Zachary Ryan Davies (born February 7, 1993) is an American professional baseball pitcher for the Milwaukee Brewers of Major League Baseball (MLB). The Baltimore Orioles selected him in the 2011 MLB draft. Davies appeared in the All-Star Futures Game in 2015, and later that year was traded to the Brewers. He made his MLB debut in 2015.
Davies in 2017
|Milwaukee Brewers – No. 27|
|Born: February 7, 1993|
|September 2, 2015, for the Milwaukee Brewers|
|MLB statistics |
(through September 21, 2019)
|Earned run average||3.93|
Davies attended Mesquite High School in Gilbert, Arizona. He played for the school's baseball team as a middle infielder, becoming a pitcher in his junior year. The Baltimore Orioles selected Davies in the 26th round of the 2011 MLB draft. Davies signed with the Orioles, forgoing his commitment to Arizona State University for a $575,000 signing bonus.
Davies made his professional debut with the Delmarva Shorebirds of the Class A South Atlantic League in 2012, where he pitched to a 3.86 earned run average (ERA). He had a 3.69 ERA for the Frederick Keys of the Class A-Advanced Carolina League in 2013. In 2014, he pitched for the Bowie Baysox of the Class AA Eastern League. For Bowie, Davies pitched to a 3.35 ERA. He represented the Orioles in the Arizona Fall League after the regular season. Davies began the 2015 season with the Norfolk Tides of the Class AAA International League, and was chosen to represent the Orioles at the 2015 All-Star Futures Game. With Norfolk, Davies pitched to a 2.84 ERA in 19 games.
On July 31, 2015, the Orioles traded Davies to the Milwaukee Brewers for Gerardo Parra. The Brewers assigned Davies to the Colorado Springs Sky Sox of the Class AAA Pacific Coast League, and promoted him to make his major league debut on September 2. He recently has been working on a four seam fastball which typically maxes out at around 94–95. He also had a slider in the 2015–2016 season which was about 91 mph.
Davies has a three pitch repertoire featuring a two-seam fastball, a curveball, and a changeup. His fastball typically is around 87-90 MPH with great sinking movement. His changeup is widely considered his best pitch, as it is thrown deceptively and has a very sharp downward break as it approaches the batter. His pinpoint control is also a strength and should become more consistent with experience.
Davies married longtime girlfriend Megan White on December 3, 2016.
- "Mesquite's Davies continues to impress in Futures Game". East Valley Tribune. Retrieved July 31, 2015.
- "Mesquite pitcher, ASU commit Zach Davies goes pro – Varsity Xtra". East Valley Tribune. Retrieved October 27, 2014.
- Melewski, Steve (July 31, 2015). "A look at Zach Davies and a take on Gerardo Parra (Davies quote)". MASN. Retrieved August 1, 2015.
- "Davies extends scoreless streak to 19 innings". Baltimore Orioles. Retrieved October 27, 2014.
- "Baltimore Orioles prospect Zach Davies hurls third straight scoreless start for Bowie Baysox – MiLB.com News – The Official Site of Minor League Baseball". MiLB.com. Retrieved October 27, 2014.
- "Bowie Baysox pitcher Zach Davies defying baseball conventions with rapid rise". Capital Gazette. August 23, 2014. Retrieved October 27, 2014.
- Baltimore Sun (April 13, 2015). "Left-hander Zach Davies shines in first Triple-A start; other Norfolk arms struggle in 2015 debuts – Baltimore Sun". baltimoresun.com. Retrieved July 9, 2015.
- "Zach Davies to represent O's at Futures Game". MLB.com. Retrieved July 9, 2015.
- "Tides' Davies to play in prestigious minor-league showcase". The Virginian-Pilot. Retrieved July 31, 2015.
- "Baltimore Orioles get Gerardo Parra from Milwaukee Brewers in exchange for pitching prospect Zach Davies". ESPN.com. Retrieved July 31, 2015.
- Haudricourt, Tom (September 1, 2015). "Zach Davies didn't let small size stop him". Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. Retrieved September 2, 2015.
- "Brewlyweds: Nelson, Davies Celebrate Offseason Weddings". Cait Covers The Bases. Retrieved December 21, 2017.