Hit Me with Your Best Shot
"Hit Me with Your Best Shot" is a song recorded by American rock singer Pat Benatar and written by Eddie Schwartz. In 1980, it was released as the second single from her second album Crimes of Passion, which became her biggest selling album. It hit No. 7 in Cash Box, and reached No. 9 on the Billboard Hot 100, becoming her first Top 10 hit in the US. It was particularly popular at album-rock radio stations, peaking at number 1 on the US Tunecaster Rock Tracks chart. It was also a Top 10 hit in Canada, although the only other country in which it charted was Australia where it reached the Top 40.
|"Hit Me with Your Best Shot"|
|Single by Pat Benatar|
|from the album Crimes of Passion|
|B-side||"Prisoner of Love"|
|Released||September 15, 1980|
|Pat Benatar singles chronology|
"Hit Me with Your Best Shot" sold well over a million copies in the U.S., achieving a gold certification by the RIAA. The song is one of Benatar's most recognizable tracks. Heard at many baseball and soccer games, the song has been featured on many compilation albums, including both multi-artist works as well as those just focusing on Benatar (such as 10 Great Songs and Greatest Hits).
Schwartz said that he came up with the title of the song after attending a "pillow punching" therapy session in Toronto, but stated that the title is to be taken metaphorically. The song is in E major and features a general chord progression of I-IV-vi-V, with occasional added chords built on passing and neighboring tones, although Benatar has commented that in hindsight she would have preferred to replace the C# minor (vi) chord with F# minor (ii).
|United Kingdom (BPI)||Silver||200,000|
|United States (RIAA)||Gold||1,000,000^|
^ Shipments figures based on certification alone.
Appearances in other media and popular cultureEdit
- The song is performed by Pat Benatar in the 1982 movie Spring Fever.
- It is covered in the 2012 movie Rock of Ages by Catherine Zeta-Jones featuring a dance scene.
Alternate song versions and coversEdit
- "Pat Benatar artist popular songs at Tunecaster".
- Wilhite, Jud (2007). That Crazy Little Thing Called Love: The Soundtrack of Marriage, Sex, and Faith. Standard Publishing. p. 105. ISBN 978-0-7847-1944-2.
- "Benatar Pat "Hit Me With Your Best Shot" Chords". Tablaturas.buanzo.com.ar. 1997-06-30. Archived from the original on 2012-04-26. Retrieved 2012-02-21.
- "Interview with Geoff Reynolds, "Pat Benatar Fires Away on Marriage, Middle Age, and the Future of Rock and Roll," Rocker Quarterly, Vol. IX, No. 4 (Winter 1995-96), p. 47.
- "ARIA Charts - End Of Year Charts - Top 50 Singles 1988". Aria.com.au. Retrieved 2016-10-16.
- "Top 100 Hits of 1981/Top 100 Songs of 1981". Musicoutfitters.com. Retrieved 2016-10-16.
- "British single certifications – Pat Benatar – Hit Me with Your Best Shot". British Phonographic Industry. Retrieved April 23, 2021.
- "American single certifications – Pat Benatar – Hit Me with Your Best Shot". Recording Industry Association of America. Retrieved April 23, 2021. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Single, then click SEARCH.
- "Regular Show" Go Viral (TV Episode 2011) - IMDb, 18 July 2011, retrieved 2021-04-06
- Samantha Grossman. "Kelly Clarkson Best Covers: Taylor Swift, Rihanna, Nick Jonas". TIME.com.