Harcourt Vanden-Bempde-Johnstone, 1st Baron Derwent
Harcourt Vanden-Bempde-Johnstone, 1st Baron Derwent (3 January 1829 – 1 March 1916), known as Sir Harcourt Vanden-Bempde-Johnstone, 3rd Baronet, from 1869 to 1881, was a British peer and Liberal Party politician. He served for ten years as a Member of Parliament (MP), before becoming a peer with a seat in the House of Lords.
Derwent was the son of Sir John Vanden-Bempde-Johnstone, 2nd Baronet, and Louisa Augusta Venables-Vernon-Harcourt, daughter of the Most Reverend Edward Venables-Vernon-Harcourt, Archbishop of York. He succeeded as second Baronet on the death of his father in 1869 and the same year he also succeeded his father as MP for Scarborough, a seat he held until 1880. In 1881 he was raised to the peerage as Baron Derwent, of Hackness in the North Riding of the County of York.
As a young man he served as a lieutenant in the 2nd Life Guards, and on 22 January 1863 he was commissioned as major in the 1st Administrative Brigade of Yorkshire (East Riding) Artillery Volunteers.
- Francis, 2nd Baron Derwent, born 26 May 1851, died 30 April 1929
- Hilda Vanden-Bempde-Johnstone, died young, March 1853
- Hon. Edward Henry Vanden-Bempde-Johnstone, born 27 November 1854, died 29 April 1903
- Hon. Cecil C.E. Vanden-Bempde-Johnstone, born 26 December 1856, died 29 January 1933
- Sir Alan Vanden-Bempde-Johnstone, GCVO, born 31 August 1858, died 31 July 1932
- Hon. Edith Vanden-Bempde-Johnstone, born 7 June 1860
- Hon. Louis Vanden-Bempde-Johnstone, born 25 February 1862, died 12 December 1922
- Mary Vanden-Bempde-Johnstone, died young 1865
- Hon. Gilbert Vanden-Bempde-Johnstone, 25 September 1865, died 5 January 1949
- Derwent at Burke's.
- Army List.
- Hillingdon at Burke's.
- Burke's Peerage, Baronetage and Knightage, 100th Edn, London, 1953.
- Kidd, Charles, Williamson, David (editors). Debrett's Peerage and Baronetage (1990 edition). New York: St Martin's Press, 1990,[page needed]
- Leigh Rayment's Peerage Pages [self-published source][better source needed]
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs
- Lundy, Darryl. "FAQ". The Peerage.[unreliable source]
- Hansard 1803–2005: contributions in Parliament by Harcourt Vanden-Bempde-Johnstone
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
Sir John Vanden-Bempde-Johnstone and
| Member of Parliament for Scarborough
With: John Dent 1869–1874
Sir Charles Legard 1874–1880
William Sproston Caine 1880
William Sproston Caine and
John George Dodson
|Baronetage of Great Britain|
(of Hackness Hall)
|Peerage of the United Kingdom|
|New creation|| Baron Derwent