|Location||Douliu, Yunlin, Taiwan|
|Construction cost||NT$20.47 billion|
|Total capacity||52,180,000 m3 (42,300 acre⋅ft)|
|Catchment area||6.58 km2 (2.54 sq mi)|
History and objectivesEdit
The planning of the dam started already in 1979 and but was approved by Executive Yuan only in 2001. The stated goals of the dam are to "improve both quantity and quality for the domestic water supply in Yunlin County, reduce abstraction of ground water, slow down subsidence and improve environmental quality". Land subsidence, associated with groundwater extraction, has been a problem particularly in Yunlin. Critics maintain that industry needs motivated the dam.
The construction of the dam started in 2002. However, the construction was delayed for three times due to environmental and historical site preservation issues. Construction was completed in December 2015. The dam was officiated on 2 April 2016 by President Ma Ying-jeou when the sluice gate was closed and the dam started to store water. Fi
Water to the dam is diverted from Zhuoshui River. The dam can store up to 52.18 million m3 of water. The supply of water from Hushan Reservoir and the nearby Jiji Weir to Yunlin will eventually reach 432,000 tons per day.
- "Hushan Reservoir to be completed in 2014". Taipei Times. 23 July 2010. Retrieved 14 May 2016.
- Yeh Tzu-kang and Y.F. Low (2 April 2016). "Hushan Reservoir begins water storage operations". Focus Taiwan. Retrieved 14 May 2016.CS1 maint: Uses authors parameter (link)
- Huang Chiao-wen and Elizabeth Hsu (10 April 2016). "Hushan Reservoir operation in July to ease land subsidence in Yunlin". Focus Taiwan. Retrieved 14 May 2016.CS1 maint: Uses authors parameter (link)
- "Hushan Reservoir project". Central Region Water Resources Office, Water Resources Agency, Ministry of Economic Affairs. Retrieved 14 May 2016.
- June Tsai (11 March 2011). "Hushan dam reignites Taiwan's water resources debate". Taiwan Today. Retrieved 14 May 2016.