Evan Thomas Spiegel (born June 4, 1990) is the co-founder and CEO of the American multinational technology and social media company Snap Inc., which he created (as Snapchat Inc.) with Bobby Murphy and Reggie Brown while they were students at Stanford University. Spiegel was named the youngest billionaire in the world in 2015.
Spiegel in November 2013
|Born||Evan Thomas Spiegel
June 4, 1990
Los Angeles, California, U.S.
|Residence||Brentwood, Los Angeles, California, U.S.|
|Education||Crossroads School for Arts and Sciences|
|Alma mater||Stanford University|
|Known for||Co-founder of Snap Inc.|
|Net worth||US$4.3 billion (February 2018)|
|Title||CEO of Snap Inc.|
|Spouse(s)||Miranda Kerr (m. 2017)|
Early life and educationEdit
Evan was born in Los Angeles, California, to John W. Spiegel and Melissa Ann Thomas, both lawyers. Spiegel grew up in Pacific Palisades, California, where he was raised Episcopalian. He was educated at the Crossroads School for Arts and Sciences in Santa Monica, and attended Stanford University.
Spiegel took design classes at the Otis College of Art and Design while still in high school and at the Art Center College of Design in Pasadena the summer before entering Stanford. He also had an unpaid internship in sales at Red Bull. While a student, he worked as a paid intern for a biomedical company, as a careers instructor in Cape Town, South Africa, and at Intuit on the TxtWeb project. Spiegel was a member of the Kappa Sigma fraternity.
In 2012, Evan left Stanford to focus on Snapchat shortly before completing his degree. While studying product design at Stanford he proposed Snapchat as a product design class project, an idea which his classmates ridiculed. Spiegel co-founded the mobile application Snapchat along with Bobby Murphy and Reggie Brown. He is the Founder and CEO of Snap, Inc.
The Wall Street Journal has reported that after the predicted March 2017 IPO for Snap Inc., Murphy and Spiegel would hold over "70% of the voting power" in the company, and own around 45% of the total stock.
Spiegel began dating model Miranda Kerr in 2015. The two first met each other at a Louis Vuitton dinner in New York in 2014. They became engaged on July 20, 2016. They married in a private ceremony in Los Angeles on May 27, 2017. Just a month before Evan got engaged to Miranda, he purchased a 7,164 square feet, $12 million house that was previously owned by the American actor and film producer Harrison Ford.
Kerr described Spiegel as "very traditional" and said that he believes in sex after marriage. In November 2017, Kerr announced that she and Spiegel are expecting their first child. On May 7, 2018, Miranda gave birth to their son Hart Kerr Spiegel, named after Spiegel's grandfather.
- Ross, Martha (May 30, 2017). "Evan Spiegel and Miranda Kerr, now married, can have sex". East Bay Times. Retrieved May 9, 2018.
- "Evan Spiegel profile". Forbes. Retrieved March 28, 2017.
- Van Grove, Jennifer (November 26, 2013). "Snapchat's Evan Spiegel: Saying no to $3B, and feeling lucky". CNET.
- "The World's Youngest Billionaires 2015: 46 Under 40".
- "StartupBook » Curated News and Advice for Entrepreneurs » 24-Year Old Snapchat Co-Founder Probably Threw The Best Parties Ever In High School". StartupBook.
- Gene Maddaus. "Snapchat Went From Frat Boy Dream to Tech World Darling. But Will it Last?". L.A. Weekly.
- "5 Facts About Evan Spiegel, Snapchat's Often Controversial Co-Founder". Entrepreneur.com. Retrieved 2016-06-03.
- Matthews, Natalie (November 14, 2013). "Finally, a Tech CEO With Style: A Closer Look at Snapchat's Evan Spiegel". Elle.
- "Evan Spiegel". CrunchBase. Retrieved December 10, 2013.
- Colao, J.J. (November 27, 2012). "Snapchat: The Biggest No-Revenue Mobile App Since Instagram". Forbes. Retrieved 2015-12-31.
- MacMillan, Douglas (November 20, 2013). "Snapchat CEO: 70% of Users Are Women". Wall Street Journal. Retrieved 2015-12-31.
- Farrell, Maureen (January 20, 2017), Snapchat Parent Plans to Pay Banks 2.5% of IPO Proceeds, New York: The Wall Street Journal, retrieved January 22, 2017
- Taylor, Harriet (2017-02-02). "Snap co-founders create Snap Foundation to support non-profits". CNBC. Retrieved 2017-02-24.
- Velazco, Chris (February 2, 2017). "Snap Inc, Quietley created A Foundation to support arts and education". engadget. Rochester, New York. Retrieved March 3, 2017.
- "Miranda Kerr introduces beau to parents". Thespec.com. 2015-08-15. Retrieved 2015-12-31.
- "Miranda Kerr introduces boyfriend to her parents – The West Australian". Yahoo! News. 2015-08-17. Retrieved 2015-12-31.
- "Snaps And Chats By Evan Spiegel". Eyerys.com. Retrieved 2015-12-31.
- Christie D'Zurilla, Model Miranda Kerr engaged to Snapchat co-founder Evan Spiegel, Los Angeles Times, July 20, 2016.
- Biz Carson, Meet LA's newest power couple: Snapchat CEO Evan Spiegel and supermodel Miranda Kerr profile, Business Insider, July 20, 2016.
- Desantis, Rachel (May 28, 2017). "Miranda Kerr weds Snapchat CEO Evan Spiegel". Daily News. New York. Retrieved May 28, 2017.
- Green, Dennis (10 May 2016). "Snapchat CEO Evan Spiegel and model Miranda Kerr just bought a $12 million home together".
- "Miranda Kerr weds Snapchat CEO Evan Spiegel".
- "Miranda Kerr and Evan Spiegel Are Reportedly Expecting Their First Child Together". Vogue. Retrieved 2018-01-11.
- "Miranda Kerr and Evan Spiegel Welcome 'Beautiful' Son Hart: 'Words Cannot Explain How Happy We Are'". People. May 7, 2018.
- "Miranda Kerr Gives Birth to Baby No. 2!". Yahoo!. May 9, 2018.
- Forbes 400 2016: Youngest Forbes. Retrieved December 20, 2016
- "Berggruen Institute".
- "The WorldPost".
- Benner, Katie. "Snap's Chief Taps Into the 'Right Now'", New York Times, February 1, 2017. "Mr. Spiegel has also involved himself in some political conversations. In 2015, he met with China’s president, Xi Jinping, as a member of the 21st Century Council at the Berggruen Institute. Its founder, Nicolas Berggruen, said he impressed a group that includes Mohamed El-Erian, the economist, and former President Nicolas Sarkozy of France with his 'thoughtful and mature approach to people.'"