Eric Lance Lauer (born June 3, 1995) is an American professional baseball pitcher for the San Diego Padres of Major League Baseball (MLB). He played college baseball for the Kent State Golden Flashes of Kent State University.
|San Diego Padres – No. 46|
|Born: June 3, 1995|
|April 24, 2018, for the San Diego Padres|
|MLB statistics |
(through May 22, 2019)
|Earned run average||4.46|
Lauer was born and raised in Elyria, Ohio. He attended Midview High School in Grafton, Ohio, where he was a member of the National Honor Society. Lauer took college courses at Lorain County Community College while still in high school.
At Midview, Lauer for the baseball team as a pitcher and first baseman. He received attention from Major League Baseball (MLB) scouts as a result of his 91 miles per hour (146 km/h) fastball. He decided to commit to play college baseball for the University of Kentucky, but he rescinded the decision and committed to Kent State University. As a senior, Lauer pitched to a 7–0 win-loss record and a 0.15 earned run average (ERA), allowing one earned run in 47 innings pitched, while striking out 96 and allowing 12 hits and eight walks. The Cleveland Plain Dealer named Lauer their player of the year for 2013, and he was named Lorain County's Mr. Baseball.
The Toronto Blue Jays selected Lauer in the 17th round of the 2013 MLB draft. Lauer turned down a signing bonus in excess of $1 million to attend college. Playing for the Kent State Golden Flashes, Lauer had a 5–4 win-loss record, a 1.98 ERA, and 103 strikeouts in 2015, in his sophomore year. During the summer, Lauer pitched for the Orleans Firebirds in the Cape Cod Baseball League. He finished his junior year with a 0.69 ERA, the lowest in college baseball since 1979. He won the National Pitcher of the Year Award.
The San Diego Padres selected Lauer in the first round, with the 25th overall selection, of the 2016 MLB draft. He signed with the Padres, receiving a $2 million signing bonus. Lauer made his professional debut with the Arizona Padres of the Rookie-level Arizona League, and received promotions to the Tri-City Dust Devils of the Class A-Short Season Northwest League and the Fort Wayne TinCaps of the Class A Midwest League. He finished the 2016 season with a 1–1 record and 2.03 ERA. He also had 37 strikeouts in 31 innings pitched.
Lauer began the 2017 season with the Lake Elsinore Storm of the Class A-Advanced California League. He pitched to a 2–5 record and a 2.79 ERA with 84 strikeouts in 67 2⁄3 innings, and was promoted to the San Antonio Missions of the Class AA Texas League in July. In 10 games (nine starts) for the Missions, he was 4–3 with a 3.93 ERA.
Lauer was promoted to the major leagues on April 24. He made his debut the same day, pitching three innings against the Colorado Rockies, yielding six earned runs on six hits and four walks in three innings. He was 6-7 in 23 starts for the Padres with a 4.34 ERA, striking out 100 in 112 innings. He led the major leagues in pickoffs, with 10, while giving up only five stolen bases with two caught stealing.
- Paul Kiska; newsnet5.com. "Pitcher at Grafton's Midview High School Eric Lauer draws big-league scouts, throws 94 mph fastball". newsnet5. Retrieved May 19, 2016.
- Rogers, Tim (July 5, 2013). "Midview's Eric Lauer headlines Plain Dealer High School All-Star Baseball Team for 2013". cleveland.com. Retrieved May 19, 2016.
- "Midview left-hander Lauer commits to play for Kentucky". cleveland.com. Retrieved May 19, 2016.
- "Baseball: Midview's Eric Lauer could go fast in MLB draft – Chronicle-Telegram". Chronicle-Telegram. Retrieved May 19, 2016.
- "Mr. Baseball 2013: Midview's Eric Lauer has tremendous talent; plenty of options, too – Chronicle-Telegram". Chronicle-Telegram. Retrieved May 19, 2016.
- "Midview's Eric Lauer drafted by Toronto Blue Jays". The Morning Journal. Retrieved May 19, 2016.
- "Kent State star pitcher Eric Lauer has stuck to his plan – and unmatched success has followed". The Record-Courier. Retrieved May 19, 2016.
- "Midview graduate Eric Lauer stars in Cape Cod". The Morning Journal. Retrieved May 19, 2016.
- "Kent State and Midview graduate Eric Lauer sees no reason to fret about his MLB Draft status following super season". North Coast Now. June 9, 2016. Retrieved June 15, 2016.
- "Lauer Honored as Pitcher of the Year at HOF's Annual Night of Champions". kentstatesports.com. Kent State Golden Flashes. July 5, 2016. Retrieved August 18, 2016.
- "Padres draft Sanchez, Lauer with Nos. 24–25 picks". The San Diego Union-Tribune. June 9, 2016. Retrieved June 15, 2016.
- "Padres sign Draft pick Mason Thompson". MLB.com. Retrieved June 15, 2016.
- Sanders, Jeff (July 9, 2016). "Minors: Lauer takes loss in pro debut: Recapping the previous day of action for the Padres' minor league affiliates". The San Diego Union-Tribune. Retrieved September 12, 2016.
- Avallone, Michael (August 22, 2016). "Lauer nabs first career win for Dust Devils: Padres' No. 9 prospect produces fifth scoreless start in six outings". MiLB.com. Retrieved September 12, 2016.
- Kenyon, David (September 2, 2016). "TinCaps top Loons in Eric Lauer's Fort Wayne debut". WANE-TV. TinCaps Media Relations. Retrieved September 12, 2016.
- "Eric Lauer Stats, Highlights, Bio | MiLB.com Stats | The Official Site of Minor League Baseball". Milb.com. Retrieved April 16, 2018.
- "Padres' Eric Lauer thriving in first full year in pro ball". The San Diego Union-Tribune. July 15, 2017. Retrieved April 16, 2018.
- Avallone, Michael (April 15, 2018). "Lauer deals all aces in scoreless outing". MiLB.com. Retrieved April 16, 2018.
- Acee, Kevin (April 24, 2018). "Eric Lauer next prospect up for Padres". San Diego Union Tribune. Retrieved April 25, 2018.
- Cassavell, A. J. (April 23, 2018). "Lauer draws Coors Field start for MLB debut". MLB.com. Retrieved April 26, 2018.
- Cassavell, A. J. (April 24, 2018). "Prospect Lauer knocked around in MLB debut". MLB.com. Retrieved April 26, 2018.
- 2018 Major League Baseball Baserunning/Situ | Baseball-Reference.com