This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2015)
The Far North is a large region of South Australia close to the Northern Territory border. Colloquial usage of the term in South Australia refers to that part of South Australia north of a line roughly from Ceduna through Port Augusta to Broken Hill.[according to whom?] The South Australian Government defines the Far North region similarly with the exception of the Maralinga Tjarutja Lands. the Yalata Aboriginal community and other unincorporated crown lands in the state's far west, which are officially considered part of the Eyre and Western region.
|Population||27,727 (2016 census[note 1])|
|• Density||0.0397813/km2 (0.1030331/sq mi)|
|Footnotes||Map of adjoining regions|
The Far North includes the following local government areas: Anangu Pitjantjatjara Yankunytjatjara (APY), City of Port Augusta, District Council of Coober Pedy, Flinders Ranges Council and Municipal Council of Roxby Downs. As most of its extent lies within of what is known as the unincorporated area, municipal services to communities outside of the above listed local government areas are provided directly by the South Australian Government via the Outback Communities Authority. It is within the extent of the state electoral districts of Giles and Stuart, and the Federal Division of Grey.
Travelling in outback South Australia can be very exciting.
The scenery is breathtaking, the wildlife unique and the flora exquisite.
It can also be deadly if you don't plan adequately.
– Information provided by the Outback Communities Authority
- "2016 Census QuickStats: Unincorporated SA". Australian Bureau of Statistics. October 2020. Retrieved 6 March 2021.
For other localities, use the QuickStats Search facility.
- "Welcome to the Outback Communities Authority". Outback Communities Authority. 2021. Retrieved 6 March 2021.
- "District of Giles Background Profile". Electoral Commission of South Australia. Retrieved 20 August 2015.
- "District of Stuart Background Profile". Electoral Commission of South Australia. Retrieved 20 August 2015.
- "Federal electoral division of Grey, boundary gazetted 16 December 2011" (PDF). Australian Electoral Commission. Retrieved 20 August 2015.
- "Far North: South Australian Government Regions" (PDF). Government of South Australia, Department of Planning and Local Government. 2010. Retrieved 7 March 2021.
- "NatureMaps Spatial Browser". Government of South Australia. Archived from the original on 1 September 2007.
- "Regional Development Australia Far North" (PDF). South Australian Centre for Economic Studies. 2012. pp. 1–3. Retrieved 7 March 2021.
- (1975) Far North of South Australia : tourist development survey / Tourist Development Branch, Dept. of Tourism, Recreation & Sport (Tourist Bureau Division) South Australia. Dept. of Tourism, Recreation and Sport. Tourist Development Branch [Adelaide, S.A.] : Tourist Development Branch, Dept. of Tourism, Recreation & Sport (Tourist Bureau Division), 1975.
- (1993) Witjira National Park draft management plan, Far North, South Australia / Department of Environment and Natural Resources South Australia. Dept. of Environment and Natural Resources. Prepared by the South Australian Department of Environment and Natural Resources and Irrwanyere Aboriginal Corporation.
- "Travelling in the Outback" (PDF). Outback Communities Authority. 2021. Retrieved 6 March 2021.