Flames of Desire (Korean: 욕망의 불꽃; RR: Yokmangeui Bulkkot; lit. Flames of Ambition) is a South Korean television series starring Shin Eun-kyung, Seo Woo, Yoo Seung-ho, Jo Min-ki, and Lee Soon-jae. It aired on MBC from October 2, 2010 to March 27, 2011 on Saturdays and Sundays at 21:45 for 50 episodes.
|Flames of Desire|
|Also known as||Flames of Ambition|
|Created by||MBC |
|Written by||Jung Ha-yeon|
|Directed by||Baek Ho-min|
|Country of origin||South Korea|
|No. of episodes||50|
|Executive producer||Im Hwamin|
Jincheon KimWontae Oh
|Running time||60 minutes|
|Production companies||Flames of Desire SPC|
Nuruk Production Co.
|Original release||October 2, 2010 –|
March 27, 2011
|Flames of Desire|
|Revised Romanization||Yokmangeui Bulkkot|
|McCune–Reischauer||Yongmang ŭi Pulkkot|
The story of a conglomerate family that falls apart when the members are caught up in a furious battle for succession. Kim Tae-jin's children all covet his fortune and the power that he possesses as the company president, and they would do anything, however cruel and inhumane, to wrest it from the others. At the forefront of this desperate game is Yoon Na-young, the ruthless and ambitious wife of Kim Young-min, Tae-jin's third son. Her unquenchable thirst for power and wealth drove her to the point of no return, manipulating both husband and son to achieve her own desires.
Cast and charactersEdit
- She is a person who hides her evil intentions under her smiling face and have a chameleon sort of personality. Upon seeing how her mother lives her life by giving in, Na-young became more determined to live her life the way she wants. She is the type of person who strongly believes that you have to fight ruthlessly even for your own happiness and for that she made a decision that would later haunt her at her later part of her life. She didn't planned to have Soo-bin as her daughter-in-law in the path that she had paved for her son, Min-jae to walk on.
- She is the hidden daughter of Yoon Na-young who become one of the most famous movie actresses in the nation, thus earning herself the nickname of “Baek Inki” (translated as "Popular Baek"). But as many fans as she has, she has that much anti-fans as well. She is woman running towards success while running away from her past. She managed to marry Min-jae after they were caught in a scandalous position. The destruction of love and fame just seems like a game for her and she believes that winning it all will mean happiness for her.
- The 2nd generation son of a conglomerate family. He is someone with a pure soul. Whenever he feels lonely or is having a hard time, he has a habit of dancing off all his unhappiness and pain until he falls down. He is compassionate towards the woman that he loves despite her ugly past and will even give her a warm hug when she needs it. As the owner of his own fate, he doesn't have to change the way he is even if the secret of his birth is disclosed.
- Jo Min-ki as Kim Young-min
- Joo Han-ha as young Young-min
- The first generation son of a conglomerate family, he is the third son of Kim Tae-jin. His sole wish is to become a college professor but it changed the moment he entered a family-arranged marriage with Yoon Na-young. Although he has the power to oppose his father and live the life he wants, he chose not to leave. Unlike his ambitious wife Na-young, Young-min is a kindhearted man and father who believes that the family must stay united to be strong. Unlike his siblings, he has a deeper understanding and compassion for others, but he finds himself destroyed when the secret of his son's real birthright is revealed.
- Lee Soon-jae as Chairman Kim Tae-jin - He is a self-made tycoon who built his business empire from scratch. A strong charismatic father with three sons and a daughter. The K group Enterprise's Company president finds himself facing another challenge in life as his children fight to become his empire's successor, with the most aggressive person being Yoon Na-young, the wife of his third son who will stop at nothing to push her husband and son to the top of his succession list.
- Kim family
- Lee Hyo-choon as Kang Geum-hwa
- Kim Byung-ki as Kim Young-dae
- Lee Bo-hee as Cha Soon-ja
- Jo Sung-ha as Kim Young-joon
- Sung Hyun-ah as Nam Ae-ri
- Son Eun-seo as Kim Mi-jin
- Kim Seung-hyun as Kim Young-shik
- Baek Jong-min as Kim Sung-jae
- Yoon family
- Extended cast
- Lee Se-chang as Park Duk-sung
- Uhm Soo-jung as Yang In-sook
- Park Chan-hwan as Song Jin-ho
- Kim Sung-hoon as loan shark
- Jeon Se-hong as Jin-sook
Awards and nominationsEdit
|2010||29th MBC Drama Awards||Top Excellence Award, Actress||Won|
|Best Young Actress||Won|
|2011||47th Baeksang Arts Awards||Best Screenplay (Television)||
- Yoon, Hee-seong (December 31, 2010). "2010 10Asia's Awards: Writer & Actor of the Year". 10Asia. Retrieved June 25, 2013.
- "MBC's weekend special drama, Flames of Desire... Yoo Seung-ho, he's falling in love with a Seo Woo". MBC Global Media. November 24, 2010. Retrieved April 20, 2013.
- Lee Ga-on, Lee Seung-han (December 31, 2010). "2010 10Asia's Awards "Thank You" List: Reincarnation of the Year". 10Asia. Retrieved June 25, 2013.
- Hong, Lucia (December 31, 2010). "Kim Nam-joo, Han Hyo-joo win grand prize at MBC Acting Awards". 10Asia. Retrieved April 20, 2013.