Johann Schlemmer (18 January 1893 – 26 June 1973) was a German general during World War II who commanded the LXXV Army Corps. He was a recipient of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves. Schlemmer surrendered to Allied troops in Italy in 1945.
|Born||18 January 1893|
|Died||26 June 1973(aged 80)|
|Rank||General der Gebirgstruppe|
|Commands held||134th Infantry Division|
LXXV Army Corps
|Battles/wars||World War I
World War II
|Awards||Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves|
Life and careerEdit
Johann Schlemmer was born in Nesselwang in Bavaria on 18 January 1893. Joining the German Army in 1913, he served in World War I as a lieutenant in the Bavarian Artillery. He remained in the army after 1918. At the outbreak of World War II he commanded first a battalion, then a regiment, of mountain artillery, before being promoted to general officer rank, commanding the 134th Infantry Division.
Awards and decorationsEdit
- Iron Cross (1914) 2nd Class (9 November 1914) & 1st Class (17 December 1916)
- Clasp to the Iron Cross (1939) 2nd Class (2 October 1939) & 1st Class (25 May 1940)
- German Cross in Gold on 23 January 1942 as Oberst (Colonel) in the 134th Infantry Division
- Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves
- Fellgiebel, Walther-Peer (2000) . Die Träger des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939–1945 — Die Inhaber der höchsten Auszeichnung des Zweiten Weltkrieges aller Wehrmachtteile [The Bearers of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939–1945 — The Owners of the Highest Award of the Second World War of all Wehrmacht Branches] (in German). Friedberg, Germany: Podzun-Pallas. ISBN 978-3-7909-0284-6. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Lucas, James (1980). Alpine Elite: German Mountain Troops of World War II. Jane's Publishing. ISBN 0531037134.
- Patzwall, Klaus D.; Scherzer, Veit (2001). Das Deutsche Kreuz 1941 – 1945 Geschichte und Inhaber Band II [The German Cross 1941 – 1945 History and Recipients Volume 2] (in German). Norderstedt, Germany: Verlag Klaus D. Patzwall. ISBN 978-3-931533-45-8.
- Thomas, Franz (1998). Die Eichenlaubträger 1939–1945 Band 2: L–Z [The Oak Leaves Bearers 1939–1945 Volume 2: L–Z] (in German). Osnabrück, Germany: Biblio-Verlag. ISBN 978-3-7648-2300-9.
Generalleutnant Conrad von Cochenhausen
| Commander of 134. Infanterie-Division
12 December 1941 – February 1944
Generalmajor Rudolf Bader
General der Infanterie Anton Dostler
| Commander of LXXV Army Corps
2 July 1944 – 8 May 1945