BoardGameGeek (BGG) is an online forum for board gaming hobbyists and a game database that holds reviews, images and videos for over 125,600 different tabletop games, including European-style board games, wargames, and card games. In addition to the game database, the site allows users to rate games on a 1–10 scale and publishes a ranked list of board games. According to Brett Boge, the website...
- ...consists of a database of more than fifty thousand board games along with their developers and players. The games themselves are heavily linked to the users through lists called GeekLists, along with owned/played/wanted etc. connections, ratings, reviews, session reports and other information (both quantitative and qualitative). The data also contains information regarding the games themselves include genre, number of players, difficulty, length etc.
Since 2005, BoardGameGeek hosts an annual board game convention, BGG.CON, that has a focus on playing games, and where winners of the Golden Geek Awards are announced. New games are showcased and convention staff is provided to teach rules. There is also an annual Spring BGG.CON which is family friendly, and an annual BGG@Sea which is held on a cruise.
In 2010, BoardGameGeek received the Diana Jones Award, which recognized it as "a resource without peer for board and card gamers, the recognized authority of this online community." The New York Times has called BoardGameGeek "the hub of board gaming on the internet."
The site has branched out into other fields by using the same system for RPGs and video games (rpggeek.com and videogamegeek.com).
The Gaming GoatEdit
On September 9th, 2021, BGG moderators permanently locked the accounts of Greg Mahler and The Gaming Goat CEO Jeff Bergen over backlash of a Kickstarter campaign that featured white nationalist dogwhistles. This came after the Kickstarter was launched on the 7th of September, immediately drawing backlash from the board game enthusiast community. A megathread was started on BGG’s forum by verified designer Michael (@thecrazyscotsman) to collect information regarding Mahler, Bergen, and The Gaming Goat, along with BGG’s official response. BGG’s official response acknowledged the ‘history of behavior that directly conflicts with BGG’s community values.’ (@Octavian, 2021)
Users praised BGG for their quick handling of the situation, with many more providing more evidence as detailed in the megathread, which was updated accordingly.
Kick the Table (2013-2021)Edit
On December 15th 2013 BGG launched “The Last Kick” (later named to Kick The Table – A Kickstarter Monitor) a weekly summary of Kickstarter projects for board games. The intent was to help spread visibility and news surrounding board game projects on Kickstarter, a crowdfunding website. It was posted by Mike Minutillo (@codermike).
It was shuttered on February 21st, 2021 after Kickstarter updated its site and made it impossible to track information for these weekly updates (Minutillo, 2021). At its end it had linked to ‘nearly 6,000 campaigns and following links to those campaigns over 3.5 million times’ (Minutillo, 2021). This blog also sported 5,431 subscribers at the time of closing. 
Golden Geek AwardEdit
Since 2006, the site annually awards the best new board games of the year with the Golden Geek Award. Winners are selected based on a vote by registered users.
|Game of the Year||Caylus||Shogun||Agricola||Dominion||Hansa Teutonica||Dominant Species||Eclipse||Terra Mystica||Splendor||Pandemic Legacy: Season 1||Scythe||Gloomhaven||Root||Wingspan||MicroMacro: Crime City (Light GOTY); Lost Ruins of Arnak (Medium GOTY); Gloomhaven: Jaws of the Lion (Heavy GOTY)|
|Best Strategy Game||Caylus||Shogun||Agricola||Le Havre||Hansa Teutonica||Dominant Species||Eclipse||Terra Mystica||Five Tribes||Pandemic Legacy: Season 1||Scythe||Gloomhaven||Brass: Birmingham||Wingspan|
|Best Wargame||Twilight Struggle||Combat Commander: Europe||Hannibal: Rome vs. Carthage||Combat Commander: Pacific||Washington's War||A Few Acres of Snow||Sekigahara: The Unification of Japan||1775: Rebellion||Fire in the Lake||Churchill||Falling Sky: The Gallic Revolt Against Caesar||878 Vikings: Invasions of England||Hannibal & Hamilcar||Undaunted: Normandy||Imperial Struggle|
|Best Children's Board Game||Nacht Der Magier||Zooloretto||Chateau Roquefort||Sorry! Sliders||Forbidden Island||Animal Upon Animal: Balancing Bridge||King of Tokyo||Forbidden Desert||Tales & Games: The Hare & the Tortoise|
|Best 2-Player Board Game||Twilight Struggle||BattleLore oraz Commands & Colors: Ancients||Hannibal: Rome vs. Carthage||Space Hulk (third edition)||Washington's War||A Few Acres of Snow||Android: Netrunner||Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game||Star Realms||7 Wonders Duel||Star Wars: Rebellion||Codenames: Duet||KeyForge: Call of the Archons||Watergate||Undaunted: North Africa|
|Best Family Board Game||Ingenious||Zooloretto||Thebes||Pandemic||Tobago||7 Wonders||King of Tokyo||Love Letter||Splendor||Codenames||Codenames: Pictures||Azul||The Quacks of Quedlinburg||Wingspan|
|Best Party Board Game||Diamant||Wits and Wagers||Say Anything||Time's Up! Deluxe||Telestrations||Dixit Odyssey||King of Tokyo||Love Letter||Cash n' Guns 2nd Ed.||Codenames||Codenames: Pictures||Warewords||The Mind||Wavelength|
|Best Card Game||-||Caylus Magna Carta||Race for the Galaxy||Dominion||Innovation||7 Cudów Świata||Android: Netrunner||Love Letter||Star Realms||7 Wonders Duel||Arkham Horror: The Card Game||Century: Spice Road||The Mind||Wingspan||Dune: Imperium|
|Best Board Game Artwork/Presentation||-||BattleLore||Jamaica||Space Hulk (third edition)||War of the Ring Collector's Edition||Merchants & Marauders||Takenoko||Mice and Mystics||Abyss||Mysterium||Scythe||Photosynthesis||Root||Wingspan||On Mars|
|Best Board Game Expansion||-||-||-||Pandemic: On The Brink||Dominion: Prosperity||Twilight Imperium: Shards of the Throne||Alien Frontiers: Factions||Lords of Waterdeep: Scoundrels of Skullport||7 Wonders: Babel||Ticket to Ride Map Collection: Volume 5 United Kingdom & Pennsylvania||7 Wonders Duel: Pantheon||Scythe: The Wind Gambit||Scythe: The Rise of Fenris||Wingspan: European Expansion||Wingspan: Oceania Expansion|
|Best Print & Play Board Game||-||-||-||Dune Express||Zombie in My Pocket||The Thing||D-Day Dice: Free Trial Version||Tiny Epic Kingdoms & Coin Age||...and then we held hands...||Dune: The dice game||Star Trek: The Dice Game||My Little Scythe||Orchard: A 9 card solitaire game||TINYforming Mars||7 Wonders Duel: Solo|
|Best Innovative Board Game||-||-||-||Space Alert||Catacombs||A Few Acres of Snow||Risk: Legacy||Love Letter||Dead of Winter: A Crossroads Game||Pandemic Legacy: Season 1||Captain Sonar||Gloomhaven||Root||Wingspan||MicroMacro: Crime City|
|Best Thematic Board Game||-||-||-||-||War of the Ring Collector's Edition||Mansions of Madness||Mage Knight Board Game||Robinson Crusoe: Adventure on the Cursed Island||Dead of Winter: A Crossroads Game||Pandemic Legacy: Season 1||Scythe||Gloomhaven||Root||Dune||Gloomhaven: Jaws of the Lion|
|Best Abstract Board Game||-||-||-||-||FITS||Paris Connection||Kingdom Builder||Tash-Kalar: Arena of Legends||Patchwork|
|Best Cooperative Game||Gloomhaven: Jaws of the Lion|
|Best Zoomable Game||Forgotten Waters|
|Best Solo Game||Under Falling Skies|
|Best Podcast||So Very Wrong About Games|
|Best Board Game App||Root (2020)|
- Going Cardboard (documentary)
- Woods, Stewart (2009). Eurogames: The Design, Culture and Play of Modern European Board Games. McFarland. ISBN 978-0786467976.
- "10 most popular board games among Board Game Geek readers". The Mercury News. 2020-12-07. Retrieved 2021-11-23.
- Riese, Monica (2016-09-25). "The 10 best board games for families". The Daily Dot. Archived from the original on 2019-05-26. Retrieved 2016-11-10.
- Roeder, Oliver (2015-01-22). "Stop Playing Monopoly With Your Kids (And Play These Games Instead)". FiveThirtyEight. Archived from the original on 2019-05-26. Retrieved 2016-11-10.
- Anderson, Nate. "Pandemic Legacy is the best board game ever—but is it "fun?"". Ars Technica. Archived from the original on 2021-03-08. Retrieved 2016-11-10.
- Boge, Brett. "A Hybrid Recommender System Using Link Analysis and Genetic Tuning in the Bipartite Network of BoardGameGeek.com" (PDF). www.academia.edu. Department of Computer Science and Engineering University of Nevada, Reno Reno, Nevada: University of Nevada. p. 1. Retrieved 22 July 2021.
- https://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/boardgamegeek.com; retrieved: 10 March 2019.
- Woods, Stewart (2012). Eurogames: The Design, Culture and Play of Modern European Board Games. McFarland. p. 121. ISBN 9780786490653.
- Damerst, Lincoln (20 January 2020). "Happy 20th Anniversary BGG". Board Game Geek. Archived from the original on April 17, 2021. Retrieved 31 January 2020.
- Morgan, Matt. "13 New Tabletop Games for Winter - The Best of BGG Con". The Escapist. Archived from the original on 2018-11-16. Retrieved 2016-11-25.
- "The 2010 Award for Excellence in Gaming". The Diana Jones Award. 23 May 2015. Archived from the original on 2021-03-09. Retrieved 2016-11-10.
- Draper, Kevin (August 1, 2019). "Should Board Gamers Play the Roles of Racists, Slavers and Nazis?". The New York Times. Archived from the original on 24 February 2021. Retrieved 2 August 2019.
- "Academy - Hall of Fame". www.originsawards.net.
- "Role-Playing Games for People Who Don't Like Dungeons & Dragons". Lifehacker. Retrieved 2021-11-23.
- "More designers condemn The Gaming Goat over racist imagery". Dicebreaker. 2021-09-13. Retrieved 2021-10-25.
- "TGG: Negative experiences and controversies | TGG Games". BoardGameGeek. Retrieved 2021-10-25.
- "I have cancelled my pledge after learning more about Gaming Goat/TGG | TGG Games". BoardGameGeek. Retrieved 2021-10-25.
- "Issue #1 - Projects Ending 23/12/2013 | Kick the Table - A Kickstarter Monitor". BoardGameGeek. Retrieved 2021-10-25.
- "Kickstarter Weekly Update - Sunday 21st February, 2021 | Kick the Table - A Kickstarter Monitor". BoardGameGeek. Retrieved 2021-10-25.
- Hall, Charlie (2015-02-13). "The best tabletop RPGs of 2014, finalists from Board Game Geek". Polygon. Archived from the original on 2019-05-26. Retrieved 2016-11-10.
- "Golden Geek Board Game of the Year | Award Category | BoardGameGeek". boardgamegeek.com.
- "BoardGameGeek | Gaming Unplugged Since 2000". boardgamegeek.com.
- "2009 Golden Geek Best Gamer's Board Game Winner | Board Game Honor | BoardGameGeek". boardgamegeek.com.
- "Golden Geek Best Strategy Board Game | Award Category | BoardGameGeek". boardgamegeek.com.
- "Golden Geek Best Wargame | Award Category | BoardGameGeek". boardgamegeek.com.
- "Golden Geek Best Children's Board Game | Award Category | BoardGameGeek". boardgamegeek.com.
- "Golden Geek Best 2-Player Board Game | Award Category | BoardGameGeek". boardgamegeek.com.
- "Golden Geek Best Family Board Game | Award Category | BoardGameGeek". boardgamegeek.com.
- "Golden Geek Best Party Board Game | Award Category | BoardGameGeek". boardgamegeek.com.
- "Golden Geek Best Card Game | Award Category | BoardGameGeek". boardgamegeek.com.
- "Golden Geek Best Board Game Artwork & Presentation | Award Category | BoardGameGeek". boardgamegeek.com.
- "Golden Geek Best Board Game Expansion | Award Category | BoardGameGeek". boardgamegeek.com.
- "Golden Geek Best Print & Play Board Game | Award Category | BoardGameGeek". boardgamegeek.com.
- "Golden Geek Most Innovative Board Game | Award Category | BoardGameGeek". boardgamegeek.com.
- "Golden Geek Best Thematic Board Game | Award Category | BoardGameGeek". boardgamegeek.com.
- "Golden Geek Best Abstract Board Game | Award Category | BoardGameGeek". boardgamegeek.com.