filmistaan and Airlift. After winning many accolades for his every performances from the audience, jury and critics Inaamulhaq has recently bagged the Best Actor Award at the DCSAFF (Washington DC South Asian Film Festival) for outstanding performance in his upcoming film “Nakkash”.
Inaamulhaq at "Aiba Awards" in Dubai, May 2015
|Alma mater||National School of Drama|
Early life and careerEdit
Born in Saharanpur (Uttar Pradesh, India), Inaamulhaq first appeared on stage at the age of twelve. Later, he joined the Indian People’s Theatre Association (IPTA) in Saharanpur, and acted in numerous plays as a lead. In 2003, he graduated from the National School of Drama (NSD) New Delhi, with specialization in acting.
As an actor, he got his first film break with the critically acclaimed Firaaq in 2008. His first major role in a feature film was as the Pakistani national Aaftab, in Nitin Kakkar’s National Award winner Filmistaan (2012), for which he was named in the "Top 10 Stand-Out Actors of 2014" by Mid-Day, and "The Most Prominent Debuts of 2014" by IBNlive.com in their Year-ender 2014. He is also listed in IMDB’S Top 200 Best Indian Actors and Actresses. Inaamulhaq appeared in the Askhay Kumar-starrer Airlift. He plays a very essential role of an Iraqi Major Kahalf Bin Zayd, who is the main antagonist of the evacuation that the film is based on. Airlift is one of the biggest success of the actor and his performance in Airlift received a grand reception from the audience and the critics as well. 'Airlift was released 22 January 2016.
Inaamulhaq will be seen in Zaigham Imam's directorial venture. Nakkash, where he will be seen playing a lead role. The first look poster of Nakkash was unveiled at India Pavilion of the prestigious Cannes Film Festival 2018. For outstanding performance in “Nakkash” Inaamulhaq bagged the Best Actor Award at the 8th Annual DCSAFF (Washington DC South Asian Film Festival 2018) .
- Firaaq (2008) as Munna
- Filmistaan (2014) as Aftaab
- Chidiya (Cameo)
- Airlift (2016) as Major Khalaf Bin Zayd
- Jolly LLB 2 (2017) as Mohammed Iqbal Quadri
- Phullu (2017) Cameo)
- Lucknow Central (2017) as Dikkat Ansari
- Firangi (2017) as Heera
- Nakkash (Post Production) as Allah Rakha Siddiqui
Inaamulhaq received very positive reviews from critics for his performance in every film.
Madhureeta Mukherjee from Times of India wrote: "Inaamulhaq piques the emotions with perfection. The camaraderie between the pure souls who understand only the language of Bollywood is heart-warming". Shubha Shetty-Saha from Mid-Day praised him saying: "But it is Inaamulhaq, who steals your heart with the most natural, endearing performance". Taran Adarsh from Bollywood Hungama wrote: "Inaamulhaq too pitches in a fabulous performance, his performance and body language making you forget you're watching an actor emote". Sneha May Francis from emirates247.com quotes: "Inaamulhaq lends exuberance to Aftaab, capturing his Bollywood dreams, unwavering loyalty and business acumen maturely". Pratishtha Malhotra from Cine Blitz mentioned in her review: "One thing worth mentioning here is how this actor has worked on his detailing, from the dialect that he has maintained throughout the film to the body language. He floors you completely". Paloma Sharma from Rediff.com wrote: "Inaamulhaq is as brilliant as Aftab, neither actor overshadows the other. They complement each other". Rahul Desai from Mumbai Mirror wrote: "Inaamulhaq is uninhibited, and even when his character is saddled with sentiment, he makes you believe that he is a delusional filmmaker scripting his own climax".
Praising Inaamulhaq"s performance in Airlift, critic Taran Adarsh stated in his tweet: "Inaamulhaq [Iraqi Major] and Prakash Belawade are terrific". Joginder Tuteja from moviereviewpreview.com wrote: "The surprise of the film though is Inaamulhaq, who plays the Iraqi Major. He transforms himself completely from the Pakistani simpleton part that he played in Filmistaan". Bollywood Hungama praised him in their review saying: "Inaamulhaq as the Amitabh Bachchan fan Iraqi Major Khalaf Bin Zayd is a delight". Critic Komal Nahta from ETC Bollywood Business stated in his review: "Inaamulhaq is entertaining as the Iraqi major". The newspaper The Indian Express wrote: "Inaamulhaq as Saddam's man-in-Kuwait, is suitably menacing". Critic Rohit Sharma wrote on his blog: "Inaamul has nailed his character to perfection". Another film review website filmyinterval.com praised him stating: "One surprise package is Inaamulhaq. After his stint in Filmistaan, this talented actor gets a role that might turn around his career. His act of unhindered wickedness and the sadistic approach he portrays towards the Kuwaitis is applaud worthy". Website pinkvilla.com also mention his performance stating "The film's supporting cast deserves a special mention, especially Inaamulhaq and Kumud Mishra, who were both great in their respective roles". The Economic Times wrote: "And Inaamulhuq oozes smooth menace as the major". Website Fansofcinema.com wrote: "Especially, Inaamulhaq playing the negative role as Major Khalaf Bin Zayd is best in the whole film".
Critical reception for Jolly LLB -2Edit
Mentioning about Inaamulhaq's performance in Jolly LLB-2 review, Sudhir Redkar from KoiMoi.com wrote: "Inaamulhaq has a small cameo that turns out to be an interesting twist". Anna MM Vetticad from FirstPost,com wrote: "Watch Inaamulhaq playing a Kashmiri pronounce “card” differently within a span of a few seconds". Rohit Bhatnagar from deccanchronicle.com mentioned in his review "Inaamulhaq do not let down either. They are very convincing and play their parts to perfection". Febnews Team praised Inaamulhaq's performance quoting: "Inaamulhaq also stood out in their own rights with their terrific acting skills". Udai Bhatia from livemint.com wrote: "Inaamulhaq (in a late cameo) all have brief, memorable turns". Boxofficeindia remarked: "Inaamulhaq is flawless"in their review of jolly LLB-2. Lokesh Dharmani from talkingmoviez.com wrote: "Inaamulhaq provide excellent support".
Critical reception for PhulluEdit
"Inaamulhaq is a show stealer" mentioned Indiaglitz in their review of movie Phullu where Inaamulhaq did a cameo appearance. Devansh Sharma from firstpost.com wrote "A word here about Inaamulhaq, who has a cameo: the actor does an amazing job in the two scenes he has. These scenes also have the best writing in the film.". thequint.com mentioned "Inaamulhaq of Airlift fame. His guest appearance lifts the story and cracks you up. In fact, it is this beggar that really spells out the entire premise of the film" Sukanya Verma from Rediff.com praised Inaamulhaq quoting "No wonder a brief cameo by Inaamulhaq, once again reiterating his appeal in showy, idiosyncratic characters, makes more sense that most of this movie". Team bollywoodbubble.com mentioned "Inaamulhaq’s cameo is the best part of the film". Ganesh Raheja from bollyworm.com wrote "The talented and versatile Inaamulhaq had a special appearance in the film, and for what little screen time he was given, we couldn’t take our eyes off the man. We just wish that his character was given a little bit more of screen time and importance in the story. There is nothing more we could have asked for.". Trijai Nerthi from rocheston.tv praised Inaamulhaq quoting "Inaamulhaq makes an unforgettable appearance in the film. His scenes are especially notable.". Smrity Sharma from India.com wrote"The cameo from Inaamulhaq is one of the highlights of the film.". Sreeju Sudhakaran from bollywoodlife.com wrote "Inaamulhaq (having a reunion of sorts with his Filmistaan co-star) has a hilarious cameo. In fact, this was the best scene of the movie."
Not only from the critics, Inaamulhaq received a huge response from the audience as well. Many meme Pictures parsing his characterization and speaking style have gone viral on various social networking sites.
- Best Actor Award for Nakkash at DCSAFF (Washington DC South Asian Film Festival 2018)
- Best Actor in a Supporting Role for Filmistaan at 21st Annual Screen Awards
- Best Actor in a Supporting Role for Filmistaan at IBNLive Movie Awards (2015)[importance?]
- Best Actor in a Supporting Role for Filmistaan at SICA Awards (2015)
- Best Actor in a Supporting Role for Filmistaan at AIBA Awards (2015)[importance?]
Inaamulhaq directed two short films – "The Search" (2005) which got nominated for the Best Film Award in competition category at Berlin Asia-Pacific Film Festival-2006 (Germany), and "Parchhaiyaan" (2004), based on an anti-War poem by renowned poet Sahir Ludhianvi.
|2007||Karamchand - Season 2||Writer||Sony|
|2007||Comedy Circus - Season 1||Writer/Associate Content Director||Sony|
|2007||Comedy Circus - Lage Raho||Writer/Associate Content Director||Sony|
|2008||Comedy Circus 2||Writer/Associate Content Director||Sony|
|2008||Comedy Honours||Writer||STAR Gold|
|2008||Comedy Circus - Kante Ki Takkar||Writer/Associate Content Director||Sony|
|2008||Sabse Favourite Koun?||Writer||STAR Gold|
|2008||Arre Deewano Mujhe Pehchano||Content Director||STAR Plus|
|2009||Comedy Circus – Chinchpokli to China||Associate Content Director||Sony|
|2009||Comedy Circus - 20–20||Associate Content Director||Sony|
|2009||Kaho Na Yaar Hai||Associate Creative Director||STAR Plus|
|2009||Comedy Circus - Dekh India Dekh||Associate Content Director||Sony|
|2009||Comedy Circus 3 – Ka Tadka||Associate Content Director||Sony|
|2010||Comedy Circus – MahaSangram||Associate Content Director||Sony|
|2010||Chhote Ustaad - 2||Writer||STAR Plus|
|2011||Dekh Video Dekh||Writer||Colors|
|2011||Comedy Ka Maha Muqabala||Act Producer||STAR Plus|
|2013||Nautanki-The Comedy Theatre||Associate Creative Director||Colors|
|2014||Yam Kisi Se Kam Nahi||Writer||EPIC|
|2015||Goldie Ahuja Matric Pass||Writer||DISNEY|
(In alphabetical order)
|Play||Character||Written By||Produced by|
|A Doll's House||Nils Krogstad||Henrik Ibsen||NSD|
|Acchhe Aadmi||Batasu||Phanishwar Nath 'Renu'||NSD|
|Andha Yug||Kripacharya||Dharamvir Bharati||SARGAM-A|
|Arey Shareef Log||Dr. Ghatak||Jaywant Dalvi||IPTA|
|Bade Bhai Sahab||Narrator||Munshi Premchand||IPTA|
|Ek Ladki Paanch Deewane||Solo||Harishankar Parsai||IPTA|
|Ek Tha Gadha urf Aladad Khan||Chintak-1||Sharad Joshi||IPTA|
|Inspector Matadeen Chand Par||Matadeen||Harishankar Parsai||BNA/NSD|
|Julius Caesar||Various Characters||William Shakespeare||NSD|
|Kabuli Wala||Narrator||Rabindranath Tagore||NSD|
|King Lear||Edgar||William Shakespeare||NSD|
|Kiska Haath||ChetuRam||Satish De||ADACAAR|
|Ladai||Various Character||Sarveshwar Dayal Saxena||NATYA|
|Panchhi Aise Aate Hain||Anna Paradker||Vijay Tendulkar||NAVANKUR|
|Rasik Sampadak||Sampadak Chokhelal||Munshi Premchand||IPTA|
|Saint Joan||Dauphin, Charles VII||George Bernard Shaw||NSD|
|The Nose||Ivan Yakovlevich||Nikolai Gogol||IPTA|
|Shanichar Ka Chakkar||Various Character||Improvised||IPTA/ITC|
|Singhasan Khali Hai||Teen||Sushil Kumar Singh||IPTA|
|Tajmahal Ka Tender||Shahjahan||Ajay Shukla||IPTA|
|Thank You Mr. Glad||Various Characters||Anil Berve||SARGAM-A|
|The Illusion||Alcandre, A Magician||Tony Kushner||NSD|
|The Just Assassins||Ivan Kaliayev||Albert Camus||NSD|
|The Obsession||Various Characters||Improvised||IPTA|
|Kheench Rahe Hain||Various Character||Ravi Deep||IPTA|
|Yahudi Ki Larki||Azra||Agha Hashar Kashmiri||NSD|
- "Inaamulhaq won "Best Actor in a Supporting Role Award" @ AIBA Awards 2015". inaamulhaq.com/. Retrieved 8 March 2016.
- "Screen Profile". Retrieved 28 March 2014.
- "Filmistaan is the voice of a person's heart from India with a message of love to a Pakistani". bollyspice.com/. Retrieved 21 July 2014.
- "Meaningful cinema is my priority". magnamags.com/. Retrieved 21 July 2014.
- "Inaamulhaq wins international acclaim for NAKKASH". Retrieved 27 September 2018.
- "DCSAFF 2018 Awards given were:". Retrieved 27 September 2018.
- "Rebel with all cause and no pause". www.indiainfoline.com/. Retrieved 21 July 2014.
- "National School Of Drama graduates". Retrieved 28 March 2014.
- "National Award to Filmistaan". Retrieved 28 March 2014.
- "2014 Recap: Bollywood's dark horses that stole the show this year". Mid-Day. Retrieved 6 January 2015.
- "Yearender 2014: The most prominent debuts in Bollywood this year". IBNlive. Retrieved 6 January 2015.
- "Top 200 Best Indian Actors and Actresses". imdb.com.
- "Airlift- Dialogue Promo-3". Retrieved 14 January 2016.
- "Inaamulhaq says NAKKASH is the fragrance of that divine Ganga-Jamuni tehzeeb". Retrieved 9 June 2018.
- "Cannes Film Festival 2018: Inaamulhaq's Nakkash poster unveiled". Retrieved 9 June 2018.
- "Airlift actor Inaamulhaq wins Best Actor Award for Nakkash at DC South Asian Film Festival". Retrieved 27 September 2018.
- "Inaamulhaq Is Part Of "Hasmukh", Confirmed!". Retrieved 27 September 2018.
- "Firaaq". Retrieved 28 March 2014.
- "Filmistaan- Review". gulfnews.com/. Retrieved 21 July 2014.
- "Inaamulhaq Comes up with Chidiya". ajournalistreveals.com/. Retrieved 21 September 2015.
- AIRLIFT - Dialogue Promo. T-Series. Retrieved 14 January 2016.
- "Inaamulhaq to again work with Akshay Kumar". timesofindia.indiatimes.com/.
- "The Real Hero of 'Phullu' Is Its Message, Not Craft".
- "Inaamulhaq speaks about his character in 'Lucknow Central'".
- "INAAMULHAQ COMES ON-BOARD KAPIL SHARMA'S FIRANGI".
- "Facebook G+ Twitter Pinterest Feedback Inaamulhaq's Next Nakkash Gets Grand Cannes Launch".
- "BHTB". Retrieved 29 March 2014.
- "Edit Screwed Up (2018– ) Full Cast & Crew". Retrieved 27 September 2018.
- "What critics say about Inaamulhaq's performance in 'Filmistaan Reviews'". Retrieved 27 February 2016.
- "Filmistaan Movie Review". timesofindia.indiatimes.com/. Retrieved 27 February 2016.
- "Movie review: 'Filmistan'". www.mid-day.com. Retrieved 27 February 2016.
- "Movies This Month:Filmistaan". www.bollywoodhungama.com/. Retrieved 27 February 2016.
- "Bollywood review: 'Filmistaan' finds Salman Khan a fitting substitute". www.emirates247.com. Retrieved 27 February 2016.
- "Filmistaan Review". Retrieved 27 February 2016.
- "Review: Filmistaan is absolutely flawless". www.rediff.com. Retrieved 27 February 2016.
- "Movie Review: Filmistaan". www.mumbaimirror.com/. Retrieved 27 February 2016.
- "What critics say about Inaamulhaq's performance in 'Airlift Reviews'". Retrieved 27 February 2016.
- "Taran Adarsh on Twitter". Retrieved 27 February 2016.
- "Review: Airlift – A stunning Film Where Realism Meets Entertainment". Retrieved 27 February 2016.
- "Airlift Review". Retrieved 27 February 2016.
- "Airlift – Review by Komal Nahta". Retrieved 27 February 2016.
- "Airlift review: Akshay's film is well executed and well-acted". Retrieved 27 February 2016.
- "Airlift Review : Akshay Kumar lifts Bollywood". Retrieved 27 February 2016.
- "The Pinkvilla Movie Review-Airlift". Retrieved 27 February 2016.
- "'Airlift' review: Amazing acting, editing & scale". Retrieved 27 February 2016.
- "Airlift Review: Biggest Human Evacuation Tale". Retrieved 27 February 2016.
- "Jollu LLB 2 Review".
- "Jolly LLB-2review".
- "Jolly LLB -2 Review".
- "Jolly LLB 2 review".
- "Jolly LLb 2 Review".
- "jolly llb2 review".
- "jolly llb 2 review".
- "Phullu Review".
- "Phullu Review".
- "Phullu Review".
- "Phullu Review".
- "Phullu Review".
- "Phulllu Review".
- "Phullu Review".
- "Phullu Review".
- "Phullu Review".
- "Please raise your hand if you are impressed with his speaking style in Airlift". Facebook.com. Retrieved 1 March 2016.
- "Am i the only one who loved his acting in Airlift". Facebook.com. Retrieved 1 March 2016.
- "DCSAFF-Official Website". Retrieved 27 September 2018.
- "Inaamulhaq wins Best Actor Award for Nakkash at DC South Asian Film Festival". Retrieved 27 September 2018.
- "21st Annual Screen Awards-Winners". Retrieved 17 January 2015.
- "IBNLive Movie Awards 2015". Retrieved 22 April 2015.
- "SICA Awards".
- "Aiba Awards Winners List". Retrieved 26 June 2015.
- "IIFA 2015 Nominations". Retrieved 22 April 2015.
- "The Search's official page". Retrieved 3 March 2014.
- "Comedy Circus". Retrieved 3 March 2014.
- "Mandy Profile". Retrieved 5 March 2014.
- "Theatre Gallery". Retrieved 13 April 2014.