Hu Yamei (Chinese: 胡亚美; 27 April 1923 – 3 October 2019) was a Chinese physician and medical researcher. She served as President of Beijing Children's Hospital, and co-founded Beijing Hu Yamei Children's Medical Research Institute (BHI). She was an academician of the Chinese Academy of Engineering. A specialist in the treatment of pediatric leukemia, she cured more than 700 children.
|Born||April 27, 1923|
|Died||October 3, 2019 (aged 96)|
|Alma mater||Yenching University|
|Institutions||Beijing Children's Hospital|
Hu was born into a wealthy businessman's family on April 27, 1923. In 1941 she was accepted to Yenching University, and transferred to Peking University in March of the following year. In 1946, she joined the underground organization of the Communist Party of China (CPC). Shortly after joining the Communist Party, she came to practice at the Beijing Private Children's Hospital. Hu has pioneered research on childhood leukemia in China since 1976., when she was 53 years old. In 1981, Hu became president of Beijing Children's Hospital, a affiliated hospital of the Capital Normal University. Hu was elected an academician of the Chinese Academy of Engineering (CAE) in 1994. In 2011, Hu founded the Beijing Hu Yamei Children's Medical Research Institute (BHI) with academician Zhang Jinzhe. On August 6, 2009, the then Premier Wen Jiabao visited her in Beijing. Hu died of illness in Beijing, aged 96.
Hu was a delegate to the 7th, 8th, 9th and 10th National People's Congress. He was also a delegate to the 12th and 13th National Congress of the Communist Party of China.
- Title of March 8th Red Banner
- May 1st Labor Medal
- Liu Guangbo (刘光博), ed. (3 October 2019). 我国唯一小儿内科院士胡亚美去世 专攻小儿白血病. sina (in Chinese). Retrieved 4 October 2019.
- Huang Juan (10 August 2009). "Physician Dedicated to Curing Children with Leukemia". Womenofchina. Retrieved 4 October 2019.
- xinhuanet (7 August 2009). "Premier Wen visits elderly scientists in Beijing". Chinadaily. Retrieved 4 October 2019.
- Liu Yang (刘洋), ed. (3 October 2019). 中国儿科血液学专家胡亚美院士病逝 享年96岁. ifeng (in Chinese). Retrieved 4 October 2019.
- Ma Haoge (马浩歌), ed. (4 October 2019). 中国工程院院士、儿科血液学专家胡亚美病逝，享年96岁. The Beijing News (in Chinese). Retrieved 4 October 2019.
- Biography of Hu Yamei on Wiley Online Library