This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)
Identity V is a free-to-play asymmetrical multiplayer survival horror game developed and published by Chinese company NetEase. It was released in July 2018 for mobile devices. It is available on the iOS App Store, Android Google Play Store, and Windows computers. The game follows a detective named Orpheus as he unravels the mystery behind a mysterious killing game within a manor. The gameplay is structured around five players participating in competitive matches, where one of them is tasked with eliminating the other players before they fulfill objectives and escape.
|Platform(s)||Microsoft Windows, Android, iOS MacOS|
Quick Matches and Rank Matches consist of five players. One player is a Hunter, and the remaining four are Survivors. Each Survivor is classified into 4 different categories: Decode types, Assist types, Contain types, and Rescue types. The Hunter's objective is to find and eliminate all Survivors before they can escape. To do this, the Hunter must pursue each Survivor individually, then eliminate them by placing them down on a Rocket Chair. Meanwhile, the Survivor's objective is to try to escape via two Exit Gates by deciphering five Cipher Machines and entering the password, or the Dungeon if there's one Survivor left. The Dungeon will appear only if there are under four ciphers remaining. The Hunter is able to win the match by eliminating at least three Survivors, while the Survivors are able to win should three Survivors escape. The Survivors will also be able to rescue teammates from Rocket Chairs in order to have an advantage in this area before the elimination process is over. If only two Survivors are eliminated and two have escaped, the match will end in a tie. Rewards vary based on the game mode. There are various characters to choose from, each having their own abilities in-game. The Secondary Skills system gives the Hunter advantages during matches.
Unlocking new characters requires Clues, which are obtained through playing matches and finishing quests. Up to two characters on both factions are available for free use each day.
Other game modesEdit
Other game modes exist with different rules. In Duo Hunters, two Hunters team up against a group of eight Survivors. This gamemode features telephone booths from which characters of both factions can purchase unique items.
Blackjack plays like regular Blackjack, with one of the players becoming a Hunter in each round.
In Tarot, a team of three Survivors (two Squires and a King) and one Hunter (playing as their team's Knight) face off against another team of the same composition, whose goal is to eliminate the opposing King before their rivals do. A special version, called Crystal Ball Tarot, gives certain characters temporary buffs through the activation of crystal balls.
A fourth mode added in 2021, known as Chasing Shadows, features six Survivors who have to race against each other in an obstacle course.
A fifth mode added in August 2022, called Frenzy Rhapsody, features six Survivors split into two teams and incorporates dodgeball elements into gameplay.
Identity V features two different ranking systems, in the form of Character Points and Tier Divisions. Both are used only in Ranked Matches, available at specific time slots during the day.
Character Points are earned by playing ranked matches while using a specific character, and are used to determine one's spot on the leaderboards. Character points are specific to each character and may slowly decrease over time. Character Points will also be reset when a new Season arrives.
Identity V also features eight Tiers split into subdivisions, which players can be sent up and down depending on their performance. Winning Ranked matches earns Rank Points and losing loses Rank Points. Once a certain number of Rank Points is reached, the player can go up to the next subdivision if they gain Rank Points in their next ranked match. The tier bracket the player ends up in will determine what reward they get once the season ends. Similar to Character Points, Tier Divisions are reset when a new Season arrives.
Alongside normal Rank Matches, players can participate in Five Players ranking matches, available at specific time slots during weekends. Five Players ranking mode uses a different set of Tiers and subdivisions but otherwise retains the same rules as normal Rank Matches.
The player initially assumes the role of Orpheus, an amnesiac detective who, on a case of a missing child, arrives at the Oletus Manor, the main setting of the game. The Oletus Manor is a large manor owned by a mysterious individual that holds "games" of the Hunter and the hunted. Throughout the duration of his stay, "Orpheus" collects evidence from written records, or "diaries", allowing him to visualize "games" from a participant's perspective.
On October 28, 2021, NetEase released a major expansion pack called "Time of Reunion" that further explores the storyline, particularly Orpheus's past and his involvement in the manor games.
Another story expansion pack, "Ashes of Memory", has been announced.
The game is somewhat notable for its crossover events, usually with media franchises containing elements of horror, murder mystery, or actions.
Identity V has collaborated with video game franchises Danganronpa and Persona, the film Edward Scissorhands, and the manga/anime series The Promised Neverland, Death Note, Junji Ito's Tomie, and Case Closed.
From June to July 2022, Identity V featured a crossover event with the Chinese television series Link Click. The game's collaboration with the manga series Bungo Stray Dogs has also been announced.
Dave Aubrey of Pocketgamer gave it a 3.5-star review, saying that the game is "well made, well polished, and pretty darn fun."
- "Identity V Background". 163.com.
- "Identity V Mobile Horror Game Review: This Thrilling Asymmetrical Multiplayer Will Be Your New Summer Obsession". newsweek.com. 5 July 2018.
- "Identity V at Gamepedia". gamepedia.com.
- "Identity V is set to receive a new map, game mode and three playable characters soon". pocketgamer.com.
- "Dear Detectives, hidden in a faraway mist is the new storyline of the game... The Ashes of Memory will soon be upon us, expect new characters, and stay tuned for more info!". twitter.com.
- "Identity V, NetEase's popular asymmetrical horror game, launches a crossover event with Danganronpa". pocketgamer.com.
- "The Identity V Danganronpa Collaboration is Now Live on iOS and Android". TouchArcade. 2020-05-28. Retrieved 2020-05-30.
- "NetEase's Horror Game, Identity V, Announces Crossover With Danganronpa". TheGamer. 2020-05-28. Retrieved 2020-05-30.
- "Danganronpa and Identity V to Collaborate Once Again". Siliconera. 2020-11-18. Retrieved 2020-11-18.
- "Identity V Danganronpa Event Includes Nagito and Chiaki". Siliconera. 2020-12-07. Retrieved 2020-12-07.
- "IDV X Persona 5". Youtube. Identity V. Retrieved 3 January 2021.
- "IDV X Edward Scissorhands". Youtube. Identity V. Retrieved 3 January 2021.
- Gregson-Wood, Stephen. "Identity V's crossover event with anime The Promised Neverland is now live". www.pocketgamer.com. Retrieved 2021-02-26.
- Identity V X the Promised Neverland Crossover Trailer, retrieved 2021-02-26
- "Identity V Detective Conan Crossover Announced For Global". gamerbraves.com.
- "Identity V X LINK CLICK Crossover begins today! Past or future, let them be. Ready to depart!". twitter.com.
- "IdentityV × Stray Dogs Crossover Event incoming!". twitter.com.
- "Identity V Announces Bungo Stray Dogs Crossover". animenewsnetwork.com.
- Aubrey, Dave. "Identity V review - Coraline inspired creeps". Pocket Gamer. Retrieved 27 June 2021.
- Official Website (English)