Henry Prunières (24 May 1886, in Paris – 11 April 1942, in Nanterre) was a French musicologist, and international proponent of contemporary art in various forms, including music, dance and painting. He occupies an important place in the art world between the wars, particularly with regard to music. His major contribution La Revue musicale, a monthly musical periodical which he founded in 1920 and left in 1939, is still a reference in the Western musical world.
Prunières received his doctorate at the Sorbonne in 1913, where he wrote his dissertations on Italian music in France before Jean-Baptiste Lully and ballet de cour in France before Lully. Between 1924-1935, he worked as the music correspondent at the New York Times. He was also secretary and chairman of the International Music Society. Prunières was an important figure in the early 20th-century renewal of interest in Lully and his music.
- Lully. Paris, 1910
- La musique de la chambre et l'ecurie. Paris, 1912
- Claudio Monteverdi. Paris, 1924
- La vie et l'oeuvre de Claudio Monteverdi. Paris, 1924
- Le vie illustre et libertine de Jean-Baptiste Lully. Paris, 1929
- Cavalli et l'opera venitien au XVIIe siecle. Paris, 1931
- Nouvelle histoire de la musique. Paris, 1934–6
- J-B. Lully: Oeuvres completes. Paris, 1930–39, 10 vols.
- Also spelled Henri Prunières; used the pseudonym Henry Debusne in his youth
- Wheeldon, Marianne (2009). Debussy's Late Style: Musical Meaning and Interpretation. Paris: Indiana University Press. p. 114. ISBN 0253352398.
- Prunières, Henry (1920). La Revue musicale. Editions de la Nouvelle revue française. p. 57. ISSN 0768-1593.
- Schmidt, Carl B. (2001). Entrancing Muse: A Documented Biography of Francis Poulenc. Pendragon Press. p. 484. ISBN 1576470261.
- André Danican Philidor, David Joseph Buch (1993). Dance Music from the "Ballets de Cour" 1575-1651 [Música Impresa]: Historical Commentary, Source Study, and Transcriptions from the Philidor Manuscripts. Pendragon Press. p. 41. ISBN 0945193335.
- Howard, Patricia. "Prunières, Henry." Grove Music Online. Accessed 12.10.14