Guy R. McPherson (born 29 February 1960) is an American scientist, professor emeritus of natural resources and ecology and evolutionary biology at the University of Arizona. He is best known for promoting the idea of near term extinction (NTE), a term he coined about the possibility of human extinction as soon as 2030.
|Guy R. McPherson|
|Born||February 29, 1960|
McPherson is also an author, independent scholar, lecturer, blogger, cultural critic, and permaculturist. He was the co-host of his own radio show, "Nature Bats Last"; he stepped down in October 2017 but the show continued under a new host. He is featured in a YouTube video series Guy, Fawkes, and Jamen Show. He has taught for twenty years at the University of Arizona and has served as an expert witness for legal cases involving forest fires.
In May 2009, McPherson began transitioning to living on an off-grid homestead in southern New Mexico. McPherson authors a blog called "Nature Bats Last", that focuses on global climate change, energy decline and the possibility of imminent human extinction due to the increasing accumulation of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere. On November 1, 2015, McPherson was interviewed on National Geographic Explorer with host Bill Nye.
Regarding his NTE views, Andrew Revkin in The New York Times said McPherson was an "apocalyptic ecologist ... who has built something of an 'End of Days' following". Michael Tobis, a climate scientist from the University of Wisconsin, said McPherson was out of his depth and "is not the opposite of a denialist. He is a denialist, albeit of a different stripe."
- McPherson, G.R., D.D. Wade, and C.B. Phillips (compilers). 1990. Glossary of Fire Management Terms Used in the United States. Society of American Foresters, Bethesda, Maryland.
- McPherson, G.R. 1997. Ecology and Management of North American Savannas. University of Arizona Press, Tucson.
- McPherson, G.R. and S. DeStefano. 2003. Applied Ecology and Natural Resource Management. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, England.
- Weltzin, J.F. and G.R. McPherson (editors). 2003. Changing Precipitation Regimes and Terrestrial Ecosystems. University of Arizona Press, Tucson.
- McPherson, G.R. 2004. Killing the Natives: Has the American Dream Become a Nightmare? Whitmore Publishing Company, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
- McPherson, G.R. 2006. Letters to a Young Academic: Seeking Teachable Moments. Rowman & Littlefield Education, Lanham, Maryland.
- Brothers, Mac. 2006. Academic Pursuits. PublishAmerica, Baltimore, Maryland.
- Jensen, S.E. and G.R. McPherson. 2008. Living with Fire: Fire Ecology and Policy for the Twenty-first Century. University of California Press, Berkeley. View video of book-signing event here.
- Esparza, A.X. and G.R. McPherson (editors). 2009. The Planner's Guide to Natural Resource Conservation: The Science of Land Development Beyond the Metropolitan Fringe. Springer, New York.
- McPherson, G.R. 2011. Walking Away from Empire: A Personal Journey. PublishAmerica, Baltimore, Maryland.
- McPherson, G.R. 2013. Going Dark. PublishAmerica, Baltimore, Maryland.
- Baker, C. and G.R. McPherson. 2014. Extinction Dialogs: How to Live with Death in Mind. Tayen Lane Publishing.
- Schneider,P. and G.R. McPherson. 2015. Ms. Ladybug and Mr. Honeybee: A Love Story at the End of Time. America Star Books, Baltimore, Maryland.
- Guy M. McPherson. "Guy R. McPherson Faculty Page". University of Arizona. Retrieved July 10, 2016.
- Nathan Curry (August 21, 2013). "Humanity Is Getting Verrrrrrry Close to Extinction". Vice.com. Retrieved July 10, 2016.
- Jamail, Dahr. "Mass Extinction: It's the End of the World as We Know It". Truthout. Retrieved 6 July 2015.
- Richardson, John H. "When the End of Human Civilization is your Day Job". Esquire. Retrieved 7 July 2015.
- Michael Bastasch (October 22, 2014). "Professor: 'Terminate Industrial Civilization' To Save Earth From Global Warming". Daily Caller. Retrieved July 10, 2016.
- Anna Majavu (November 6, 2014). "Africa: Climate Change No Longer Linear". AllAfrica.com. Retrieved July 10, 2016.
- "Nature Bats Last". Premiere Networks. Retrieved July 10, 2016.[permanent dead link]
- Guy McPherson (October 1, 2017). "NBL Radio Hosted by Kevin Hester". guymcpherson.com. Retrieved October 6, 2017.
- "Guy, Fawkes, and Jamen Show". YouTube. Retrieved October 6, 2017.
- Guy M. McPherson. "Guy R. McPherson Faculty Page: Services". University of Arizona. Retrieved July 10, 2016.
- Andrew Revkin (October 31, 2015). "National Geographic Explores Bill Nye's Climate Change Denial – and Arnold Schwarzenegger's Analysis". The New York Times. Retrieved July 10, 2016.
- Michael Tobis (March 13, 2014). "McPherson's Evidence That Doom Doom Doom". Planet3.0. Retrieved July 10, 2016.