Guðlaugur Þór Þórðarson (Icelandic pronunciation: [kvʏðlœiɣʏr̥ θouːr̥ θourðar̥son]; born 19 December 1967) is an Icelandic politician who has been serving as Minister for the Environment, Energy and Climate since 28 November 2021.
Guðlaugur Þór Þórðarson
|Minister for the Environment, Energy and Climate|
|Assumed office |
28 November 2021
|Prime Minister||Katrín Jakobsdóttir|
|Preceded by||Guðmundur Ingi Guðbrandsson|
|Minister for Foreign Affairs|
11 January 2017 – 28 November 2021
|Prime Minister||Bjarni Benediktsson|
|Preceded by||Lilja Dögg Alfreðsdóttir|
|Succeeded by||Þórdís Kolbrún R. Gylfadóttir|
|Minister for Health|
24 May 2007 – 1 February 2009
|Prime Minister||Geir Haarde|
|Preceded by||Siv Friðleifsdóttir (Health and Social Security)|
|Succeeded by||Ögmundur Jónasson|
|Born||19 December 1967|
|Alma mater||University of Iceland|
Early life and educationEdit
Guðlaugur started his involvement in the Independence party in 1987 when he was elected on the board of the National Youth Organisation of the Independence Party in which he served until 1997 of which he was vice chairman 1989–1993 and chairman 1993–1997. He was then elected on the Reykjavík City Council in 1998 and sat two four-year terms there. He sat on the parliamentary committee on welfare issues 2003–2006, the committee on fisheries 2003–2007, and the committee on the environment 2003–2007 (chairman 2004–2007).
Guðlaugur represented Reykjavík North 2003–2009, then switched to Reykjavík South for the 2009 elections before returning to Reykjavík North in 2013, where he has topped the party list for the last three elections. In the party primary in 2006 he defeated then Minister of Justice and Ecclesiastical Affairs Björn Bjarnason for the top spot in Reykjavík North.
He is married and has four children.
- Second Government of Katrín Jakobsdóttir Takes Office, Government of Iceland, 2021
- Guðlaugur Þór Þórðarson, Icelandic Ministry of Foreign Affairs, 2017
- "Utanríkisráðherra: Ísland vill ekki gerast aðili að Evrópusambandinu". Stundin. Retrieved 30 April 2019.
- olofr (23 September 2018). "Getum aðstoðað Breta við mótun fiskveiðistefnu". RÚV. Retrieved 30 April 2019.
- "Varaði við "erlendri einangrunarhyggju"". mbl.is. Retrieved 30 April 2019.
- "Alþjóðasamvinna á Krossgötum: Hvert stefnir Ísland? |". ams.hi.is. Retrieved 30 April 2019.