Zachary Ryan Davies (born February 7, 1993) is an American professional baseball pitcher for the Arizona Diamondbacks of Major League Baseball (MLB). He has previously played in MLB for the Milwaukee Brewers, San Diego Padres and Chicago Cubs.
|Arizona Diamondbacks – No. 27|
|Born: February 7, 1993|
|September 2, 2015, for the Milwaukee Brewers|
|MLB statistics |
(through May 18, 2022)
|Earned run average||4.15|
|Career highlights and awards|
The Baltimore Orioles selected Davies in the 26th round of the 2011 MLB draft. Davies appeared in the All-Star Futures Game in 2015, and later that year was traded to the Brewers. He made his MLB debut for Milwaukee in 2015, and was traded to the Padres after the 2019 season. The Padres traded Davies to the Cubs after the 2020 season.
Davies grew up near Seattle before moving to Arizona when he was seven, where he attended Mesquite High School, in Gilbert, Arizona. He played for the school's baseball team initially as a middle infielder, becoming a pitcher in his junior year.
Davies made his professional debut with the Delmarva Shorebirds of the Class A South Atlantic League in 2012, where he pitched to a 3.86 earned run average (ERA). He had a 3.69 ERA for the Frederick Keys of the Class A-Advanced Carolina League in 2013. In 2014, he pitched for the Bowie Baysox of the Class AA Eastern League. For Bowie, Davies pitched to a 3.35 ERA. He represented the Orioles in the Arizona Fall League after the regular season. Davies began the 2015 season with the Norfolk Tides of the Class AAA International League, and was chosen to represent the Orioles at the 2015 All-Star Futures Game. With Norfolk, Davies pitched to a 2.84 ERA in 19 games.
On July 31, 2015, the Orioles traded Davies to the Milwaukee Brewers for Gerardo Parra. The Brewers assigned Davies to the Colorado Springs Sky Sox of the Class AAA Pacific Coast League, with whom he was 1–2 with a 5.00 ERA, and promoted him to make his major league debut on September 2. In 2016 with Milwaukee, Davies pitched to a 3.97 ERA in 28 games. In 2017, Davies carried a 3.90 ERA in 33 games.
In 2018, Davies pitched in 13 games for the Brewers, and was 2–7 with a 4.77 ERA, as with three minor league teams he was 2–4 with a 4.40 ERA. In 2019, Davies had a 3.55 ERA in 31 games for Milwaukee.
San Diego PadresEdit
On December 29, 2020, the San Diego Padres traded Davies, along with four prospects, to the Cubs in exchange for pitcher Yu Darvish and catcher Víctor Caratini. On June 24, 2021, Davies pitched a combined no-hitter against the Los Angeles Dodgers along with Ryan Tepera, Andrew Chafin, and Craig Kimbrel. He was named a finalist for the 2021 NL Gold Glove Award at pitcher, but it was won by Max Fried. Davies elected free agency following the season.
Davies married longtime girlfriend Megan White on December 3, 2016.
- "Get to Know: Brewers pitcher Zach Davies". www.jsonline.com. Retrieved January 24, 2022.
- "Mesquite's Davies continues to impress in Futures Game". East Valley Tribune. Retrieved July 31, 2015.
- "Mesquite pitcher, ASU commit Zach Davies goes pro – Varsity Xtra". East Valley Tribune. Retrieved October 27, 2014.
- Melewski, Steve (July 31, 2015). "A look at Zach Davies and a take on Gerardo Parra (Davies quote)". MASN. Retrieved August 1, 2015.
- "Davies extends scoreless streak to 19 innings". Baltimore Orioles. Retrieved October 27, 2014.
- "Baltimore Orioles prospect Zach Davies hurls third straight scoreless start for Bowie Baysox – MiLB.com News – The Official Site of Minor League Baseball". MiLB.com. Retrieved October 27, 2014.
- "Bowie Baysox pitcher Zach Davies defying baseball conventions with rapid rise". Capital Gazette. August 23, 2014. Retrieved October 27, 2014.
- Baltimore Sun (April 13, 2015). "Left-hander Zach Davies shines in first Triple-A start; other Norfolk arms struggle in 2015 debuts". baltimoresun.com. Retrieved July 9, 2015.
- "Zach Davies to represent O's at Futures Game". MLB.com. Retrieved July 9, 2015.
- "Tides' Davies to play in prestigious minor-league showcase". The Virginian-Pilot. Retrieved July 31, 2015.
- "Baltimore Orioles get Gerardo Parra from Milwaukee Brewers in exchange for pitching prospect Zach Davies". ESPN.com. July 31, 2015. Retrieved July 31, 2015.
- "Zach Davies Minor & Fall Leagues Statistics & History". Baseball-Reference.com.
- Haudricourt, Tom (September 1, 2015). "Zach Davies didn't let small size stop him". Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. Retrieved September 2, 2015.
- Adam McCalvy (November 27, 2019). "Crew acquires Urias, Lauer in deal with Padres". MLB.com. Retrieved November 27, 2019.
- "Zach Davies Stats". Baseball-Reference.com.
- "Cubs keep 'eye on the future' with Yu trade". MLB.com. December 30, 2020.
- Garcia, Megan (June 25, 2021). "Cubs combine to throw record-tying no-hitter". MLB.com. Retrieved June 25, 2021.
- "Gold Glove 2021 winners". Mlb.com. Retrieved January 24, 2022.
- "Davies signing adds starting pitcher depth to D-backs". Mlb.com. Retrieved April 4, 2022.
- "Brewlyweds: Nelson, Davies Celebrate Offseason Weddings". Brewers.mblogs.com. January 9, 2017. Retrieved December 21, 2017.