Force One (Mumbai Police)
Force One (Marathi: बळ एक, IAST: Baḷa ēka) is a specialised counter terrorism unit of the Mumbai Police to guard the Mumbai metropolitan area, one of the largest metropolitan areas in the world, formed by Government of Maharashtra on the lines of National Security Guards (NSG). It was formed under Maharashtra Police, as a response to the 2008 Mumbai terror attacks and was commissioned two days before its first anniversary. On the occasion Maharashtra Chief Minister Ashok Chavan also laid the foundation stone of the Force One's headquarters in Mumbai. It was recently announced that one of their primary tasks will be to protect the Maharashtra Legislature as well as several politicians within the state.
|Formed||26 November, 2010|
|Operations jurisdiction||Maharashtra, India|
|Parent agency||Maharashtra Police|
The commandos of Force One are trained at Maharashtra Intelligence Academy, the College of Military Engineering, Pune, and Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO), in the use of sophisticated arms and explosives, and are known for their rapid shooting skills. While the NSG has a regional hub in Mumbai, Force One is expected to be part of the initial response to a terror strike in Mumbai.
In wake of the 2008 Mumbai terror attacks, the Government of Maharashtra decided to form a new, specialised force to tackle terror. It was commissioned on 24 November 2009 on SRPF Ground of suburban Goregaon, Mumbai. The initial training of the unit was made under the help and supervision of Israeli Special Forces (Yamam). After two months of basic training by Israeli specialists, Force One was founded. Force One headquarters is to be spread over 96 acres (390,000 m2) inside the lush green Aarey Milk Colony at Goregaon in northwest Mumbai, and the first batch has 216 elite commandos. At present the post of the chief of Force One lies vacant.
Out of 3,000 applications from the state police force who volunteered to be part of the force - many of whom were part of 26/11 response team - 261 personnel were selected and trained in Pune, apart from the College of Military Engineering and the High Energy Materials Research Laboratory of the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO).
- "26/11: No force in Force One". Ndtv.com. Retrieved 26 November 2010.
- "Eagles have landed". Mid Day. 9 November 2009.
- "First batch of Force One commando out on job in Maharashtra". The Times of India. Mumbai. 15 November 2009.
- "A smart anti-terror force for Mumbai now". The Hindu. Chennai, India. 25 November 2009.
- "Maha's elite counter terror unit Force One becomes operational". Business Standard. New Delhi. 25 November 2009.
- Singh, Vijay V (25 November 2009). "Force One cops can't stand heat?". The Times of India.
- "Part of 26/11 resistance, they've turned commandos at Force One". The Indian Express. 10 November 2009. Archived from the original on 14 October 2012. Retrieved 26 November 2009.
- Our Special Correspondent (18 December 2008). "The Telegraph - Calcutta (Kolkata) | Nation | Force One, state-of-art guns to guard Mumbai". Telegraphindia.com. Retrieved 1 September 2010.
- "Is Force 1 good enough?". Hindustan Times. 10 October 2009. Archived from the original on 10 September 2012. Retrieved 1 September 2010.
- "Force One to get MP5 guns". dnaindia.com. 16 January 2009. Retrieved 24 June 2010.
- Meena Menon (25 November 2009). "A smart anti-terror force for Mumbai now". Chennai, India: The Hindu. Retrieved 5 July 2010.
- "Maha's elite counter terror unit Force One becomes operational". Business Standard. Retrieved 5 July 2010.