A historic district or heritage district is a section of a city which contains older buildings considered valuable for historical or architectural reasons. In some countries or jurisdictions, historic districts receive legal protection from certain types of development considered to be inappropriate.
In Canada, such districts are called "heritage conservation districts" or "heritage conservation areas" (known as "arrondissements historiques", "secteurs de conservation du patrimoine" or "districts de conservation du patrimoine" in French) and are governed by provincial legislation.
Many jurisdictions within the United States have specific legislation identifying and giving protection to designated historic districts.
The term "Historic District" is not used in the United Kingdom. The equivalent urban areas are known as Conservation Areas.
Iranian Heritage and Tourism organization has nominated and selected several cities for their valuable historical monuments and districts. Baft-e Tarikhi (In Persian: بافت تاریخی or historical texture) is the name such areas are labelled with. Naein, Isfahan and Yazd are examples of Iranian cities with historic districts.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2010-11-19. Retrieved 2010-08-28.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2010-09-26. Retrieved 2010-08-28.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2010-08-31. Retrieved 2010-08-28.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2010-09-18. Retrieved 2010-08-28.
- "Historic District Commissions - City of Boston". cityofboston.gov. Archived from the original on 2010-07-26.
- "Standards and Guidelines for the Conservation of Historic Places in Canada" (PDF). Canadian Register of Historic Places. Parks Canada. Archived (PDF) from the original on 29 October 2012. Retrieved 16 March 2013.
Media related to Historic districts at Wikimedia Commons