Holyland Model of Jerusalem
The Holyland Model of Jerusalem is a 1:50 scale model of the city of Jerusalem in the late Second Temple period. The model was moved from its original location at the Holyland Hotel in Bayit VeGan, Jerusalem, to a new site at the Israel Museum in June 2006.
The model, measuring 2,000 square metres (22,000 sq ft) was commissioned in 1966 by the banker, the owner of the Holyland Hotel, in memory of his son, Yaakov, an IDF soldier who was killed in the 1947–1949 Palestine war in 1948. The model was designed by Israeli historian and geographer Michael Avi-Yonah based on the writings of Flavius Josephus and other historical sources. The model includes a replica of the Herodian Temple. From 1974, Yoram Tsafrir superintended the Holyland Model of Jerusalem.
In 2006, the model was relocated to the southern edge of the Billy Rose Sculpture Garden at the Israel Museum. In preparation for the move, the model was sawn into 1,000 pieces and later reassembled. The Holyland Hotel spent $3.5 million on the move.
The Jerusalem Model features a number of notable and important structures, as the model was based on the writings of Josephus at the time of its construction, since then some modifications have been made to the model (like the Hippodrome has been removed);
- Temple Mount and the Herodian Temple
- City of David
- Pool of Bethesda
- The Pool of Siloam
- Herod's Palace
- The Upper Market
- Herod's Theatre
- Hippodrome (now removed from the model)
- Monument of King Alexander Jannaeus
- Tomb of Huldah
- Antonia Fortress
- Tomb of King David
- "Rock of our existence". Archived from the original on February 11, 2007. Retrieved 2009-08-16. Cite uses deprecated parameter
|deadurl=(help)CS1 maint: BOT: original-url status unknown (link)
- Wharton, Annabel Jane (15 August 2006). Selling Jerusalem: Relics, Replicas, Theme Parks. University of Chicago Press. pp. 220–. ISBN 978-0-226-89422-5. Retrieved 14 April 2013.
- "Holyland Model of Jerusalem". Madain Project. Retrieved 14 May 2019.
- Balakirsky Katz, Maya (17 January 2011). "Avi Yonah's Model Of Second Temple Jerusalem And The Development Of Israeli Visual Culture". In Steven Fine (ed.). The Temple of Jerusalem: From Moses to the Messiah: In Honor of Professor Louis H. Feldman. BRILL. doi:10.1163/ej.9789004192539.i-405.75. ISBN 978-90-04-21471-2.