|Full name||Геннадий Геннадиевич Ковалёв|
|Born||May 17, 1983|
Kropotkin, Krasnodar Krai, Russian SFSR, Soviet Union
|Height||1.73 m (5 ft 8 in)|
|Weight||64 kg (141 lb)|
|Weight class||Light Welterweight|
|Club||Rossiyskiy Sportivnyy Studencheskiy|
Southpaw Kovalev won the silver medal at the 2003 World Amateur Boxing Championships defeating Bahodirjon Sooltonov but losing to Aghasi Mammadov at bantam, and a gold medal at the 2004 European Amateur Boxing Championships .
Now at junior welterweight he won the Russian Championships 2007 against legend Alexander Maletin 37:21. At the World championships he beat Bradley Saunders to reach the finals but lost to defending Kazakh champion Serik Sapiyev 5:20.
After his boxing career, Kovalev has found success as a professional MMA fighter, going 5-1 as a professional.
World amateur championships resultsEdit
2003 (as a bantamweight)
- Defeated Berik Serikbayev (Kazakhstan) 21-6
- Defeated Zsolt Bedák (Hungary) 43-20
- Defeated Khavazi Khatsygov (Bulgaria) 25-14
- Defeated Bahodirjon Sooltonov (Uzbekistan) 21-15
- Lost to Aghasi Mammadov (Azerbaijan) 8-17
2007 (as a Light welterweight)
- Defeated Andrey Tsiruk (Belarus) 33-11
- Defeated Marufjon Fayzuloyev (Tajikistan) 24-10
- Defeated Gyula Kate (Hungary) 22-9
- Defeated Boris Georgiev (Bulgaria) walk-over
- Defeated Bradley Saunders (England) 16-8
- Lost to Serik Sapiyev (Kazakhstan) 5-20
2004 (as a bantamweight)
2008 (as a Light welterweight)
- "Gennady Kovalev". sports.yahoo.com. Yahoo! Sports. Archived from the original on 2011-05-22.
- Evans, Hilary; Gjerde, Arild; Heijmans, Jeroen; Mallon, Bill; et al. "Gennady Kovalyov". Olympics at Sports-Reference.com. Sports Reference LLC. Archived from the original on 2020-04-17.