|Born||September 9, 1982|
|Occupation||Film director, photographer|
|Spouse(s)||Bee Carrozzini (2018-present)|
Carrozzini was born in Monza, Italy. The son of Franca Sozzani, former editor-in-chief of Italian Vogue, he grew up surrounded by actors, musicians and artists. He began taking pictures and making short films with friends in his early teens. In the summer of 1999, he relocated to Los Angeles to study film at the University of California, Los Angeles. He later returned to Italy to study philosophy at the University of Milan before moving to New York City in 2004 to assist photographers such as Bruce Weber and Peter Lindbergh.
Carrozzini's first film job came at age 19, when he directed a 30-second promo for Italian MTV. In 2005, commissioned by advertising agency McCann Erickson, he created a commercial for the 51st Venice Biennale. He traveled to Poland in 2006 to shoot a documentary about the life and creative process of the Polish Theatre Wierszalin. Later that year, he collaborated with The New York Times on the creation of a project that became known as “The New York Times Screen Tests,” a collection of intimate video interviews with entertainment figures that included Natalie Portman, Charlize Theron, and Marion Cotillard. The series received a nomination in the "New Approaches - Daytime Entertainment" category at the 37th Annual Daytime Emmy Awards.
In 2008, Carrozzini directed the short film "1937", a psychological thriller shot in Suite #822 of the infamous Chelsea Hotel, which screened in competition at the Venice Film Festival. In the years since, he has directed commercials for clients such as Apple Music, Fiat 500 and Tommy Hilfiger. In 2009, his Ray Ban viral short "Color Goes Pop" received a Young Director Award nomination at the Cannes Lions International Festival of Creativity.
In 2016, Carrozzini debuted his first feature-length film, a documentary focusing on the life and legacy of his mother entitled Franca: Chaos and Creation. The film, which took Carrozzini roughly six years to complete, highlights the groundbreaking accomplishments of Sozzani's career in fashion publishing while also exploring the more personal relationship between a mother and her son. Franca: Chaos and Creation premiered on September 2, 2016 in the "Cinema Nel Giardino" category at the 73rd Venice International Film Festival and received praise from several prominent members of the fashion industry, with Suzy Menkes describing it as "a powerful personal journey". The film hosted its North American premiere as part of the Hamptons International Film Festival on October 8, 2016 and was featured at AFI Fest in Los Angeles. The film also screened at festivals in Mumbai, Denver, Vancouver, and Palm Springs. In March 2017, the film was honored with a Nastro d'Argento presented by the Italian National Syndicate of Film Journalists. The film was released digitally worldwide across Netflix, Amazon and iTunes on October 1st, 2017.
In April 2017, the first episode of Apple Music's 'Up Next' campaign was released, directed by Carrozzini and featuring 6lack. He also directed the second and third installments, which featured artists Sigrid and Khalid.
He is signed with Alex Mebed and John Garvey at CAA for film and production company Reset Content for commercials.
Carrozzini is also known for his portrait photography; he has photographed a diverse range of contemporary pop culture icons including actors Angelina Jolie, Robert De Niro, Cate Blanchett, and Scarlett Johansson; models Naomi Campbell, Heidi Klum, Linda Evangelista, Milla Jovovich, Stephanie Seymour and Tyra Banks; musicians Beyoncé, Lana Del Rey, Sting, Keith Richards, Kanye West, Jay-Z, and Nicki Minaj, as well as artists Jeff Koons, Richard Prince, Andres Serrano, and Marina Abramović.
He has also worked several political figures; among them, former Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan, former Prime Minister of the United Kingdom Tony Blair, former Pakistani Prime Minister Shaukat Aziz, former United Nations Secretary General Ban Ki-moon, and former New York City mayor Michael Bloomberg.
Carrozzini's images have appeared on the covers and in the pages of: Vanity Fair, The New Yorker, New York Magazine, W, Rolling Stone, L'Uomo Vogue, Vogue Italia and Pop, among others. His advertising client list includes Apple Inc., Estee Lauder, Biotherm, Sony Music, Mini Cooper, Roberto Cavalli, Ermenegildo Zegna, Salvatore Ferragamo, DKNY, Tommy Hilfiger, Levi's, Baume & Mercier and Chopard.
|2015||Marilyn Manson, "The Mephistopheles of Los Angeles"|
|2014||Singtank, "Coming Down"|
|2014||Nicki Minaj, "The Pinkprint Movie (Part II: I Lied)"|
|2014||Damian Marley, "Is It Worth It? (Gunman World)"|
|2014||Lenny Kravitz, "New York City"|
|2014||Lana Del Rey, "Ultraviolence" |
|2013||A$AP Rocky: "Phoenix"|
|2018||X-ray Fashion||Virtual Reality film, VR Competition, 75th International Venice Film Festival|
|2016||Franca: Chaos and Creation||Feature documentary, Official Selection, 73rd International Venice Film Festival|
|2008||The New York Times Screentests||Emmy Award-nominated series|
|2008||1937||Short Film Competition, 65th International Venice Film Festival|
|2007||Wierszalin||Short documentary, Official Selection, 60th International Locarno Film Festival|
- September 2015: Solo photography and film exhibition, "Music", Earth Gallery, Paris
- May 2015: Solo photography exhibition, "Portraits", Istanbul'74 Arts Festival, Istanbul
- January 2012: L'Uomo Vogue cover shots included in Sotheby's charity auction celebrating the magazine, Paris
- May 2010: Solo photography exhibition, "Portraits", Diane Von Furstenberg Gallery, New York
- May 2007: Solo photography exhibition, "Unique Exposure", Galleria Cardi, Milan
- March 2004: Video installation "Pause", Duomo Cathedral, Milan
The Franca Sozzani Fund for Preventive Genomics at HarvardEdit
In 2019 Francesco, joined by Harvard geneticist Robert C. Green and investor D.A. Wallach, launched the "Franca Sozzani Fund for Preventive Genomics"  at Harvard Medical to bring preventive genomics to patients everywhere.
Franca Sozzani, Francesco's mother, made a remarkable impact on global culture during her 28 years as the legendary editor-in-chief of Vogue Italia. And outside of fashion, she was a relentless champion of justice and human progress: a global ambassador against hunger for the United Nations World Food Programme, a supporter of AIDS research, and a chair of the European Institute of Oncology. Franca recognized that fashion and creativity held a unique power to deliver social messages, and in groundbreaking issues of Vogue Italia used beautiful images to explore difficult topics from oil spills to domestic violence.
Tragically, Franca succumbed to a rare cancer in 2016 that might have been prevented with earlier medical surveillance. Such is the case for thousands of patients around the world today who lack access to the proven risk-assessment and diagnostic toolkit that preventive genomics offer.
Extraordinary discoveries in genomics from the past two decades have not yet made it to average patients, remaining largely trapped in a research context in elite academic institutions. Routine medicine today extends to patients a mere sliver of the potential benefits of genetic sequencing, failing to recognize the demonstrated value of full-spectrum sequencing of over 5,000 genes that can predict disease, reproductive, and pharmacological risk in every patient. Misconceptions within the medical community, misrepresentations in the commercial sector, and confusion within governments have all delayed the implementation of these proven technologies and clinical care protocols.
2016 Carrozzini has worked as freelance creative director for brands such as Adidas and Peroni.
2015 Carrozzini has provided creative direction to the Connect4Climate program, a global initiative launched by the World Bank and the Italian Ministry of Environment that seeks to take on the challenge of climate change by promoting solutions and empowering people to act.
- In February 2016, Carrozzini and his team received an award from Global Green acknowledging the achievements for work done at Connect4Climate.
Vanity Fair Best DressedEdit
- In September 2013, Carrozzini was included on Vanity Fair's International Best Dressed List.
- GENIO PARPETUO BUENNALE DI VENEZIA
- Wierszalin (2007), di Francesco Carrozzini - CinemaItaliano.info
- "NYTimes.com/TMagazine - Screen Tests". YouTube. Retrieved 2012-11-29.
- "Natalie Portman - New York Times by Francesco Carrozzini". YouTube. 2008-02-03. Retrieved 2012-11-29.
- NOMINATIONS: 37th Annual Daytime Emmy Awards
- "1937" - 2008 - shorts - filmitalia.org
- Franca: Chaos and Creation
- FROM THE VENICE FILM FESTIVAL, FRANCESCO CARROZZINI TALKS "FRANCA: CHAOS AND CREATION"
- Franca Sozzani: Eternal Vision Of A Creative Mind
- Hamptons International Film Festival Announces Spotlight Films, World Cinema and Shorts Programs
- Silver Ribbon Doc. Special award for Franca. Chaos and Creation
- 'Up Next' is an Apple Music series highlighting new artists
- The House of Peroni NYC Opening with Francesco Carrozzini, Solange Knowles, Vanessa Beecroft, & More
- Francesco Carrozzini To Helm Cattleya’s Jo Nesbo Novel Adaptation ‘Midnight Sun’
- RESET Signs Director Francesco Carrozzini For Worldwide Representation
- Heidi Klum by Francesco Carrozzini
- Linda Evangelista by Francesco Carrozzini
- Milla Jovovich by Francesco Carrozzini
- Lana Del Rey by Francesco Carrozzini
- Keith Richards by Francesco Carrozzini
- Andres Serrano by Francesco Carrozzini
- James Franco and Marina Abromović by Francesco Carrozzini
- Ban Ki-Moon by Francesco Carrozzini
- Michael Bloomberg Covers L'Uomo Vogue
- "Francesco Carrozzini - IMVDb". imvdb.com. Retrieved 27 February 2016.
- "Francesco Carrozzini". francescocarrozzini.com. Retrieved 28 March 2015.
- "Francesco Carrozzini". francescocarrozzini.com. Retrieved 28 March 2015.
- "Francesco Carrozzini - "Music"". earthgallery.paris. Retrieved 20 July 2016.
- "Istanbul '74 & Chopard Present: Francesco Carrozzini's "Portraits"". istanbul74.com. Retrieved 25 July 2016.
- "L'Uomo Vogue on auction". vogue.it.
- "Getting into Character: "Francesco Carrozzini: Portraits"". vanityfair.com.
- "Francesco Carrozzini "Unique Exposure"". artnews.org. Retrieved 22 Oct 2014.
- "Director - Genomes to People". genomes2people.org.
- "An Enduring Legacy From an Editor's Closet". nytimes.com.
- "The Franca Sozzani Fund". genomes2people.org.
- "Action for Climate Empowerment at COP21". connect4climate.org.
- "The 2013 International Best Dressed Poll". vanityfair.com. Retrieved 10 May 2015.