Great Synagogue (Copenhagen)
The Great Synagogue is the main synagogue of the Jewish community in Copenhagen, Denmark. The synagogue is defined by its unique architecture around the Ark. During the first half of the 19th century, synagogues continued to be built in the classical tradition, but there began to be a revival of Greek and Roman architecture. The Great Synagogue in Copenhagen is one of a few synagogues of its period to use Egyptian elements in the columns, ceiling and cornice over the ark.
The Great Synagogue in 2009
|Architect(s)||Gustav Friedrich Hetsch|
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (February 2015)
World War IIEdit
On 22 July 1985, the synagogue was struck by a bomb placed by Palestinian terrorists. While no people were injured in the attack on the synagogue, a second bomb placed by the same group destroyed the Copenhagen offices of the American Northwest Orient Airlines, killing one person and injuring 26. Several Arabs residing in Europe, among them Mohammed Abu Talb, were later convicted for these and other attacks.
A shooting occurred outside the synagogue on 15 February 2015, killing a Jewish community member, who had been providing security, and wounding two Danish Security and Intelligence Service police officers who were shot in the arms and legs.
- Diana Muir Appelbaum, "Jewish Identity and Egyptian Revival Architecture", Journal of Jewish Identities, 2012 (5) p. 7.
- "27 Injured in 3 Terrorist Explosions in Copenhagen". Los Angeles Times. Associated Press. 22 July 1985. Retrieved 15 February 2015.
- "30 års fængsel for terror i København" [Thirty years prison for terrorism in Copenhagen]. TV 2 (in Danish). Tidningarnas Telegrambyrå. 16 April 2008. Retrieved 15 February 2015.
- "Copenhagen hit by second deadly shooting". BBC News. 15 February 2015. Retrieved 15 February 2015.
- "Shots fired at Copenhagen synagogue: Danish police". Reuters. 14 Feb 2015.
- Ritter, Karl; Adamson, Thomas; Olsen, Jan M. "Denmark on edge as 2nd shooting within hours rocks capital". Associated Press. Retrieved 14 February 2015.
- Stender Pedersen, Mette; Krogh Andersen, Peter (15 February 2015). "Skudoffer ved københavnsk synagoge var en ung jøde" [Copenhagen Synagogue shooting victim was a young Jew]. DR Nyheder (in Danish). Danmarks Radio (DR). Retrieved 15 February 2015.