BoardGameGeek (BGG) is an online forum for board gaming hobbyists and a game database that holds reviews, images and videos for over 125,600 different tabletop games, including European-style board games, wargames, and card games. In addition to the game database, the site allows users to rate games on a 1–10 scale and publishes a ranked list of board games. As of 2021, Gloomhaven is its highest rated game.
Since 2006, the site annually awards the best new board games of the year with the Golden Geek Award. Winners are selected based on a vote by registered users.
Since 2005, BoardGameGeek hosts an annual board game convention, BGG.CON, that has a focus on playing games, and where winners of the Golden Geek Awards are announced. New games are showcased and convention staff is provided to teach rules. There is also an annual Spring BGG.CON which is family friendly, and an annual BGG@Sea which is held on a cruise.
In 2010, BoardGameGeek received the Diana Jones Award, which recognized it as "a resource without peer for board and card gamers, the recognized authority of this online community." The New York Times has called BoardGameGeek "the hub of board gaming on the internet."
The site has branched out into other fields by using the same system for RPGs and video games (rpggeek.com and videogamegeek.com).
- Going Cardboard (documentary)
- Woods, Stewart (2009). Eurogames: The Design, Culture and Play of Modern European Board Games. McFarland. ISBN 0786467975.
- Riese, Monica (2016-09-25). "The 10 best board games for families". The Daily Dot. Retrieved 2016-11-10.
- Roeder, Oliver (2015-01-22). "Stop Playing Monopoly With Your Kids (And Play These Games Instead)". FiveThirtyEight. Retrieved 2016-11-10.
- Anderson, Nate. "Pandemic Legacy is the best board game ever—but is it "fun?"". Ars Technica. Retrieved 2016-11-10.
- Woods, Stewart (2012). Eurogames: The Design, Culture and Play of Modern European Board Games. McFarland. p. 121. ISBN 9780786490653 – via Google Books.
- Damerst, Lincoln (20 January 2020). "Happy 20th Anniversary BGG! Jan 20, 2020". BoardGameGeek.com. Retrieved 31 January 2020.
- Hall, Charlie (2015-02-13). "The best tabletop RPGs of 2014, finalists from Board Game Geek". Polygon. Retrieved 2016-11-10.
- Morgan, Matt. "13 New Tabletop Games for Winter - The Best of BGG Con". The Escapist. Retrieved 2016-11-25.
- "The 2010 Award for Excellence in Gaming". The Diana Jones Award. Retrieved 2016-11-10.
- Draper, Kevin (August 1, 2019). "Should Board Gamers Play the Roles of Racists, Slavers and Nazis?". The New York Times. Retrieved 2 August 2019.