Enzo Emanuele (born June 10, 1977 in Novara, Italy) is an Italian clinical pathologist renowned for his interdisciplinary research in the field of biological psychology. He has studied the biochemical basis of romantic interpersonal attraction and identified the neurotrophin nerve growth factor (NGF) as a key biochemical mediator of falling in love. The implications of this research have been criticized in the popular press. In 2008, his genetic research, which showed an association between serotonin and dopamine receptor gene polymorphisms and certain love traits, was awarded with the International Zdenek Klein Award for Human Ethology from the Charles University in Prague, Czech Republic.
Enzo Emanuele, MD
June 10, 1977 |
|Alma mater||Pavia Medical School
- University of Pavia
|Known for||Biomarker discovery, Interdisciplinary research|
|Awards||Zdenek Klein Award for Human Ethology (2008), Giovanni Galli Prize for the Study of Atherosclerosis (2009)|
Dr Emanuele is also well known for his studies on biomarkers of atherosclerosis. On October 3, 2009, Enzo Emanuele was awarded by the Italian Society for the Study of Atherosclerosis (SISA), Lombardy Section, with the Giovanni Galli Prize for his scientific contributions in the field of cardiovascular biomarkers.
Innovations and substantial contributions to scienceEdit
- Identification of sRAGE, the soluble form of the receptor for advanced glycation endproducts, as related to atherosclerosis, dementia, and longevity.
- Identification of the neurotrophin nerve growth factor (NGF) as a biochemical mediator of falling in love in humans.
- Genetic dissection of human mating system and love styles.
- Identification of biochemical markers of autism.
- Genetics of sporadic Alzheimer's disease.
- Identification of biochemical markers related to aggressive behaviour in domestic animals.
- Role of serotonin and omega-3 fatty acids in experimental neuroeconomics.
- Researchers led by Dr Enzo Emanuele have traced the genetic component of cellulite to particular polymorphisms in the angiotensin converting enzyme (ACE) and hypoxia-inducible factor 1A (HIF1a) genes.
- Emanuele E, Politi P, Bianchi M, Minoretti P, Bertona M, Geroldi D (Apr 2006). "Raised plasma nerve growth factor levels associated with early-stage romantic love". Psychoneuroendocrinology. 31 (3): 288–94. doi:10.1016/j.psyneuen.2005.09.002. ISSN 0306-4530. PMID 16289361. Lay summary – Reuters (29 November 2005).
- Harris, John (29 November 2005). "Is love just a chemical?". The Guardian. Retrieved 28 August 2009.
- Emanuele, E; Brondino, N; Pesenti, S; Re, S; Geroldi, D (Dec 2007). "Genetic loading on human loving styles". Neuro endocrinology letters. 28 (6): 815–21. ISSN 0172-780X. PMID 18063936.
- "Associate Editors". European Atherosclerosis Society. Retrieved 24 March 2010.
- "Giovanni Galli Prize" (in Italian). Italian Society for the Study of Atherosclerosis (SISA), Lombardy Section. Archived from the original on 22 July 2011. Retrieved 6 October 2009.
- Page at Italian Federation of Medical Associations (FNOMCeO) (in Italian)
- Editorial Board of the Journal of Special Education and Rehabilitation
- Falcone, C; Emanuele, E; D'angelo, A; Buzzi, Mp; Belvito, C; Cuccia, M; Geroldi, D (May 2005). "Plasma levels of soluble receptor for advanced glycation end products and coronary artery disease in nondiabetic men" (Free full text). Arteriosclerosis, thrombosis, and vascular biology. 25 (5): 1032–7. doi:10.1161/01.ATV.0000160342.20342.00. ISSN 1079-5642. PMID 15731496.
- Emanuele, E; D'angelo, A; Tomaino, C; Binetti, G; Ghidoni, R; Politi, P; Bernardi, L; Maletta, R; Bruni, Ac; Geroldi, D (Nov 2005). "Circulating levels of soluble receptor for advanced glycation end products in Alzheimer disease and vascular dementia" (Free full text). Archives of Neurology. 62 (11): 1734–6. doi:10.1001/archneur.62.11.1734. ISSN 0003-9942. PMID 16286548.[permanent dead link]
- Geroldi, D; Falcone, C; Minoretti, P; Emanuele, E; Arra, M; D'angelo, A (Jul 2006). "High levels of soluble receptor for advanced glycation end products may be a marker of extreme longevity in humans". Journal of the American Geriatrics Society. 54 (7): 1149–50. doi:10.1111/j.1532-5415.2006.00776.x. ISSN 0002-8614. PMID 16866696.
- Emanuele, E; Politi, P; Bianchi, M; Minoretti, P; Bertona, M; Geroldi, D (Apr 2006). "Raised plasma nerve growth factor levels associated with early-stage romantic love". Psychoneuroendocrinology. 31 (3): 288–94. doi:10.1016/j.psyneuen.2005.09.002. ISSN 0306-4530. PMID 16289361.
- Boso, M; Emanuele, E; Minoretti, P; Arra, M; Politi, P; Ucelli, Di; Barale, F (Dec 2006). "Alterations of circulating endogenous secretory RAGE and S100A9 levels indicating dysfunction of the AGE-RAGE axis in autism". Neuroscience Letters. 410 (3): 169–73. doi:10.1016/j.neulet.2006.08.092. ISSN 0304-3940. PMID 17101220.
- Boso, M; Emanuele, E; Politi, P; Pace, A; Arra, M; Ucelli, Di; Barale, F (Jan 2007). "Reduced plasma apelin levels in patients with autistic spectrum disorder". Archives of medical research. 38 (1): 70–4. doi:10.1016/j.arcmed.2006.08.003. ISSN 0188-4409. PMID 17174726.
- Emanuele, E; Lista, S; Ghidoni, R; Binetti, G; Cereda, C; Benussi, L; Maletta, R; Bruni, Ac; Politi, P (Aug 2009). "Chromosome 9p21.3 genotype is associated with vascular dementia and Alzheimer's disease". Neurobiology of Aging. 32 (7): 1231–5. doi:10.1016/j.neurobiolaging.2009.07.003. ISSN 0197-4580. PMID 19664850.
- Arra, M; Emanuele, E; Martinelli, V; Minoretti, P; Bertona, M; Geroldi, D (2007). "The M694V variant of the familial Mediterranean fever gene is associated with sporadic early-onset Alzheimer's disease in an Italian population sample". Dementia and geriatric cognitive disorders. 23 (1): 55–9. doi:10.1159/000096743. ISSN 1420-8008. PMID 17090974.
- Re, Simona; Zanoletti, Marco; Emanuele, Enzo (2009). "Association of inflammatory markers elevation with aggressive behavior in domestic dogs". Journal of Ethology. 27: 31–33. doi:10.1007/s10164-007-0079-3.
- Re, S; Zanoletti, M; Emanuele, E (Mar 2008). "Aggressive dogs are characterized by low omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acid status". Veterinary research communications. 32 (3): 225–30. doi:10.1007/s11259-007-9021-y. ISSN 0165-7380. PMID 17891468.
- Emanuele, E; Brondino, N; Bertona, M; Re, S; Geroldi, D (May 2008). "Relationship between platelet serotonin content and rejections of unfair offers in the ultimatum game". Neuroscience Letters. 437 (2): 158–61. doi:10.1016/j.neulet.2008.04.006. ISSN 0304-3940. PMID 18448251.
- Emanuele, E; Brondino, N; Re, S; Bertona, M; Geroldi, D (Jan 2009). "Serum omega-3 fatty acids are associated with ultimatum bargaining behavior". Physiology & Behavior. 96 (1): 180–3. doi:10.1016/j.physbeh.2008.09.020. ISSN 0031-9384. PMID 18940191.
- Emanuele E, Bertona M, Geroldi D (2010). "A multilocus candidate approach identifies ACE and HIF1A as susceptibility genes for cellulite". Journal of the European Academy of Dermatology and Venereology. 24 (8): 930–5. doi:10.1111/j.1468-3083.2009.03556.x. PMID 20059631.