Gemini Studios was an Indian film studio based in Chennai, Tamil Nadu. It was launched when film producer S. S. Vasan bought a film distribution concern at an auction and renamed it. The new studio opened under the name Gemini (after the astrological sign of his wife and not as a jackpot winning horse as widely believed). The new façade had statues of ‘The Gemini Twins’, blowing the bugle. Gemini Studios served as a breeding ground for innumerable artists and technicians for the south Indian Film Industry. The Gemini twins became a household symbol and the Gemini flyover was named after the original studio at that junction. Gemini Studios is one of the few producers in Tamil cinema to survive beyond 100 productions along with AVM, Modern Theatres, Thenandal Films, etc.
|Founder||S. S. Vasan|
S.S.Vasan bought from his friend K. Subramanyam a Film distribution business Motion Picture Producers' Combines studio on Mount Road for Rs.86,427-11-9,the odd figure arrived at through including the interest on unpaid wages of the employees and it was renamed as Gemini Studios in the year 1940.
- 1941 – Madanakamarajan with the arrival of K. Ramnoth, a cameraman and scenarist, and A.K. Sekhar, art director brought many changes in production.
- 1942 – Jeevana Mukthi is their first film in Telugu language remake of Bhaktha Chetha (1940) of K. Subramanyam.
- 1942 – Nandanar A Tamil film starring M. M. Dandapani Desikar and Serukalathur Sama
- 1943 – Mangamma Sapatham
- 1945 – Kannamma En Kadhali
- 1944 – Dasi Aparanji
- 1947 – Miss Malini
- 1948 – Kalpana. This was Uday Shankar's dance spectacular, shot at the studio, that set the trend for future choreographers.
- 1948 – Chandralekha a magnificent movie by S. S. Vasan that was a first for a Tamil to achieve All India distribution and brought excellent returns.
- 1949 – Apoorva Sahodarargal A `costume adventure` film in three languages – Tamil, Telugu, Hindi, and a major success.
- 1952 – Moondru Pillaigal – Tamil. Made also in Telugu as Mugguru Kodukulu
- 1953 – Avvaiyyar -A Tamil film that proved a major box-office hit.
- 1955 – Insaniyat -A Hindi film starring Dilip Kumar and Dev Anand.
- 1958 – Vanjikottai Valiban and Raj Tilak – A Tamil and Hindi film starring Gemini Ganesan, Vyjayanthimala and Padmini.
- 1959 – Paigham – A Hindi film starring Dilip Kumar, Vyjayanthimala and Raaj Kumar.
- 1965 – Vaazhkai Padagu – A Tamil film starring Gemini Ganesan, Devika
- 1966 – Motor Sundaram Pillai – This was Sivaji Ganesan's sole film for Gemini Studios. After S.S. Vasan's death, his son S.S. Balasubramanyam took the reins.
- 1969 – Manushulu Marali – A Telugu film starring Shoban Babu.
- 1971 – Irulum Oliyum – A Tamil film starring A. V. M. Rajan, Vanisri
- 1975 – Ellorum Nallavare – This was a flop and the studio's fortunes declined in the 70s and it was taken over by Anand Cine Services later.
- "The Hindu : Recalling what Gemini did". Hindujobs.com. 8 July 2002. Archived from the original on 8 July 2012. Retrieved 9 January 2012.
- Jeevanmukthi (1942), blast from the past, M.L.Narasimham, The Hindu, 13 November 2011.
- "Gemini Studio a dream hotel now". The Times of India. 16 May 2002. Archived from the original on 5 February 2009. Retrieved 9 October 2018.
- "The Park Hotel Chennai, The Park Hotel Chennai India, Reservation of The Park Hotel Chennai, Deluxe Hotels in Chennai". Chennaihub.com. Retrieved 9 January 2012.