Heart Condition (film)
Heart Condition is a 1990 American buddy comedy film starring Bob Hoskins, Denzel Washington and Chloe Webb. Denzel Washington stars as Napoleon Stone a lawyer and Bob Hoskins stars as Jack Moony as a police officer. The two rivals competing in the same work force area in their community to help bring down drug rate. Their goal would be to find the mysterious men that shot and killed Napoleon Stone.
|Directed by||James D. Parriott|
|Produced by||Steve Tisch|
|Written by||James D. Parriott|
|Music by||Patrick Leonard|
|Edited by||David Finfer|
|Distributed by||New Line Cinema|
The film was released on February 2, 1990, and grossed over $4 million in the U.S. It received negative reviews from critics.
This article needs an improved plot summary. (June 2015)
Hoskins plays police sergeant Jack Moony, a racist bigoted cop; and Washington plays Napoleon Stone, an irresistible persuader and ambulance-chasing lawyer who Moony hates. The feelings are mutual. Stone goes on to date Moony's ex-girlfriend which stirs up the pot between the two. Moony's years of bad habits, such as overeating, smoking, and drinking, finally catch up with him, risking his health and life. At the same time, Stone is gunned down in a drive-by shooting. After suffering a heart attack, Moony wakes up to find out that his new heart was once Stone's, and the dead lawyer's ghost has become his constant companion. Stone takes on the role of a manifested ghost that needs answers to why he was shot and who committed it. He seeks to haunt Moony to help him in this quest because of the relationship they once had that will now continue. Now, Moony will have to solve Stone's murder.
- Bob Hoskins as Jack Moony
- Denzel Washington as Napoleon Stone
- Lisa Stahl Sullivan as Annie
- Chloe Webb as Crystal Gerrity
- Roger E. Mosley as Captain Wendt
- Ja'net Dubois as Mrs. Stone
- Alan Rachins as Dr. Posner
- Ray Baker as Harry Zara
- Jeffrey Meek as Graham
- Eva LaRue as Peisha
- Clayton Landey as Posner's assistant
The movie's reception was largely negative, scoring an 11% approval rating on Rotten Tomatoes based on 9 reviews. Roger Ebert gave the film two stars. In 2021, Vulture ranked 47 Denzel Washington movies, with Heart Condition coming in place 47.
- Hinson, Hal (February 3, 1990). "Heart Condition". The Washington Post. Retrieved February 27, 2019.
- Hicks, Chris (February 2, 1990). "Film review: Heart Condition". Deseret News. Retrieved February 27, 2019.
- "Heart Condition (1990)". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved December 28, 2020.
- Ebert, Roger (February 2, 1990). "Heart Condition". RogerEbert.com. Retrieved February 27, 2019.
- Heart Condition at IMDb
- Heart Condition at AllMovie
- Heart Condition at Box Office Mojo
- Heart Condition at Rotten Tomatoes