|Alma mater||École nationale supérieure de l'énergie, l'eau et l'environnement Grenoble, Institut national des sciences et techniques nucléaires Saclay, University of Canterbury (NZ)|
|Known for||Hydraulic engineering; Fluid dynamics; Hydrodynamics|
|Awards||13th IAHR Arthur Ippen Award, 2004 ASCE-EWRI award for best practice paper in Journal of Irrigation and Drainage Engineering|
|Institutions||University of Queensland|
|Doctoral advisor||Ian R. Wood|
Chanson authored several books among which: Hydraulic Design of Stepped Cascades, Channels, Weirs and Spillways (Pergamon, 1995), Air Bubble Entrainment in Free-Surface Turbulent Shear Flows (Academic Press, 1997), The Hydraulics of Open Channel Flow: An Introduction (Edward Arnold/Butterworth-Heinemann, 1999 & 2004), The Hydraulics of Stepped Chutes and Spillways (Balkema, 2001), Environmental Hydraulics of Open Channel Flows (Elsevier, 2004), Tidal Bores, Aegir, Eagre, Mascaret, Pororoca: Theory and Observations (World Scientific 2011) and Applied Hydrodynamics: An Introduction (CRC Press 2014). He co-authored the book Fluid Mechanics for Ecologists (IPC Press, 2002) and he edited several other books (Balkema 2004, IEaust 2004, The University of Queensland 2006, 2008, 2014). The textbook The Hydraulics of Open Channel Flow: An Introduction has already been translated into Chinese (Hydrology Bureau of Yellow River Conservancy Committee) and Spanish (McGraw Hill Interamericana) and the second edition appeared in 2004. He has further published over 850 peer-reviewed papers and his work was cited over 5,900 times (WoS) to 18,000 times. His h-index is 39, 43 and 67 in Web of Science, Scopus and Google Scholar respectively (in June 2015).
The International Association of Hydraulic Engineering and Research (IAHR) presented Chanson with the 13th Arthur Ippen Award for outstanding achievements in hydraulic engineering. The American Society of Civil Engineers, Environmental and Water Resources Institute (ASCE-EWRI) presented him with the 2004 award for the best practice paper in the ASCE Journal of Irrigation and Drainage Engineering ("Energy Dissipation and Air Entrainment in Stepped Storm Waterway", Chanson and Toombes 2002), and the 2018 Honorable Mention Paper Award for "Minimum Specific Energy and Transcritical Flow in Unsteady Open-Channel Flow" by Castro-Orgaz and Chanson (2016) in the ASCE Journal of Irrigation and Drainage Engineering.The Institution of Civil Engineers, UK presented him the 2018 Baker Medal. In 1999 he was awarded a Doctor of Engineering from the University of Queensland for his outstanding research achievements in gas-liquid bubbly flows. In 2018, he was inducted a Fellow of the Australasian Fluid Mechanics Society.
Hubert Chanson is ranked among the 150 most cited researchers in civil engineering in Shanghai’s Global Ranking of Academics.
- Chanson, Hubert. Environmental hydraulics for open channel flows. 2nd Edition. Elsevier, 2004. ISBN 9780750661652
- Chanson, Hubert. Hydraulics of open channel flow. Elsevier, 2004. ISBN 9780750659789
- Chanson, Hubert. Air bubble entrainment in free-surface turbulent shear flows. Elsevier, 1996. ISBN 9780121681104
- Chanson, Hubert. "Hydraulics of skimming flows over stepped channels and spillways." Journal of Hydraulic Research 32, no. 3 (1994): 445–460.
- Hubert Chanson publications indexed by Google Scholar
- Hubert Chanson (2011). "The 2010-2011 Floods in Queensland (Australia): Observations, First Comments and Personal Experience" (PDF). La Houille Blanche (1): 5–11. ISSN 0018-6368. Retrieved 22 April 2011.
- Leslie, Tim (21 January 2011). "Q&A - Dam expert analyses Wivenhoe". ABC News. Australian Broadcasting Corporation. Retrieved 22 April 2011.
- ORCID 0000-0002-2016-9650
- Chanson, H. (1999). Air-Water Bubbly Flows : Theory and Applications. Doctor of Engineering thesis, The University of Queensland, Australia.