Henry I of Castile
Henry I of Castile (14 April 1204 – 6 June 1217) was king of Castile. He was the son of Alfonso VIII of Castile and Eleanor of England, Queen of Castile (daughter of Henry II of England and Eleanor of Aquitaine). He was the brother of Berenguela and Mafalda of Castile.
|King of Castile and Toledo|
|Reign||5 October 1214 – 6 June 1217|
|Born||14 April 1204|
|Died||6 June 1217 (aged 13)|
|Spouse||Mafalda of Portugal|
|House||Castilian House of Ivrea|
|Father||Alfonso VIII of Castile|
|Mother||Eleanor of England|
In 1211 Henry became heir to the throne when his older brother Ferdinand suddenly died.
In 1215 Henry married Mafalda of Portugal, daughter of Sancho I of Portugal. As he was very young, the marriage was not consummated, and it was dissolved in 1216 by Pope Innocent III on grounds of consanguinity. In the same year, Henry became betrothed to his second cousin Sancha, heiress of León.
Henry died in Palencia in 1217 at the age of 13, killed by a tile coming off a roof. His sister Berengaria succeeded him, before renouncing the throne in favour of her son Ferdinand III. His body was interred at Las Huelgas monastery in Burgos.
|Ancestors of Henry I of Castile|
- Anales Toledanos
- Previté-Orton, Charles William, The shorter Cambridge Medieval History, (Cambridge University Press, 1952), 828.
- Martínez Díez, Gonzalo (2007). Alfonso VIII, rey de Castilla y Toledo (1158-1214). Gijón: Ediciones Trea, S.L. p. 46-53. ISBN 978-84-9704-327-4.
- Chronica Albrici Monachi Trium Fontium
- Henry’s family
- Craig Taylor, Debating the Hundred Years War, (Cambridge University Press, 2006), 87.
- Enrique I, King of Castile, Theresa M. Vann, Medieval Iberia: An Encyclopedia, Ed. E. Gerli, (Routledge, 2003), 303.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Henry I of Castile.|
- Charles William Previté-Orton, The shorter Cambridge Medieval History, Cambridge University Press, 1952.
- Taylor, Craig, Debating the Hundred Years War, Cambridge University Press, 2006.
Henry I of CastileBorn: 14 April 1204 Died: 6 June 1217
| King of Castile