Gymnastics at the 2012 Summer Olympics
Three gymnastics disciplines were contested at the 2012 Olympic Games in London: artistic gymnastics, rhythmic gymnastics and trampolining. The trampoline events were held at the North Greenwich Arena (normally called The O2 Arena) from 3 to 4 August; the artistic events were also held at the North Greenwich Arena, from 28 July to 7 August. The rhythmic gymnastics events took place at Wembley Arena from 9 to 12 August.
at the Games of the XXX Olympiad
Pictograms for Artistic gymnastics (left), Rhythmic gymnastics (center), and Trampolining (right)
|Venue||North Greenwich Arena (trampoline, artistic)|
Wembley Arena (rhythmic)
|Dates||28 July – 12 August|
A total of 54 medals were awarded across the three disciplines. The most successful nation was China, winning five gold medals and 12 in total. Brazil and South Korea won their first gold medal in the discipline in the history of the Summer Olympic Games, at these games Yevgeniya Kanayeva of Russia marked history by becoming the first back-to-back Olympic champion at the individual all-around in rhythmic gymnastics.
Qualification was based on the results of the 2011 World Rhythmic Gymnastics Championships held in Montpellier, France, from 19–25 September; the 2011 World Artistic Gymnastics Championships in Tokyo, Japan, from 7–16 October; the 2011 Trampoline World Championships in Birmingham, United Kingdom, from 17–20 November; and Olympic test events held in January 2012 at the North Greenwich Arena.
|Event↓/Date →||Sat 28||Sun 29||Mon 30||Tue 31||Wed 1||Thur 2||Sun 5||Mon 6||Tue 7|
|Men's individual all-around||Q||F|
|Men's team all-around||F|
|Men's pommel horse||F|
|Men's parallel bars||F|
|Men's horizontal bar||F|
|Women's individual all-around||Q||F|
|Women's team all-around||F|
|Women's balance beam||F|
|Women's uneven bars||F|
|Event↓/Date →||Thu 9||Fri 10||Sat 11||Sun 12|
|Event↓/Date →||Fri 3||Sat 4|
Overall medal tableEdit
|Totals (16 nations)||18||18||18||54|
|| China (CHN)
| Japan (JPN)
| Great Britain (GBR)|
|| United States (USA)
| Russia (RUS)
| Romania (ROU)|
The men's artistic team all-around final became the subject of controversy when the judges were booed by the crowd following Japan's Kōhei Uchimura's score for his pommel horse routine, and how it shuffled the medals of Japan, Great Britain, and Ukraine.
- "Gymnastics at the 2012 London Summer Games". Sports Reference. Retrieved 24 August 2019.
- "Gymnastics – Artistic – Schedule & Results". London 2012. Retrieved 21 May 2012.
- "Gymnastics – Rhythmic – Schedule & Results". London 2012. Retrieved 21 May 2012.
- "Trampoline – Schedule & Results". London 2012. Retrieved 21 May 2012.
- NBC, 2012 Olympic Summer Games - Evening, airdate: 30 July 2012
- Liviu Bird (30 July 2012). "2012 Olympic Men's Gymnastics: Judges, US Fold Under Pressure of Biggest Stage". Bleacher Report.
- Patrick Clarke (30 July 2012). "Men's Gymnastics Olympic Controversy: Japan Takes Silver, Great Britain Snubbed". Bleacher Report.
- Louise Eccles (30 July 2012). "Robbed! Heartbreak for GB gymnasts as they are handed historic silver medal then bumped down to bronze after Japanese appeal". Daily Mail.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Gymnastics at the 2012 Summer Olympics.|
- "Gymnastics - Artistic at the 2012 Summer Olympics (London2012.com)". Archived from the original on 28 February 2013. Retrieved 19 July 2012.CS1 maint: BOT: original-url status unknown (link)
- "Gymnastics - Rhythmic at the 2012 Summer Olympics (London2012.com)". Archived from the original on 28 February 2013. Retrieved 19 July 2012.CS1 maint: BOT: original-url status unknown (link)
- "Trampoline at the 2012 Summer Olympics (London2012.com)". Archived from the original on 28 February 2013. Retrieved 19 July 2012.CS1 maint: BOT: original-url status unknown (link)
- Gymnastics at the 2012 Summer Olympics at SR/Olympics
- Rhythmic Gymnastics at the 2012 Summer Olympics at SR/Olympics
- Trampolining at the 2012 Summer Olympics at SR/Olympics
- Fédération Internationale de Gymnastique