David Hayman (born 9 February 1948) is a Scottish film, television and stage actor and director, known for his role as DCS Mike Walker in ITV drama Trial & Retribution, as Jonas Franks in BBC period drama The Paradise and as Brace in the drama Taboo.
Life and careerEdit
This section needs additional citations for verification. (August 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Hayman was born in Bridgeton, Glasgow, Scotland. After studying at the Royal Scottish Academy of Music and Drama in Glasgow, he began his acting career at the Citizens Theatre in the city. At the venue, Hayman played roles such as Hamlet, the lead in Beaumarchais' The Marriage of Figaro and Al Capone. He gained national prominence playing the role of the notorious Barlinnie Prison convict turned sculptor, Jimmy Boyle, in the television film A Sense of Freedom (1981).
After this film for television, Hayman focused on performing character roles rather than the lead. His long list of film credits include appearances supporting Gary Oldman in Sid and Nancy (1986), Bruce Willis in The Jackal (1997), Kevin Spacey in Ordinary Decent Criminal (2000) and Pierce Brosnan in The Tailor of Panama (2001). He also appeared in Hope and Glory (1987), directed by John Boorman, as well as The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas (2008).
Hayman is known for his role as Chief Supt. Michael Walker in Lynda La Plante's long-running crime thriller Trial & Retribution, which ran for twelve series from 1997 to 2009. He has a distinct scar over his left eye, which he chose to use as character makeup, along with a shaved head, for his part in the series.
Hayman has also had success in directing film and TV productions. Silent Scream (1990) is a study of convicts in Barlinnie Prison, examining the life of convicted murderer Larry Winters. The film was entered into the 40th Berlin International Film Festival. Later followed The Hawk (1993), starring Helen Mirren as a woman who begins to suspect that her husband is a serial killer. He was also in The Near Room, a film about child abuse and corruption set in Glasgow.
In 2009, Hayman appeared in an episode of the BBC series Robin Hood. In September 2011, Hayman hosted a documentary reconstructing the unsolved murders of Glasgow serial killer Bible John, who murdered three young woman in the late 1960s. The documentary was named In Search of Bible John, and looked at the evidence which links Peter Tobin to the killings.
On stage, Hayman appeared as Chris in the 2011 production of Eugene O'Neill's Anna Christie at the Donmar Theatre, London. In 2012, he returned to the Citizens Theatre in Glasgow to play the lead in King Lear alongside George Costigan.
Charity work and awardsEdit
Hayman was awarded the City of Glasgow's gold medal in 1992, for outstanding services to the performing arts. In 2001 he founded the humanitarian charity Spirit Aid which is dedicated to children of the world whose lives have been devastated by war, genocide, poverty, abuse or lack of opportunity at home and abroad. Hayman is currently Head of Operations of the charity which undertakes humanitarian relief projects from Kosovo to Guinea-Bissau, Afghanistan, Sri Lanka, Cambodia, Malawi and South Africa.
- Viceroy's House (2017)
- Finding Your Feet (2017)
- Taboo (2017)
- Dartmoor Killing (2015)
- Macbeth (2015)
- New Tricks (2014) TV
- Queen and Country (2014)
- Shetland (2014) TV
- Castles in the Sky (2013)
- The Field of Blood (2013) TV
- Sawney: Flesh Of Man (Horror Film) (2012)
- The Paradise (2012) TV
- Henry IV, Part I (2012) TV
- In Search of Bible John (September 2011) TV
- Top Boy (2011) TV
- Robin Hood: "Lost in Translation" (2009) TV
- Lewis (2009) TV
- Trial & Retribution XII (2009) TV
- Wasted (2008)
- The Promise (2008)
- Trial & Retribution XI (2008) TV
- The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas (2008)
- Flood (2007)
- A Shot in the West (2006)
- Trial & Retribution X: Sins of the Father (2006) TV
- Where the Truth Lies (2005)
- Rag Tale (2005)
- Trial & Retribution IX (2005) TV
- Fuse (2004)
- Gladiatress (2004)
- Trial & Retribution VIII (2004) TV
- Gifted (2003) TV
- De drabbade (2003) TV, "The Affected" (A Swedish TV-series)
- Trial & Retribution VII (2003) TV
- The Wild Dogs (2002)
- The Last Great Wilderness (2002)
- Still Game (2002)
- Trial & Retribution VI (2002) TV
- As the Beast Sleeps (2002) TV
- Trial & Retribution V (2002) TV
- The Tailor of Panama (2001)
- Murder Rooms: The Photographer's Chair (2001) TV
- Vertical Limit (2000)
- Best (2000)
- Last Orders (2000)
- Ordinary Decent Criminal (2000)
- Trial & Retribution IV (2000) TV
- Tough Love (2000) TV
- The Match (1999)
- Trial & Retribution III (1999) TV
- Legionnaire (1998)
- My Name Is Joe (1998)
- Trial & Retribution II (1998) TV
- Getting Hurt (1998) TV
- The Boxer (1997)
- The Jackal (1997)
- Regeneration (1997)
- Twin Town (1997)
- Smilla's Sense of Snow (1997)
- Friendly Voices (1997)
- Trial & Retribution (1997) TV
- The Near Room (1995)
- Rob Roy (1995)
- The Short Walk (1995)
- Ghosts (1995): "I'll Be Watching You" TV
- Finney (1994) TV
- Between the Lines: "Manslaughter" (1993) TV
- Grave Secrets: The Legacy of Hilltop Drive (1992) TV
- Underbelly (1992) TV
- Venus Peter (1989)
- Walker (1987)
- Hope and Glory (1987)
- Sid and Nancy (1986)
- Murphy's Law (1986)
- Heavenly Pursuits (1985)
- Fell Tiger (1985) TV
- Reilly: The Ace of Spies (1983) TV
- It'll All Be Over in Half an Hour (1983) TV
- Love Story: Mr. Right (1983) TV
- Coming Out of the Ice (1982) TV
- Fame Is the Spur (1982) TV
- Ill Fares The Land (1982)
- Eye of the Needle (1981)
- Enemy at the Door (1980)
- A Sense of Freedom (1979)
- Scotch & Wry (1978) TV
- The Eagle of the Ninth (1977) TV
- Just Your Luck (1972) TV
- Harbour Lights (1999) TV
- The Near Room (1995)
- Finney (1994) TV
- Cardiac Arrest (1994) TV
- The Hawk (1993)
- A Woman's Guide to Adultery (1993) TV
- Black and Blue (1992) TV
- Firm Friends (1992) TV
- Silent Scream (1990)
- Clydebuilt: The Ships That Made The Commonwealth (documentary series) (2014) TV
- Scotland's War at Sea (documentary series) (2016) TV
- "Berlinale: 1990 Programme". berlinale.de. Retrieved 20 March 2011.
- "Cast confirmed for BBC Two's cycle of Shakespeare films" (Press release). BBC Drama Publicity. 24 November 2011. Archived from the original on 30 December 2011. Retrieved 20 July 2012.
- Spencer, Charles (10 August 2011). "Anna Christie, Donmar Warehouse". The Daily Telegraph. Retrieved 26 August 2011.
- "Preview of 2012 – King Lear". The List. 6 January 2012.
- "War at Sea Scotland's story ;The dreadnoughts of Scapa Flow". BBC Two. 12 July 2016.
- Biodata, ButeHighlandGames.org; accessed 30 August 2017.
- "Dartmoor Killing (2015)". IMDb Pro. 28 September 2014. Retrieved 30 September 2015.
- "Macbeth (2015)". IMDb Pro. 6 April 2014. Retrieved 22 April 2014.
- "BBC One – Shetland, Series 2, Dead Water – Part 1". BBC One. 25 March 2014. Retrieved 22 April 2014.