Finding Your Feet
Finding Your Feet is a 2017 romantic comedy-drama directed by Richard Loncraine from an original screenplay by Nick Moorcroft and Meg Leonard. The film stars Imelda Staunton, Timothy Spall, Celia Imrie and Joanna Lumley.
|Finding Your Feet|
|Directed by||Richard Loncraine|
|Produced by||Nick Moorcroft
|Written by||Nick Moorcroft
|Music by||Michael J McEvoy|
|Edited by||Johnny Daukes|
Powder Keg Pictures
Catalyst Global Media
|Distributed by||Entertainment One Roadside Attractions|
‘Lady’ Sandra Abbott (Imelda Staunton) discovers that her husband of forty years (John Sessions) is having an affair with her best friend (Josie Lawrence), she seeks refuge in London with her estranged, older sister Bif (Celia Imrie). Sandra is a fish out of water next to her outspoken, serial dating, free spirited sibling who lives on an inner-city council estate. But difference is just what Sandra needs and she reluctantly lets Bif drag her along to a community dance class where she meets her sister's friends, Charlie (Timothy Spall), Jackie (Joanna Lumley) and Ted (David Hayman). This colorful group of defiant and energetic third-agers start to show Sandra that retirement is a beginning, and that divorce could be her new lease of life and love.
The film was announced at the 2016 Cannes Film Festival and started shooting on October 31, 2016, in London and Rome. The film wrapped on December 16, 2016. The film was released nationwide in the United Kingdom and Ireland on February 23, 2018. Roadside Attractions picked up the U.S distribution rights and will release the film theatrically in America on March 30, 2018. Roadside Attractions co-founders Howard Cohen and Eric d’Arbeloff said: "Finding Your Feet is one of Richard Loncraine’s best. It is brilliantly acted and completely endearing, emotional and delightfully charming and funny from start to finish. It is the kind of feel-good, character rich, second chance at life comedy that we absolutely love." The film was sold at the American Film Market on 2 November 2017.
On 20 October 2017, it was announced that Finding Your Feet would open the 35th Torino Film Festival. The director Richard Loncraine, and the actors Timothy Spall and Celia Imrie presented the feature (re-titled Ricomincio da me) at the festival in Turin on 24 November 2017. TFF is the second largest film festival in Italy, following the Venice Film Festival. Finding Your Feet is distributed in Italy by CINEMA owned by veteran film distributor Valerio De Paolis.
It was announced in The Hollywood Reporter on the 15th December, 2017, the film will have its North American premiere at the 29th Palm Springs International Film Festival on January 6, 2018. The film was named as one of the 'best of the fest' and screened again for the public on Monday 15th January 
On review aggregator website Rotten Tomatoes, the film has a fresh approval rating of 75% based on 27 reviews, with an average rating of 5.6/10. Metacritic gave the film a score of 49 out of 100 based on 5 critical reviews, indicating "mixed or average reviews".
Australian film critic Stephen Romei of The Australian awarded the film 4 stars and said "Finding Your Feet is rightly billed as comedy-drama; yet, although it’s full of rib-tickling dialogue, it’s the drama that cuts deep". Mark Kermode reviewed the film favourably on BBC Radio 5 Live. Kevin Maher from The Times said it was "oddly adorable". Andy Lea of The Sunday Express awarded the film 4 stars and said "it’s big-hearted, touching, smartly-written and beautifully performed by a hugely talented cast". Allan Hunter said in The Daily Express that it was "a sentimental tearjerker elevated by a top-notch British cast". Linda Marric from HeyUGuys said the film was "a charming, oft-told tale of second chances in life and love, filled with fine performances." Francesca Rudkin of The New Zealand Herald compared Finding Your Feet to The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel and Calendar Girls and said the film was a charming, if somewhat predictable, crowd-pleaser about embracing life in your later years. Emma Simmonds from The List said "the joie de vivre of these convention-defying pensioners is ultimately irresistible." Louise Keller from Urban Cinefile said "Finding Your Feet may be predictable fare, but it has a heart of solid gold". James Mottram from Total Film said "Its love-in-later-life insights are well-worn, but with Staunton on song, Richard Loncraine's film mines genuine feeling". In another positive review, The Film Blog called Finding Your Feet "A Billy Elliot for Seniors with a meaningful slice of warmth and humour".
- "Timothy Spall, Joanna Lumley, Celia Imrie join Protagonist dance comedy 'Finding Your Feet'". Screendaily.com. Retrieved 2017-03-06.
- Dalya Alberge (2016-09-08). "Finding Your Feet to star Timothy Spall, Joanna Lumley and Imelda Staunton". Standard.co.uk. Retrieved 2017-03-06.
- Lodderhose, Diana (15 May 2016). "Cannes: Imelda Staunton Finds Her 'Feet' (EXCLUSIVE)". Variety.com. Retrieved 2017-03-06.
- Grater, Tom (2016-12-12). "First look: Imelda Staunton, Timothy Spall in UK rom-com | News | Screen". Screendaily.com. Retrieved 2017-03-06.
- Wyche, Elbert (5 October 2017). "Roadside Attractions acquires Richard Loncraine's comedy 'Finding Your Feet'". Screen Daily. Retrieved 3 December 2017.
- Caroli, Clara (19 October 2017). ""Ricomincio da me", una prima mondiale inaugura il 35° Torino Film Festival". Repubblica (in Italian). Retrieved 3 December 2017.
- "Palm Springs Film Festival: Steven Spielberg's 'The Post' to Screen on Opening Night". The Hollywood Reporter. 15 December 2017.
- "Senegalese film wins jury award as best of Palm Springs film festival". Desert Sun. 13 January 2018.
- "Finding Your Feet (2018)". Rotten Tomatoes. Fandango Media. Retrieved March 12, 2018.
- "Finding Your Feet Reviews". Metacritic. CBS Interactive. Retrieved March 1, 2018.
- "Finding Your Feet: film for grown-ups reaches straight to our hearts". The Australian. News Corp Australia. February 17, 2018. Retrieved March 12, 2018.
- on YouTube
- Maher, Kevin (February 23, 2018). "Film review: Finding Your Feet". The Times. Times Newspapers Limited. Retrieved March 12, 2018.
- Lea, Andy (February 25, 2018). "Finding Your Feet film review: A pleasant surprise". The Sunday Express. Express Newspapers. Retrieved March 12, 2018.
- Hunter, Allan (February 23, 2018). "Finding Your Feet review: Imelda Staunton and Celia Imrie steal the show". The Daily Express. Express Newspapers. Retrieved March 12, 2018.
- Marric, Linda (February 21, 2018). "Finding Your Feet Review". HeyUGuys. Retrieved March 12, 2018.
- Rudkin, Francesca (February 22, 2018). "Movie Review: Finding Your Feet". The New Zealand Herald. NZME. Publishing Limited. Retrieved March 12, 2018.
- Simmonds, Emma (February 19, 2018). "Finding Your Feet review – Imelda Staunton goes from country pile to council flat in an amiable later-life comedy". The List. The List Ltd. Retrieved March 12, 2018.
- Keller, Louise (March 11, 2018). "Finding Your Feet". Urban Cinefile. Retrieved March 12, 2018.
- "Finding Your Feet Review". The Film Blog. February 14, 2018. Retrieved March 12, 2018.
- Pond, Steve (14 January 2018). "Palm Springs Film Festival Winners Include 'Finding Your Feet,' 'Skid Row Marathon'". TheWrap. Retrieved 23 February 2018.