Ilmar Raag (born 21 May 1968 in Kuressaare) is an Estonian media executive, actor, screenwriter and film director, best known for his socio-critical film The Class. He has served as CEO of Estonian Television  from 2002 to 2005. He is a well known columnist in many prestigious Estonian newspapers (Postimees, Eesti Päevaleht). In recent years he has written many scripts and directed critically acclaimed films, notably August 1991 and The Class.
Ilmar Raag in 2007.
|Awards||2007 Karlovy Vary International Film Festival East of West Award - Special Mention, Label Europa Cinemas; Warsaw International Film Festival FIPRESCI Prize, Special Jury Award - Warsaw Competition|
Raag was born in Kuressaare on 21 May 1968. He received his high school education from Aleksander Mui secondary school No 2 of Kingissepa. He graduated from University of Tartu in 1997 and received his M.A. degree in screenwriting from Ohio University, the School of Telecommunications (1999). He made internships in Hollywood development departments (New Regency, Phoenix Pictures). His further career took him to the TV management. After being the Head of Acquisitions for Estonian National Television, he was promoted to the Chairman of the Board of the same TV company. In 2002, he staged a play in one of the Estonian theaters (Ugala). At the same time, he started to consult and doctor Estonian feature scripts. In 2004, he wrote two TV feature scripts. He directed one of them - August 1991 as made-for-TV movie for Estonian Television and the other, One More Croissant got the third prize at Hartley Merill International Screenwriting Competition and the support from MEDIA New Talent program.
Eager to continue his filmmaking career, he quit as CEO of Estonian Television and made his first feature film The Class in 2007. Since then he shot a feature in France Une Estonienne à Paris with Jeanne Moreau and Laine Mägi in leading roles, back in Estonia Kertu that was released in 2013 and in Russia I Won't Come Back.
Currently he is developing new projects with producer Riina Sildos from Amrion (Estonia).
- 2014 I Won't Come Back
- 2013 Kertu (aka, Love Is Blind)
- 2012 Une Estonienne à Paris (aka. A Lady in Paris)
- 2007 Klass (The Class)
- 2005 August 1991 (television film)
- 1998 Tappev Tartu (Killing Tartu) (amateur film)
- "The Class". Palm Springs International Film Festival. Archived from the original on 23 March 2010. Retrieved 3 July 2009.
- "The Class". Brooklyn international film festival. Retrieved 3 July 2009.
- Open Society Institute (2005). Television across Europe:. Open Society Institute. p. 594. ISBN 1-891385-35-6.
- "Ilmar Raag". EU XXL Film. Retrieved 3 July 2009.[dead link]