Henninger Turm (Henninger Tower) was a grain storage silo located in the Sachsenhausen-Süd district of Frankfurt, Germany. It was built by Henninger Brewery (now part of the Binding Brewery/Radeberger Group) and had a storage capacity of 16,000 tons of barley. The 120 m (390 ft), 33-storey, reinforced concrete tower was designed by Karl Lieser and was built from 1959 to 1961. It was inaugurated on 18 May 1961. It was demolished in 2013. Until 1974 it was the tallest building in Frankfurt; and it remained the tallest storage silo in the world until its demolition.
The old Henninger-Turm
|Location||Hainer Weg 60|
|Construction started||1959 (Old) 2014-15 (New)|
|Completed||1961 (Old) 2016 (New)|
|Antenna spire||120 m (390 ft)|
|Roof||110 m (360 ft)|
|Top floor||107 m (351 ft)|
|Design and construction|
On top of the building was a barrel-like pod which contained a viewing platform and a revolving restaurant (originally two). On October 2002, the tower was closed to the public. From 1961 to 2008, the annual professional cycling race Rund um den Henninger-Turm was held on 1 May, the course circling the tower multiple times.
Neuer Henninger TurmEdit
In November 2012, it was announced that Henninger Turm would be demolished because it was too costly and uneconomic for renovation. Demolition began in January 2013 and was completed by the end of the year. On its site a new 140 m (460 ft) tall residential tower was built. Being inspired by the former Henniger Turm, the design was conceived by the architects Meixner Schlüter Wendt. Whereas both the contours and the side facing the city are strongly reminiscent of the original appearance of the old silo, the three other sides clearly indicate the new building’s function as a residential tower. The design was inspired by the old Henninger Turm. It contains 209 luxury apartments. The cornerstone for this project was laid in June 2014 and the tower was completed in summer 2017.
- Henninger Turm at Emporis
- "Henninger Turm". SkyscraperPage.
- Henninger Turm at Structurae
- "Lagersilo "Henninger Turm"" (in German). Frankfurt -Dokumentation zur Nachkriegszeit. 7 May 2005. Archived from the original on March 3, 2012. Retrieved 17 June 2012.
- "Neuer Henninger Turm". skyscraperpage.com. Retrieved 14 February 2015.
- Wagner, Thomas (28 April 2014). "Der neue Henninger Turm bleibt ein Wahrzeichen" (in German). Stylepark. Retrieved 1 July 2019.
- Kleilein, Doris (2017). "Die Hochhausdebatte" (PDF). Bauwelt (in German). 108 (10): 40–49. Retrieved 1 July 2019.
- Santifaller, Enrico (2018). "Neuer Henniger Turm". Domus, German Edition (in German). 7 (34): 58–67.
- Körner, Peter; Liesner, Maximilian; Schmal, Peter, eds. (2018). "New Henniger Turm". Best Highrises 2018/19: The International Highrise Award 2018 - Internationaler Hochhaus Preis 2018 (in German and English). Munich, Berlin, London, New York: Prestel Verlag. pp. 106–107. ISBN 978-3791358314.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Rund um den Henninger-Turm.|