Georgi Markov (footballer)
Georgi Slavev Markov (Bulgarian: Георги Славев Марков; 20 January 1972 – 18 February 2018) was a Bulgarian footballer who played as a defender. He was known as a tough, but generally fair tackler, and was nicknamed the "Börner Grater".
|Full name||Georgi Slavev Markov|
|Date of birth||20 January 1972|
|Place of birth||Gotse Delchev, Bulgaria|
|Date of death||February 18, 2018(aged 46)|
|Place of death||Sofia, Bulgaria|
|Height||1.82 m (6 ft 0 in)|
|Playing position||Centre back|
|2002||→ Trabzonspor (loan)||10||(0)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only|
Markov was born in Gotse Delchev, near the border with Greece. His career began at the local club Pirin, but he was only 21 when he moved to the very successful Bulgarian club Botev Plovdiv. He played for Botev in the Bulgarian A PFG between 1993 and 1996.
|1||9 June 1999||Bulgarian Army Stadium, Sofia, Bulgaria||England||1 – 1||1–1||Euro 2000 qualifier|
- Levski Sofia
Health problems and deathEdit
- "GEORGI SLAVEV MARKOV". TFF. Retrieved 2009-08-27.
- Mamrud, Roberto (2009-07-16). "Bulgaria – Record International Players". RSSSF. Retrieved 2009-08-27.
- "България – Англия – статистика". http://www.bgfootball.eu/. Archived from the original on March 6, 2010. Retrieved 2010-03-22.
- "Георги Марков изигра своя бенефис, Левски победи Локомотив София (ОБЗОР)". http://www.focus.sport.net. Retrieved 2011-07-25.
- Почина бившият футболен национал Георги Марков
|This biographical article related to association football in Bulgaria, about a defender, is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|