Festival de Baía das Gatas
The Festival de Baía das Gatas or the Baía das Gatas Festival and the Baía das Gatas Music Festival takes place on a full moon weekend in August in Baía das Gatas, a village and a bay in the northeastern part of the island of São Vicente, Cape Verde. It is the most popular music festival in Cape Verde and are likely being the first, in its early years, it was the only music festival in the country until the Festival de Gamboa which was established in 1992 in Praia in the island of Santiago. It is nicknamed the Woodstock of Africa.
The festival was created in 1984 by musician and composer Vasco Martins and his friends, it was done at a budget of 180 million escudos and equipment limited to 150 watts., also it was founded by Djô d'Eloy whose actual name was José Rodrigues Silva In the first year, musicians came from Mindelo, it would draw people from other islands in Cape Verde and the diaspora. In the 1990s, foreigners and outsiders would visit the festival. Since that time, the budget has increased twenty times and more than 15,000 people took part each year. The most popular guest was Cesária Évora, native of the island, the greatest contributor to the event. Manuel de Novas appeared several times, his most notable was in 2003. The 28th edition held in 2012 had several artists including Val and his son Roberto singing songs in memory of Cesária Évora, the greatest Cape Verdean singer.
In 2004, a documentary film directed by Alexis Tsafas titled The Music Cape was released and is about the music festival that went in Baia das Gatas up to 2004.
Music events are complemented with horse racing, water sports and dances and the election of "Miss Baía".
The following is a list of selected festival that featured famous musicians:
- Africultures, no. 26, March 2000, p. 63
- Requedaz and Delucchi 2011, pp. 299 harvnb error: no target: CITEREFRequedaz_and_Delucchi2011 (help)
- Monteiro 1998, p. 111
- "Homenagem a Manuel de Novas na Baía das Gatas" [Hommage to Manuel de Novas at Baía das Gatas] (in Portuguese). Cabo Verde Online. August 2003. Archived from the original on 2008-02-19.
- "28° edição do festival conheca o cartaz". SAPO CV (in Portuguese). Archived from the original on 2013-04-28. Retrieved 2017-01-24.
- "Festival da Baía das Gatas: Um dia memorável no reencontro dos Livity". Inforpress (in Portuguese). 5 August 2007. Archived from the original on 28 September 2007.