2016 Major League Baseball draft
The 2016 Major League Baseball (MLB) First-Year Player Draft began on June 9, 2016, to assign amateur baseball players to MLB teams. The draft order is the reverse order of the 2015 MLB season standings. In addition, compensation picks will be distributed for players who did not sign from the 2015 MLB Draft. The Philadelphia Phillies received the first overall selection. The Los Angeles Dodgers received the 36th pick as compensation for failing to sign Kyle Funkhouser, the 35th overall selection of the 2015 MLB Draft.
|2016 Major League Baseball draft|
|Date(s)||June 9–11, 2016|
|Location||Secaucus, New Jersey|
|1,216 total selections|
|First selection||Mickey Moniak|
|First round selections||41|
Teams from the smallest markets and revenue pools are eligible for competitive balance draft picks. The first six picks, Round A, were determined by lottery between the Arizona Diamondbacks, Colorado Rockies, Cincinnati Reds, Miami Marlins, San Diego Padres, Tampa Bay Rays, Milwaukee Brewers, Cleveland Indians, Oakland Athletics, Pittsburgh Pirates, Kansas City Royals, and St. Louis Cardinals. The six preceding teams that do not receive a pick in Round A were entered into a second lottery, with the Baltimore Orioles, Minnesota Twins, and Seattle Mariners, to receive the six picks in Round B. The twelve competitive balance draft picks are the only picks allowed to be traded. The Reds received the first pick in Round A, followed by the Athletics, Rockies, Diamondbacks, Marlins, and Pirates. The Padres received the first pick of Round B, followed by the Indians, Twins, Brewers, Orioles, and Rays.
First round selectionsEdit
|*||Player did not sign|
|*||All Star Selection|
Competitive Balance Round AEdit
Other notable selectionsEdit
- Compensation picks
- Compensation pick for the Kansas City Royals signing Ian Kennedy
- Compensation pick for the Detroit Tigers signing Justin Upton
- Compensation pick for the San Francisco Giants signing Jeff Samardzija
- Compensation pick for the Miami Marlins signing Wei-Yin Chen
- Compensation pick for the Detroit Tigers signing Jordan Zimmermann
- Compensation pick for the Texas Rangers signing Ian Desmond
- Compensation pick for the Baltimore Orioles signing Yovani Gallardo
- Compensation pick for the Washington Nationals signing Daniel Murphy
- Compensation pick for the Arizona Diamondbacks signing Zack Greinke
- Compensation pick for the Chicago Cubs signing John Lackey
- Compensation pick for the Chicago Cubs signing Jason Heyward
- Compensation pick for failing to sign Kyle Funkhouser in the 2015 draft
- Compensation pick for failing to sign Brady Singer in the 2015 draft
- The Braves acquired the 40th pick from the Miami Marlins in a three-team trade. The Braves also traded Bronson Arroyo, Luis Avilán, Jim Johnson, José Peraza, and Alex Wood to the Los Angeles Dodgers for Héctor Olivera, Paco Rodriguez, and Zach Bird. The Marlins traded Mat Latos and Michael Morse to the Dodgers for Victor Araujo, Jeff Brigham, and Kevin Guzman.
- "Dodgers sign their top draft pick Walker Buehler, who is reportedly injured". dailynews.com. Retrieved July 22, 2015.
- "Competitive Balance Draft Lottery 2015". Major League Baseball. Retrieved July 22, 2015.
- "Reds Win Competitive Balance Lottery". BaseballAmerica.com. Retrieved July 22, 2015.
- Hager, Will (July 30, 2015). "REPORT: Braves acquire Olivera in 13-player trade with Marlins, Dodgers". Atlanta Sun Times. Archived from the original on January 26, 2016. Retrieved December 28, 2015.