Guys with Kids
Guys with Kids is an American sitcom that aired on NBC, from September 11, 2012 to February 27, 2013, as part of the 2012–13 television schedule. The series was created by Jimmy Fallon and Charlie Grandy and starred Anthony Anderson, Jesse Bradford, Zach Cregger, Jamie-Lynn Sigler, Erinn Hayes, and Tempestt Bledsoe. The series chronicles the lives of three friends, and their respective partners, as they raise their children in a modern environment.
|Guys with Kids|
Promotional image for Guys with Kids
|Created by||Jimmy Fallon|
|Theme music composer||Amy Miles|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||1|
|No. of episodes||17 (list of episodes)|
|Executive producer(s)||Jimmy Fallon|
|Running time||22 minutes|
|Production company(s)||Holiday Road|
Charlie Grandy Productions
|Distributor||NBCUniversal Television Distribution|
|Picture format||1080i (HDTV) (ATSC)|
|Audio format||Stereo (ATSC)|
|First shown in||Canada (September 11, 2012)|
|Original release||September 12, 2012 –|
February 27, 2013
- Anthony Anderson as Gary, father of Yoda, Clark, and twin boys, Robbie and GJ (Gary Jr.).
- Jesse Bradford as Chris Campbell, father to Ernie
- Zach Cregger as Nick Theyer, father to Violet and Freddie
- Tempestt Bledsoe as Marny, wife of Gary
- Erinn Hayes as Sheila, divorced from Chris
- Jamie-Lynn Sigler as Emily Theyer, wife of Nick
- Brian Mganga as Clark
- Marleik Walker II as Yoda
- Mykayla Sohn as Violet
Cast members appearing in at least two episodes include:
Development and productionEdit
It was announced in June 2012 that Sara Rue, who portrayed Sheila in the original pilot, would be replaced by Erinn Hayes, a change necessitated when ABC decided to pick up the comedy Malibu Country, which also starred Rue.
On May 9, 2013, Guys with Kids was canceled by NBC after one season and was not renewed for a second season.
|No.||Title||Directed by||Written by||Original air date||Prod.|
|1||"Pilot"||Scott Ellis||Story by : Jimmy Fallon, Charlie Grandy & Amy Ozols |
Teleplay by : Charlie Grandy
|September 12, 2012||101||6.25|
|Chris stands up to his ex-wife Shelia when he wants to go on a date.|
|2||"Chris' New Girlfriend"||Michael Lembeck||Keith Heisler||September 26, 2012||103||4.84|
|Chris has a new girlfriend who used to date Nick. It is later revealed that Nick used the same first date for multiple women.|
|3||"Marny Wants A Girl"||Ken Whittingham||Courtney Lilly||October 3, 2012||104||4.76|
|Marny decides she wants another kid: a daughter. A fight breaks out during the CPR class that Shelia forces everyone to participate in.|
|4||"The Standoff"||Michael Lembeck||Story by : Charlie Grandy |
Teleplay by : Rick Wiener & Kenny Schwartz
|October 10, 2012||102||4.19|
|Gary tries to discipline Yoda with unconventional tactics, including setting up a slip in slide in the middle of the apartment. Nick learns that there is more to a school project and gets competitive.|
|5||"Gary's Day Off"||Ken Whittingham||Matt Lawton||October 17, 2012||105||4.41|
|Shelia moves out of her old place with Chris, Nick and Gary's help so that Chris can have his Giants tickets back. Marny gives Gary a day off which results in her needing help from Emily.|
|6||"Apartment Halloween"||Leonard R. Garner, Jr.||Donald Diego||October 24, 2012||106||3.83|
|After the new co-op board president tells Nick he can't have his hall haunted house, Shelia and Nick set her up with Chris to get what they want. Meanwhile, Chris wants Shelia to become friends with Nick.|
|7||"The Bathroom Incident"||Michael Lembeck||Charlie Grandy||October 31, 2012||107||3.62|
|Freddie and Ernie lock themselves inside a bathroom causing Nick to realize he needs to be better prepared. Emily helps Gary organize his apartment.|
|8||"First Birthday"||Leonard R. Garner, Jr.||Alan R. Cohen & Alan Freedland||November 14, 2012||108||3.91|
|Ernie's first birthday arrives and Shelia and Chris fight over the birthday party.|
|9||"Thanksgiving"||Betsy Thomas||Keith Heisler||November 21, 2012||109||3.47|
|Shelia hosts a crazy thanksgiving as Gary waits on line for three days to get a new TV.|
|10||"Christmas"||Michael Lembeck||Story by : Charlie Grandy |
Teleplay by : Rick Wiener & Kenny Schwartz
|December 5, 2012||110||3.59|
|Gary and Marnie get drunk and insult Emily and Nick's idea of a romantic date.|
|11||"First Word"||Leonard R. Garner, Jr.||Story by : Rick Weiner & Kenny Schwartz |
Teleplay by : Charlie Grandy
|January 2, 2013||111||4.39|
|As Shelia sticks around due to waiting on Ernie's first word, Nick and Chris reminisce on the past, including the night that Nick got engaged to Emily while Chris was dating Sage (Fiona Gubelmann), the night that Violet was born and they met Gary and Marnie, Chris's wedding to Shelia, the night that Gary chipped his tooth, and the night that Chris had told his friends that he was getting a divorce. In the present, Nick and Emily try looking up Sage.|
|12||"Marny's Dad"||Betsy Thomas||Courtney Lilly||January 9, 2013||112||3.97|
|Gary learns why Marnie's dad doesn't like him when he comes to visit.|
|13||"Me Time"||Michael Lembeck||Alan R. Cohen & Alan Freedland||January 30, 2013||113||2.93|
|Marnie wants some alone time as Shelia, Nick, Chris, and Emily start competing in trivia nights at the bar.|
|14||"The Will"||Mark Cendrowski||Lauren Caltagirone||February 6, 2013||114||3.20|
|After suffering a health problem, Marnie and Gary decide who to leave their kids to in their will. Chris becomes overwhelmed by Shelia's nanny, Andy (Mark Consuelos).|
|15||"Gary's Idea"||Leonard R. Garner, Jr.||Lauren Caltagirone & Donald Diego||February 13, 2013||115||2.85|
|With Chris deciding to change something in his life, he decided to pick up a new hobbie. Nick and Emily's babysitter Stacy (Sara Paxton) likes Chris.|
|16||"Rare Breed"||Leonard R. Garner, Jr.||Story by : Charlie Grandy |
Teleplay by : Rick Weiner & Kenny Schwartz
|February 20, 2013||116||2.83|
|Gary tries to be a stay at home dad while working on his wrapkin.|
|17||"Divorce Party"||Betsy Thomas||Matt Lawton||February 27, 2013||117||3.07|
|Marnie's sister Bridget (Keshia Knight Pulliam) comes to town and Marnie hires her to work with Gary. When Nick learned that Shelia and Chris were thinking of having another baby, he decided to host a divorce party and invites Sage. Shelia and Sage meet when Chris stayed at the party. The show ends with a cliff-hanger.|
Guys With Kids received generally negative reviews from critics. On Metacritic, the show received a score of 38 out of 100, from 25 reviews, indicating "generally unfavorable reviews". Rotten Tomatoes rated season 1 as 7% based on reviews from 28 critics, with the critical consensus: "Worthless and abysmal, Guys with Kids is pitiful in its lack of humor and plot."
Glenn Garvin of the Miami Herald was only one of a few who gave a positive review, saying "Guys With Kids is a perfect confection of witty dialogue and slapstick action." Matt Zoller Seitz of New York Magazine stated "I expected to hate Guys With Kids... My animosity faded after about five minutes, when it became clear that the show wasn't terribly interested in the kids." Diane Wertz of Newsday gave it a D and stated "Nothing to see here. Move on." Matt Rouse of TV Guide wrote, "The season's most depressingly generic and retro sitcom, so squishy and lacking in edge it might as well been written in nerf".
- House Husbands, a 2012 Australian television comedy with a similar premise
- "Guys with Kids | Watch Guys with Kids Online - Full Episodes". GlobalTV.com. Retrieved March 30, 2013.
- McNamara, Mary (September 25, 2012). "Review: NBC's new comedy 'Guys With Kids' dumbs daddy down". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved September 25, 2012.
- Guys with Kids on IMDb . Retrieved 2013-05-17.
- Goldberg, Lesley (May 9, 2012). "NBC Pickups Continue With Series Order for Comedy From Jimmy Fallon". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved May 9, 2012.
- Andreeva, Nellie (June 27, 2012). "Erinn Hayes Joins Cast Of NBC's Upcoming 'Guys With Kids'". Deadline.com. Retrieved 2012-09-15.
- "'Malibu Country' Canceled: ABC Will Not Order Season 2 Of Reba McEntire-Fronted Comedy". The Huffington Post. May 10, 2013. Retrieved 2013-05-11.
- Nellie Andreeva (November 15, 2012). "NBC's 'Guys With Kids' Gets Order For Four More Episodes". deadline.com. Retrieved November 20, 2012.
- "NBC Extends "Guys with Kids" to 17 Episodes". The Futon Critic. November 15, 2012. Retrieved 15 November 2012.
- Andreeva, Nellie (May 9, 2013). "UPDATE: 'Guys With Kids', 'Up All Night', 'Whitney' & '1600 Penn' Cancelled, 'Parks & Recreation' Renewed". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved May 9, 2013.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (September 12, 2012). "Wednesday Final Ratings: 'The Voice' 'The X Factor' & 'Big Brother' Adjusted Up, No Adjustments for 'America's Got Talent' or 'Guys With Kids'". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved September 13, 2012.
- Bibel, Sara (September 27, 2012). "Wednesday Final Ratings: 'X Factor', 'Survivor', 'The Middle' Adjusted Up, 'The Neighbors' Adjusted Down". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved September 27, 2012.
- Bibel, Sara (October 4, 2012). "Wednesday Final Ratings:'The X Factor', 'Survivor' Adjusted Up; 'Animal Practice', 'Guys With Kids' & 'The Neighbors' Adjusted Down Plus Final Debate Numbers". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved October 4, 2012.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (October 11, 2012). "Wednesday Final Ratings:'The X Factor', 'Survivor', 'The Neighbors' & 'Modern Family' Adjusted Up; No Adjustments for 'Arrow'". TV by the Numbers. Archived from the original on December 4, 2012. Retrieved October 11, 2012.
- Bibel, Sara (October 18, 2012). "Wednesday Final Ratings: 'Modern Family', 'Survivor', 'Animal Practice' Adjusted Up; 'CSI' Adjusted Down Plus Unscrambled FOX Ratings". TV by the Numbers. Archived from the original on December 5, 2012. Retrieved October 18, 2012.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (October 25, 2012). "TV Ratings Wednesday: 'Arrow' & 'Supernatural' Down, 'Animal Practice', 'Law & Order', 'Modern Family' & 'Chicago Fire' Up + World Series". TV by the Numbers. Zap2it. Retrieved 2012-11-06.
- Bibel, Sara (November 1, 2012). "Wednesday Final Ratings: 'Survivor', 'The Neighbors', 'Modern Family', 'CSI' & 'Chicago Fire' Adjusted Up; '30 Rock', 'Guys With Kids', & 'Supernatural' Adjusted Down". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved November 1, 2012.
- Bibel, Sara (November 15, 2012). "Wednesday Final Ratings: 'The Middle', 'Law & Order: SVU', & 'CSI' Adjusted Up". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved November 15, 2012.
- Bibel, Sara (November 26, 2012). "Wednesday Final Ratings: 'CSI' Adjusted Up". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved November 27, 2012.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (December 7, 2012). "Wednesday Final Ratings: 'Chicago Fire' Rises to Tie Series Debut, 'The X Factor' Dips + 'The Middle' & 'Arrow' Down". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved December 9, 2012.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (January 4, 2012). "Wednesday Final Ratings: 'Law & Order: SVU' and 'Nashville' Adjusted Up". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved January 4, 2012.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (January 10, 2013). "Wednesday Final Ratings: 'People's Choice Awards', 'The Neighbors' & 'Nashville' Adjusted Up; 'Suburgatory' & 'I Get That A Lot' Adjusted Down (Updated)". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved January 11, 2013.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (January 31, 2013). "Wednesday Final Ratings: 'American Idol' & 'Chicago Fire' Adjusted Up; 'Super Bowl's Greatest Commercials' Adjusted Down". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved January 31, 2013.
- Bibel, Sara (February 7, 2013). "Wednesday Final Ratings: 'Supernatural', 'Criminal Minds' & 'Chicago Fire' Adjusted Up; 'Modern Family', 'The Neighbors' & 'Suburgatory' Adjusted Down". TV by the Numbers. Zap2it. Retrieved February 7, 2013.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (February 14, 2013). "Wednesday Final Ratings: 'CSI', 'Suburgatory' & 'Law & Order: SVU' Adjusted Down". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved February 16, 2013.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (January 30, 2013). "Tuesday Final Ratings: 'NCIS', 'Raising Hope', 'New Girl' & 'Go On' Adjusted Up". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved January 31, 2013.
- Bibel, Sara (February 21, 2013). "Wednesday Final Ratings: 'The Middle' & 'Modern Family' Adjusted Up; 'Survivor', 'Guys With Kids', 'Criminal Minds' & 'Law & Order: SVU' Adjusted Down". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved February 28, 2013.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (February 28, 2013). "TV Ratings Wednesday: 'American Idol' Falls Further, 'Nashville' & 'CSI' Hit Lows + 'Arrow' & 'Survivor' Rise (Updated)". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved March 30, 2013.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (February 28, 2013). "Wednesday Final Ratings: 'Chicago Fire', 'American Idol', & 'CSI' Adjusted Up; 'Suburgatory' Adjusted down". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved February 28, 2013.
- "Guys with Kids - Season 1 Reviews, Ratings, Credits and More". Metacritic. September 11, 2012. Retrieved September 12, 2012.
- "Guys with Kids - Rotten Tomatoes". Rotten Tomatoes. Fandango Media. Retrieved 5 August 2016.
- Garvin, Glenn (September 12, 2012). "A hilarious riff on a familiar theme". Miami Herald. Retrieved September 13, 2012.
- Zoller Seitz, Matt (September 12, 2012). "Seitz: Guys With Kids Is Charming Pro-Bro Propaganda". Vulture.com. New York Magazine. Retrieved September 13, 2012.
- Wertz, Diane (September 11, 2012). "'Guys With Kids' review: A crying shame". Newsday. Retrieved September 13, 2012.
- TV Guide September 17-23, 2012. pg.58.
- "The "44th NAACP Image Award" Nominees Announced" (PDF). Press release. NAACP Image Awards. December 11, 2012. Archived from the original (PDF) on March 19, 2013. Retrieved 2013-05-17.